Simple solution to Space Ports / Stations: Escape pod to bind point from ship

FlatFeet

There has been a ton of hate towards planet space ports and orbital stations (and for good reason), but this seems like the easiest solution to the issue: Escape pod from your ship to the first (or any known bind point) on the planet you are in orbit with.

It would be very simple to implement:

Once you have visited a planet once and have a bind point, you can use the escape pod on your ship to "quick travel" to any bind point on the planet you are orbiting

For story reasons, your first visit to a planet would require you to visit the orbital station (also, because you don't have any bind points yet)

The escape pod is already a usable object on your ship, but it doesn't do anything, but it should be a simple thing to implement

This is a major quality of life issue for doing daily quests, and visiting planets multiple times during your class quests (especially at the end of your Act 1).

This simple change would make travel between planets much easier to take without impacting the natural flow of the story or game, you simply cut out needless running.

I hope something like this catches on!

There has been a ton of hate towards planet space ports and orbital stations (and for good reason), but this seems like the easiest solution to the issue: Escape pod from your ship to the first (or any known bind point) on the planet you are in orbit with.

It would be very simple to implement:

Once you have visited a planet once and have a bind point, you can use the escape pod on your ship to "quick travel" to any bind point on the planet you are orbiting

For story reasons, your first visit to a planet would require you to visit the orbital station (also, because you don't have any bind points yet)

The escape pod is already a usable object on your ship, but it doesn't do anything, but it should be a simple thing to implement

This is a major quality of life issue for doing daily quests, and visiting planets multiple times during your class quests (especially at the end of your Act 1).

This simple change would make travel between planets much easier to take without impacting the natural flow of the story or game, you simply cut out needless running.

I hope something like this catches on!

You know, I've seen the escape pod door on my ship, but I've never actually tried to click it. What does it do (if anything)?

Also, I like your idea.

• 1 year later...
Not Needed. It's bad enough we have to deal with all the speeders on Fleet because people are too lazy to walk or waste an extra 30 seconds to run somewhere.

Absolutely needed.

Its not a question of having to walk / run 30 seconds. It's the 3 loading screens to get to a planet.

An escape pod to the planet allows for 2 loading screens, like every other planet without a flying space port.

Either way. it's not going to happen.

Edited by kesildas

I support this QoL improvement. As I know nothing about video game coding I cannot even begin to guess how easy or difficult this would be, but I fully support it. Now while I would love to see this given freely to everyone, or at least subscribers, I would even pay *gasp* CCs for this "ship upgrade."