Can you move the STAR WARS folder to another computer?

DiscoPuppy

There is another popular MMO out there (who shall remain nameless), that allows the user to take the folder in which the program is installed, on to another computer (or make it reside on a movable disk).

As I plan to get a new computer in Jan-Feb, I'd really like to avoid having to download and install the game plus all the patches on the new unit.

Does anyone know if I can just drag and drop the directory:

c:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\SWTOR

from my current system to my new system and expect it to operate properly?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

I am talking completely out of my arse, but I would imagine that one could pull this off by following this sequence: kick off the installer; wait for it to start downloading; stop it; copy files over from other machine; restart download. My guess is that it would "check" the existing files and finish up rather quickly.

I have not tested this. Use at your own risk.

Run the installer to place the install where you want.....it will set up your firewall ports, registry stuff.... Don't launch, don't set up account, Finish. Then overwrite the dir with your full folder from source....

To test, run Repair...

If you don't run the installer, some items wont be set up, like the firewall ports, etc....

Edited by Rasticles

Hi, Im no master at this but I was able to do just that.

My friends download speed is practically phone modem speeds, so I copied that directory to an external hard drive, then copied to his computer. Around 18 gigs.

However, the game wont run till it's technically Installed, (Registry entries and other files/folders that get installed.)

So you still have to run the Install executable that you get when you 1st try to download the game off the SWTOR sight which is about a 35 meg file.

After you run the file, it'll install the launcher, then check to make sure all files are installed and ready to go.

Worked perfect for me. Any questions, you can message me at this sight if thats allowed.

I am really curious about this too. I have a friend who has bandwidth caps so he can't d/l the game.

My plan, is to have him start the installer, let it create the directory structure, and cancel it. Then have him install the dvds I copy for him, on top of it. I think that should work, but it'd be nice to know before I burn a few discs.

*edit* wow you guys replied fast.

Edited by Qwad

Yep you can.

Download and run the launcher (up until the point it starts to download the game client) on the computer you wish to transfer it to. This will add all the necessary directories and make sure it'll be installed correctly.

Copy the Old Republic folder from computer one, to computer two via whatever means you have available. None of the files are above 2gigs, so you can trasfer the entire folder to an external HD if needs be.

Now simply replace the old republic folder on your second computer, with the one you've just copied over. Once the files transfer over, boot up the launcher, login and you should have an option under the tools (little cog wheel on the launcher in the bottom right) to verify files. Make sure you do that, just to make sure everythings in order and nothings missed.

Now boot up the game and have fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.