The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Decisions, decisions... Sentinel or Sage

RowanThursday

A bit of a fact-finder here- or opinion finder, perhaps.

I've nearly got my smuggler to the end of Hoth, and am finding that I'm in need of a bit of a change. I already have a Sith Assassin, but I'm not quite ready to go back to her- for one thing because I'm a little frustrated with the character, and for another because she's also mid-Hoth, and I'm somewhat tired of the planet. My other alt, Imperial Agent, is fun... but not really *that* much of a change from Smuggler play style, so I think it's time to start a Jedi.

I'm finding myself torn between a Sentinel or a Sage. I don't want to play Shadow, on grounds of 1) it being the mirror of Assassin, which I've already 'done', as indicated above, and 2) I'm no big fan of the double-ended lightsabre as a weapon- at least not unless it acquires the ability to use it in single-bladed mode unless specific abilities are triggered.

I've also opted not to go for the Guardian route, as I don't have a Tank mentality, and find the Tank style frankly dull, in the PVE-only gameplay I practice.. hence the choice being down to those two classes.

As far as I can see, there are merits to both...

1. Sentinel-

• Medium armour, so I can dress him or her up in smuggler gear to look more like a space-rat than a Jedi, which would be fun, longcoats and trousers etc.
  • The Kira romance, if I make the sentinel male, which I gather from hearsay is supposed to be one of the better written romance storylines- and I quite like the idea of a 'secret love' Jedi storyline, hopefully avoiding Anakin Angstwalker territory.
  • Presumably better with a lightsabre than a Consular class- I'd like it to be a functional weapon for my Jedi, not just a glowstick that he or she brandishes for no readily discernable reason when actually doing all of his or her work through Force powers.

2. Sage-

• Conversely, as a Sage, it would be fun to actually *have* decent force powers- I somewhat regretted not going down the Sorceror route with my Inquisitor, so this might be a good way to redress that balance. I'm concerned- as above- about the lightsabre becoming just a cosmetic "Hey, I'm a Jedi, look, I've got a sabre... never use it, but I've got one" glowy adornment, however from what I've read, the 'Balance' talent tree allows one to use the Force to enhance one's sabre somewhat- but does choosing a 'compromise' talent tree mean effectively self-nerfing? Thoughts please :)
  • The 'idea' of the Consular Jedi, and the structure of it, a diplomat and mystic student, sits better with me than 'thug in armour', as a class to follow, especially as I've already *done* "Big Darn Hero" with my smuggler, don't need to do that again at the moment.

As a matter of curiosity, are there 'trousers and cloak/longcoat/cape' style clothing options in light armour for the Consular? I'd like to have the option for a more 'casual' look to her, and not be in state robes all the time.

Anyway, obviously the final decision's up to me, and 'just make both and flip a coin for which one you make first' is certainly a valid strategy- I'll almost certainly try both *eventually*... but just curious as to any (preferably spoiler-free) opinions anybody might have on, say, story interest/companion entertainment value, etc?

If any of the points I've made above about the relative qualities of the two classes are flat *wrong*, please do let me know :D

For appearance the consular has more options right now because all the social gear is light only. That may/will change in the future. Consular class specific gear is mostly robes with a couple shirts/pants or tunic-type tops and pants/skirts throughout the course of the levels.

As far as gameplay the sage saber is absolutely a stat stick. No respectable sage will be swinging that in melee ever. The balance tree is about spamming telekinetic throw with instant procs it generates, not using your saber in melee. So if that's a make/break then your decision is already made.

For story, most consider the Knight story to be KOTOR3 and a lot of people dislike the Consular story. I mostly agree with that viewpoint.

Good day:

"As far as gameplay the sage saber is absolutely a stat stick."

After 39 levels, my poor sage was using his as a pointer... little did I know it was just a stat stick.

I've played both... Sent to 23 (no longer in play), Sage currently at 39.

The sage is less click-based, doesn't require a special keyboard, mouse, or heavy on key bindings to be effective.

I did like the Sentinel, but it was very squishy (even with medium armor), and extremely clicky.

Thank you.

I didn't read your post, but I rerolled from my lvl 43 Juggernaut and I'm playing my Sage now, so I think I can help you a little bit with my view of the decision.

My main problem with my Juggernaut was, that if I queue alone, I'm really weak. I should have known this, but this is my 1st wow-type MMO, I didn't know melee classes are that big of a need of a healer.

I enjoyed my Juggernaut, it has lot's of utility skills, such as jump, a throw (resets jump cd), a shorter jump with a speed buff, in Hutball the enemy team never scored a point, but I still died a lot.

About the storyline it's plain simple, don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but you pretty much kill people. Of course there's more than that.

The Consular storyline is not for those who are only interested in building an "epic" character with the strongest reputation, slaughtering everyone and not using their head. The consular storyline is more like a Diplomatic character's story, I understand it doesn't interest the majorty of the players but the bossfights are just amazing, and I really enjoy this storyline. After a retarded sith it's a relief to play a consular, but that's only me.

The main reason I chose the consular(Sage) over the Juggernaut, is because you can rely on yourself more than any other class. I'm being able to pull in 8-9 medals at warzones with good teams at lvl22, without dying, and solo Heroic 2+ quests with ease.

I would not recommend chosing a character for your Main merely based on the storyline, because once your main is 50 you can always try out the other classes. For example, I love my Sage and it fits my play style, but once I reach a point when there won't be as much to do as I'd like, I'll be sure to try out the Imperial Agent or the Smuggler storyline, as I'm interested in those.

Other things you can take into consideration when making the decisions: ship, companions, popularity of the class, the lvl50 armor's look, animations, etc.

Oh, the character's not my main- my main is, and probably will remain, the smuggler.

I'm leaning toward Sage, rather, for the first one, at any rate, seeing as from the look of it it's liable to be better for soloing. As for storyline ending at 50 etc... well, I've not taken any of them all the way to 50 yet, but, when one gets there, that's liable to be a 'start another character' moment- since I get the impression the level 50+ story is basically "big PVP brawl on Ilum", which doesn't really interest me much.

By same token- the endgame gear- well, I'm more concerned with what the gear my character'll be wearing for most of her levelling time- i.e. the oranges that I meet and like- will look like, most probably.

The 'sabre as stat-stick' is a bit of a shame, though, again, I'm guessing that's less critical against 'normals' in PVE.

We shall see :)

I'll inevitably try both sooner or later- but I'm unlikely to put two similar classes through levelling immediately one after the other. I do *wish* Shadows weren't saddled with that silly sabrestaff, if it weren't for that ungainly thing, they'd fit perfectly.

I don't want to spoil anything but the companions for Sentinel are much more dynamic. You can relate to them better in the role of your Sentinel. The Sage's 1st companion doesn't allow you to have that diplomat feel. And you won't get another companion with your Sage until you're in your mid 20's.

As for story, the Sage story is much more personal, so it's enjoyable in that sense. Sentinel is grander imo.

Gameplay: Sentinel is much more dynamic, requires more skill, and is more gear dependent than Sage. Sage has a lot of utility, self-healing, and control. Resource management is more challenging for Sentinels, as Sages (if talented and played right) can effectively have an almost endless force-pool. Sentinels though, due to being more challenging to play, don't become boring. New skills will constantly update your rotation.

I played a Sentinel for the cool factor, two lightsabers = awesome but the class resource management system + the ton of clicky abilities are a pain in the *** and eventually burned me out with frustration especially with pvp. Unfortunately I feel that there is way too much management with this class to actually get any real enjoyment out of playing it. If your the kind of hardcore person that enjoys a challenge then you will like this class, if not, then I might suggest that you stick with a ranged class because you will get far more enjoyment out of the game this way instead. Edited by SwordofSodan

Sage. There is no choice between the two.

Until sentinels are looked at more, there's no point in being one unless you absolutely hate the consular story with every fiber of your being.

Sentinels looked at for utter awesomeness? I love the class myself its dynamic and is pretty fun as heck needs very little in my book and owns many without issue in PVP.

Sentinels looked at for utter awesomeness? I love the class myself its dynamic and is pretty fun as heck needs very little in my book and owns many without issue in PVP.
This is a theme park MMO, but there is nothing "theme park" about the JK or warrior class in this game. There are far too many abilities to manage with the JK and warrior class vs other classes this is a fact. Plus the class is very dependent on all of those abilities to be effective in both PvE and PvP vs other classes which makes game-play with this class annoyingly button heavy. On top of this we have a resource system that requires us to put into it first in order to get out of it which makes the whole class a micro-management mess vs other classes. Some hardcore people such as yourself will have no problem with this while the majority of casual subscribers will. This is not Eve Online which targets and mostly caters to a niche group of hardcore gamers, this is a Star Wars MMO which targets and caters to the majority of casual gamers. Casual gamers = more subscriptions which = more revenue for EA/Bioware--understand? Edited by SwordofSodan

This is a theme park MMO, but there is nothing "theme park" about the JK or warrior class in this game. There are far too many abilities to manage with the JK and warrior class vs other classes this is a fact. Plus the class is very dependent on all of those abilities to be effective in both PvE and PvP vs other classes which makes game-play with this class annoyingly button heavy. On top of this we have a resource system that requires us to put into it first in order to get out of it which makes the whole class a micro-managing mess vs other classes. Some hardcore people such as yourself will have no problem with this while the majority of casual subscribers will. This is not Eve Online which targets and mostly caters to a niche group of hardcore gamers, this is a Star Wars MMO which targets and caters to the magority of casual gamers. Casual gamers = more subscriptions which = more revenue for EA/Bioware--understand?

What in the world does Themepark have to do with character abilities?

What in the world does Themepark have to do with character abilities?
It's just a term that is loosely thrown around to describe the over-all simplicity of the game which is aimed at casuals. There are far too many abilities with the JK/Warrior class combined with the resource system to make it simple enough to appeal to the majority of casual gamers--fair enough?

My favorite video of swtor action a sentinel played correctly doing work.

It's really really not that tough lol but then peeps can't do dps with ops or deception SINs so maybe more than 3 buttons and understanding procs and stacks and positioning is just to much for many.

Excuse me tracer missile tracer missile tracer missile sorry it didn't work bro always makes me lmao...

First off, a considerable thank you to the various people who've posted here, giving me some definite food for thought.

Well... I tried a Consular last night, got her to level 8, and liking it so far. I may actually go down the 'trying both' route, since I've thus far found Tython *far* less off-puttingly dull and 'can't wait to get off it' than Korriban was, so the prospect of setting up a Sentinel straight after doesn't seem so appalling, especially as both the ersatz R2-unit companion and the Kira/Male Sentinel relationship look like good companion angles to follow.

None the less, bearing in mind what people have discussed on the game-play style, I would have to concede that I'm definitely more of a 'ranged damage' style of person, and the 'blast mobs from a distance, then stun them and firmly shove them *back* if they have the insolence to invade my personal space' approach appeals to me more, since I'm far from being a 'hardcore gamer'. Furthermore, I've fallen in love with 'Project' as an ability, so I'd miss it, along with 'batter enemy to death with relentless gravel', or whatever that attack's called.

The 'redundancy of lightsabre' issue is still troubling me, Consular-wise, despite that. However, I dare say there's no actual *ban* on swishing the thing at mobs who get too close.

If it weren't for the infernal double-ended THING, I'd probably have gone Shadow, for a more hybrid route. Annoying that even the Wiki comments "A saberstaff can also be used with only one blade extended, or the two blades can be extended simultaneously", but the game mechanic doesn't provide the 'one blade' option.

... If anybody is about to say "Erm, yeah, it does, you just have to CTRL-RightClick on the little button on the top right of the third action bar from the left to toggle between single-and-dual-bladed modes", or something like that.. then... you know, say so :) If you're telling the truth you'll get 1000 LS points and I'll have my companions talk to your companions, do lunch and mayhem, that kind of thing, and see if we can work out a way to get your ship droid decommissioned for you :)

My favorite video of swtor action a sentinel played correctly doing work.

It's really really not that tough lol but then peeps can't do dps with ops or deception SINs so maybe more than 3 buttons and understanding procs and stacks and positioning is just to much for many.

Excuse me tracer missile tracer missile tracer missile sorry it didn't work bro always makes me lmao...

Yes, a video of a guy fighting against other people who have no idea how to play is totally compelling proof. Newsflash: Some people have actually played a sentinel and realize they're pretty bad.

Double newsflash: The DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES acknowledge that sentinels are pretty bad and need tweaking.

With respect- I think the point that's being made about the sentinel (this is the impression I'm getting anyway, since obviously given the content of the thread, I've not played one yet), is that its difficulty level is unsuitable for the casual gamer with the various stacking mechanics.

Again, from the point of view of inexperience... maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

There probably is a slight issue that the class which is most likely to appeal to a newcoming casual- "Star Wars game? Can I play a Jedi Knight? Offensive or Defensive style- ohh, offensive, I want to be able to solo because I'm not experienced enough to group-tank yet" is a train-of-thought path that definitely leads to Sentinel- perhaps shouldn't be one that requires the most dedication in-game and gaming skill to play acceptably well, or be surrounded by pitfalls that only experience can overcome.

Certainly, different classes are easier to play than others. At least, in PVE, Gunslinger, for instance, relies on pretty much the same rotation, just with occasional situational variations and being able to gauge the right companion for a given fight- i.e. "Small groups of standards with one or two Strong apiece? Risha- unleash enough combined DPS on them hard and fast to take them down before they do too much damage, vs. "Elite flanked by Standards? - Corso, flash grenade on the elite, murder the standards, then hope Corso lives long enough to keep the Elite off my back till I've ground him down enough for the hit point burn war to go my way."... stuff goes on with stacking buffs, of course, but it doesn't really seem to require much attention from the player, compared with critical issues like making sure you've always got at least one interrupt or your dodge *not* on cooldown, in case the Elite decides to spam something damaging.

I get the impression from what's said here, that correct management of buffs and stacks is a rather more critical skill for a Sentinel- presumably other things are correspondingly easier to compensate, I don't know- any more than I know how quickly these things become second nature when you're used to playing it.

Remember too, that, rather than "L2P", so much... people are different, and different temperaments/approaches suit different classes. I *know* I'm weak in melee, at least partially because I get immersed enough to panic, and I also function intuitively rather than logically- so although my subconscious may well have got "This is the right ability to use now because X Y Z", all that my *conscious* mind processes is "X feels like the right ability at this point"- and that process runs more smoothly if you've got time and distance between you and the target, so that you can see how the health bar changes in response to what you did, and that can be fed back into the subconscious for next time.

A melee combat class would be a definite challenge for me- which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, learning a different play style would quite possibly be invigorating and fun... but I'm pretty sure I'd be an abyssmally bad Sentinel for quite some time :D

Edited by RowanThursday

With respect- I think the point that's being made about the sentinel (this is the impression I'm getting anyway, since obviously given the content of the thread, I've not played one yet), is that its difficulty level is unsuitable for the casual gamer with the various stacking mechanics.

Again, from the point of view of inexperience... maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

There probably is a slight issue that the class which is most likely to appeal to a newcoming casual- "Star Wars game? Can I play a Jedi Knight? Offensive or Defensive style- ohh, offensive, I want to be able to solo because I'm not experienced enough to group-tank yet" is a train-of-thought path that definitely leads to Sentinel- perhaps shouldn't be one that requires the most dedication in-game and gaming skill to play acceptably well, or be surrounded by pitfalls that only experience can overcome.

Certainly, different classes are easier to play than others. At least, in PVE, Gunslinger, for instance, relies on pretty much the same rotation, just with occasional situational variations and being able to gauge the right companion for a given fight- i.e. "Small groups of standards with one or two Strong apiece? Risha- unleash enough combined DPS on them hard and fast to take them down before they do too much damage, vs. "Elite flanked by Standards? - Corso, flash grenade on the elite, murder the standards, then hope Corso lives long enough to keep the Elite off my back till I've ground him down enough for the hit point burn war to go my way."... stuff goes on with stacking buffs, of course, but it doesn't really seem to require much attention from the player, compared with critical issues like making sure you've always got at least one interrupt or your dodge *not* on cooldown, in case the Elite decides to spam something damaging.

I get the impression from what's said here, that correct management of buffs and stacks is a rather more critical skill for a Sentinel- presumably other things are correspondingly easier to compensate, I don't know- any more than I know how quickly these things become second nature when you're used to playing it.

Remember too, that, rather than "L2P", so much... people are different, and different temperaments/approaches suit different classes. I *know* I'm weak in melee, at least partially because I get immersed enough to panic, and I also function intuitively rather than logically- so although my subconscious may well have got "This is the right ability to use now because X Y Z", all that my *conscious* mind processes is "X feels like the right ability at this point"- and that process runs more smoothly if you've got time and distance between you and the target, so that you can see how the health bar changes in response to what you did, and that can be fed back into the subconscious for next time.

A melee combat class would be a definite challenge for me- which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, learning a different play style would quite possibly be invigorating and fun... but I'm pretty sure I'd be an abyssmally bad Sentinel for quite some time :D

It's really really not that hard period. Especially PVE its a walk in the park for the most part. The hardest part is understanding simply you have a priority based rotation off of your focus bar you generate focus you consume it it's that simple in the nut shell. If that's hard its beyond me.

Edited by LordbishopX

So... really no more difficult than, as a 'slinger, understanding that:

"If I pull off rapid shots now, then I'd better be in a position where I can survive on Flurry of Bolts and a few low energy attacks for a while until my energy regenerates"... if I *can't*, then I need to do something that's less energy draining next"...

Only coupled with the additional mechanic that a Sentinel has focus *generating* abilities, other than the 'slinger's only one 'generate a lot of energy' power, whose name I forget :D

Put like that, it doesn't sound impossible. I'll almost certainly attempt it at some point, I would like to be at least passably competent with a sabre- and I mean a decent sabre, not the Assassins' "two stuck together to pose wi-- oops, there goes my arm again" THING.

:)

(And yes, my hatred for the THING is now actually reaching levels where I've seriously considered doing a Shadow and just... not bothering with the Charge/Discharge mechanic, so as to use a decent sabre with it... but I suspect that's a "Get on first name terms and start exchanging birthday and Christmas cards with every medical centre droid on every planet" strategy... :( )

Edited by RowanThursday

So... really no more difficult than, as a 'slinger, understanding that:

"If I pull off rapid shots now, then I'd better be in a position where I can survive on Flurry of Bolts and a few low energy attacks for a while until my energy regenerates"... if I *can't*, then I need to do something that's less energy draining next"...

Only coupled with the additional mechanic that a Sentinel has focus *generating* abilities, other than the 'slinger's only one 'generate a lot of energy' power, whose name I forget :D

Put like that, it doesn't sound impossible. I'll almost certainly attempt it at some point, I would like to be at least passably competent with a sabre- and I mean a decent sabre, not the Assassins' "two stuck together to pose wi-- oops, there goes my arm again" THING.

:)

(And yes, my hatred for the THING is now actually reaching levels where I've seriously considered doing a Shadow and just... not bothering with the Charge/Discharge mechanic, so as to use a decent sabre with it... but I suspect that's a "Get on first name terms and start exchanging birthday and Christmas cards with every medical centre droid on every planet" strategy... :( )

If you can play a gunslinger you dang sure can play a sentinel its the same mechanic basically in reverse a Gunslinger starts with energy and has to consume replenish it and a sent starts with 0 has various attacks to build focus and others to do mad damage and consume think your tactical advantage only on a much much larger scale you get a ton of focus in comparison to consume one attack can give you six focus to consume. So your job becomes mainly balancing that same as as a Gunslinger you balance ur energy and Tactical Advantage.

The sentinel also has a mechanic called centering that builds to 30 and opens up a special attack or ability that's it its not magically hard or complex for real its simple.

I like to think of it a kin to whack a mole if you place your skills in order of a priority rotation inline you can basically almost just click them as they light up down the line for the most part lol.

Also to add in want a much much simpler range attacker its sage by the mile all melee are at a disadvantage in this game but I like playing under dogs myself. So note if you do play a range character I will kill you on sight in pvp its not personal just revenge for BW PVE range vs melee in balance lol also yall squishy lol.

Edited by LordbishopX

Thanks! That does make sense to me, sounds as if the Centering stack is something to keep ticking over in 'third priority', basically- with 'keeping alive' first, 'doing the right attack for my current focus level and where I want it to be in time for the next move' second and then third... I've got the opportunity to build a bit of Centering here, let's take it... hopefully saving it up to give the mob a big unwelcome surprise along the same lines as "Hello, guess what, you're low on health and my SpeedShot has finished cooldown now!" surprise given out by a gunslinger at the right moment.

Heh, so the only problem now is that I'd miss being able to pull astromech heads out of the ground and Project them at surprised people Flesh Raiders... but, meh, it's not like my Consular is going to disappear, and having a Sentinel as well would at least reduce my temptation to nerf her into a single-bladed lightsabre using Shadow, or anything similarly suicidal.

Heh, and chances of seeing me in PvP are probably somewhere around the same level as the chances of seeing me as a Republic Trooper.

Edited by RowanThursday

Thanks! That does make sense to me, sounds as if the Centering stack is something to keep ticking over in 'third priority', basically- with 'keeping alive' first, 'doing the right attack for my current focus level and where I want it to be in time for the next move' second and then third... I've got the opportunity to build a bit of Centering here, let's take it... hopefully saving it up to give the mob a big unwelcome surprise along the same lines as "Hello, guess what, you're low on health and my SpeedShot has finished cooldown now!" surprise given out by a gunslinger at the right moment.

Heh, so the only problem now is that I'd miss being able to pull astromech heads out of the ground and Project them at surprised people Flesh Raiders... but, meh, it's not like my Consular is going to disappear, and having a Sentinel as well would at least reduce my temptation to nerf her into a single-bladed lightsabre using Shadow, or anything similarly suicidal.

Heh, and chances of seeing me in PvP are probably somewhere around the same level as the chances of seeing me as a Republic Trooper.

Oh if your just PVE only sentinel is a breeze on centering u just wait for your ability like zen to light up and use it on any strong mobs but it doesn't stay for long so have to consume it or can lose it it just builds naturally and something you don't have to think about building and use when the abilities light up.

You change from projecting to leaping from a mile away on top of mobs and smashing them quickly in to the ground in the nut shell doing a sweet leap turn when leaping to a mob behind u and aoe killing them in one move at low level is baller in my book lol.

Edited by LordbishopX

Well, my Sentinel- Bethan January - has now got herself to the 'annoying the Migrant Merchants' Guild' stage :) She's swishing the orange gear sabre from her quest- retrofitted with a green crystal from her good decision to learn archaeology and artifice- and a slightly-below-spec-but-the-only-one-I-could-find sabre with a yellow/orange crystal from the shop underneath the senate building. Looks pretty, though I think I shall be going blue/green on the sabres whenever I find another orange one to mod :)

Despite being a Jedi, she's quantifiably more of a bit... ahem, more of a short-tempered and snippy person than her cousin Melody-the-Smuggler-with-a-heart-of-gold. Bethan's light side, but does have to remember to control her temper- a lot... otherwise double-crossing Twi'leks get punched in the face again :D She's grabbed herself a smuggler-style padded jacket as well, much more her style than Jedi regalia, I think.

I take your point about Force-leap, it's enormous fun. I am finding myself action-bar watching a little more than I'd like in fights, but that's diminishing as I get a little more acquainted with the class, and considering that the last time I had a character at this level, I was still mouse-clicking abilities, it's generally speaking all progress. :)

So... though the Sage is far from abandoned, very happy indeed with the Sentinel.

I'm coming at this from perspective of the mirror classes - my main is a Sniper (equivalent to a gunslinger) and I have a lvl 37 Marauder (Sentinel equivalent), so some of the names I use will not be the same, but hopefully I'm able to explain what I mean well enough. Just a few thoughts to help you choose and know what to expect.

Sniper/Gunslinger rotation, at least for me, is relatively straightforward - use the abilities with channel times or long cast times after the instantaneous, big-energy ones. This sustains high energy and makes it much easier to have an actual rotation of ability x, y, z, etc. And as long as you go in that order you'll generally tend to be alright. There are some procs and reactive things to watch for, but along the Marksman path (the first skill tree) at least it's not terribly important. The most priority you encounter is using Takedown when they're below 30%, Followthrough after a Snipe/Ambush, and Laze Target to set up the crit for the Snipe (Charged Shot). Other than that, pretty easy to grasp, and you generally don't really get any new mechanics or anything as you level that you have to learn, it all just builds upon one another.

For Marauders/Sentinels, however, the priority system has much more to watch out for, and on top of that you're also getting new mechanics that change the way you play and what priorities to watch for. My experience is predominantly along the Carnage (middle tree) path, but from what I gather the other two trees are similar. You begin with relatively straightforward rotations, but then you get Ataru form, which is what that spec is all about. In Ataru, your extra hits give you a proc. During that proc you can use one of your force abilities (Force Scream for Marauders) to be an instant crit. Now, you also get Gore shortly afterwards, which is a 100% armor penetration ability. So now when you get the proc for the auto-crit Force Scream, you use Gore to get the armor penetration, then use Force Scream for the crit, and then use Ravage (the channeled, multi-strike ability). This part remains consistent until you get the top ability, Massacre, which basically replaces Vicious Slash on your hotbar and automatically procs an Ataru strike.

On top of this you also have Fury, which is what powers the buffs that you basically give yourself and your allies - build up 30 stacks and then use an ability. And you also of course have your resource (rage for Marauders) that actually lets you use anything other than your basic attack. So for much of the gameplay of the Sentinel you're actually watching the little icons above your hotbar rather than being able to sit back and watch the action, and knowing what to use when makes all the difference between feeling like you're doing well and wondering why on Earth the class is so weak. It's not difficult, it's just a matter of keeping an eye out for the procs and managing your rage to allow you to use the right abilities at the right time. But you get used to it very quickly, and you have plenty of opportunities to practice with the abilities you have before they add in new ones to the mix.

Honestly if you're enjoying it stick with it and see how you like it as the class grows. Also don't be afraid to try different specs - each tree for Sentinels/Marauders plays very differently. The first one is all about damage over time, and I've heard it's easier to play and much more survivable, since crits on each tick of damage heals you. And the third tree is all about slower but bigger strikes and increased damage for your force abilities, so you may want to take a look as well.