The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank Rotations for Hard Modes and Ops

MactheSmuggler

Hi folks,

I'm just starting to get into more regular hard mode runs and am planning on jumping in my guild's operation run this week (likely as an OT). I don't have a TON of tanking experience as Ive spent the majority of my time at 50 as a parakeet. So in that vein I was wondering what sort of rotations you guys generally use. Heat manaegement in tank spec (currently 30/0/11) is much more an issue here than w/ CP so any help would be great. Between Neural Dart, Sonic Missile, DFA, rocket punch, rail shot, incendiary missile, explosive dart and unload I think I've got a pretty good idea of the main damage dealing/taunt skill involved (along with support skills like Quell, Electro Dart, Carbonize, Energy Shield, etc) but am trying to put together a coherent rotation.

Thanks for any input!

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

thats your build, forget the parakeet build. Tanking in swtor means you got to be quick with the tab key. You start with the explosive dart on the weakest target, its better if its in the middle, careful with crowd control targets, keep that in mind. Than you jet charge to higher ranked target using flame burst on it. Your priority target is the toughest mob which could be boss or gold star mob. use rocket punch on them followed by rail shot. If theres a target which you havent touched you may use grapple on it. Now its important for first runs to tell your dps to start on lesser mobs 1st cause they die almost instantly and you have time to build threat on high ranked mobs. Use guard on dps not on healers. In time you will start your tanking in such a way that you will leave the cc ones far away and be surrounded with the other - time for flame sweep. Another way is to start with death from above but again careful with cc. Using carbonize is good but dont open with it. Ive seen people do it and its pointless on pull cause its not making any threat. use it after you used death from above or flame sweep. Dont be afraid to use rapid shots they are real good to finish a weak mob or when you are past 50 heat. heat blast only at 50 heat or its pointless. The best way is to use it after you reach 50 and than thermal override and use flam thrower. A lot of things come to my mind now about tanking and rotations but this is the mandatory stuff. When on 70 % use taunt and drop a few rapid shots. when you are at 100 heat mass taunt. On boss fights it will be good to use taunt on cd especially on ops when you are never sure when your dps may pull agro.

The above spec is correct, as is most of the advice. However, you should not get above 40 heat almost ever. That's just basic BH mechanics. If you get to 75 you better have Vent Heat ready.

For AOE packs, a DFA following by charge, carbonize, FT (should be able to hit them all for at least a tick or two), Oil Slick, Flame Sweep and start tabbing.