Best Companion?

Kourage

I'm Bodyguard spec at the moment. I have Skadge tank geared about as best I can. I tried Blizz, but the range tank thing just doesn't work as well as melee tank. I used all my companions as I got them. I haven't geared any of the 1st 3 well enough to test them out.

• What goes best with Bodyguard?
  • What goes best with Arsenal?

I leveled 10-49 as Arsenal and I used Mako, primarily because I didnt want to invest in gearing another companion.

At 50 I retrained as a healer. I found with Mako up, we could last FOREVER, but not kill anything. So I tried the other companions:

Skaadge: He's a good tank. Doesnt do a lot of damage, can hold aggro well. Personally I cant stand his voice, face or stupid comments, so I never use him. I have him in a full energized set. Cant hide that face...

Blizz: He's an ok tank. Does decent damage, can more or less hold aggro well. I find him cute in the outfit from the space station above ilum. I have him in tionese and energized gear, but I dislike that I cant see the gear on him.

Torian: My go to companion. When geared, he does AMAZING damage. I have him in my columi/tionese dps set (in case I have to swap roles for an op).

Gault: When geared he probably does more damage then Torian, but its single target dps and kinda flimsy. So he shoots something, everything shoots back at him, you throw a heal on him, everything but his target then turns and fires on you. I have him in some random purples that I got from HM where not snipers/ops were present.

Mako: Poor dps. Ok CC. But your heals are stronger and better, and your cc is better. Not worth it.

for a bounty hunter, your companion will probably be either a healer or a dps,

if you are a healer, your gonna want a dps since you'll be able to keep them up and they'll do the work for you. tanks just dont kill fast enough and most of the time you dont need to heal them as often. your dps should be able to handle their tanking roles as well.

if your dps then you'll want mako for majority of the fights since you can tank fairly well in pve since your wearing heavy armor so you have quite the reduced damage and you can kill fairly quickly as well. though if your fighting a large group of weak units, having torian out can help quicken the kills since you probably will kill them faster than they can damage you.

tanks arent very needed in either situations unless your fighting someone that hits really hard and has a lot of life and it'll end up a stamina fight and your a healer. otherwise stick to either torian or mako

gault is just a bit too squishy unless your powertech tank but we're not in that section

Mostly, I'm concerned with which to use to solo Poisonous Strategy on Ilum. Skadge in level 50 tank gear takes a lot of damage from the 3 silver pull, or from a gold. I don't know how you'd keep Torian up for that as a healer, but I don't have him geared enough to try it.

As a level 50 healer, I have only really experienced two companions Mako and Blizz.

As other have pointed out, Mako has virtually no damage potential. Outside of weak mobs she isn't killing anything. But what Mako strides at is stuning targets. Set her on an elite and you have no worries while you take down the trash or the other elite - even with gimped dps.

As for Blizz, he tends to spend a lot of fights stunned. It never seem to fail. Get in a fight with three mobs, blizz jumps in and before you know it he is stunned on the side line. And since he is the range tank, I can only imagine what would happen with the melee dps or tank companions so I don't use Skadge or Torian.

As for Gault, he maybe range dps but I question his effectiveness in a fight. I really don't know what CC he has and his gear is still on the light side for me.

I know this isn't much help to resolve the OPs question but maybe it will add a little insight.

Bodyguard spec here atm. I have Blizz geared in a combination of Tionese/Columi/Rakata Supercomando and he is a little beast. Great tank, gets the job done when I find a need a tank. Like someone above me mentioned I put my Columi dps set on Torian and gave him a nice crafted electrostaff...man does he tear stuff up now! Torian is my go to when doing dailys now.

I want to like Gault, really I do, and my Powertech friends swear by him, but even in a mix of Columi/Tionese/Rakata (i am an Armormech on my BH so my companions get nice stuff), I just dont like him. Torian take stuff down much faster, and just meshes with my playstyle better.

While leveling as Arsenal it was Mako, Mako and more Mako..but we all know she rocks for DPS BHs :)

Check on the GTN for cheap gear you can make as well. Also, you could use Centurion commendations as well as that's pretty quick too.

Went from 25-41 over the weekend on my BH Merc Arsenal, just using Mako all the way. Probably work on gearing up Blizz later when they implement dual spec so I can have a healing spec w/o having to pay to keep switching back and forth :p

Edited by Bloodcharged