The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Baseline stats for tanking HMs?

TarheelShadow

Like the title says, is there a baseline (or a guideline) of what defensive stats you should be looking at before attempting to tank a HM fp? I attempted for the first time tonight, in what I thought was a decent set-up, and I got rocked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

As a note, I am currently running 21/2/18 (Carolina Parakeet) mainly due to the fact that I spend a significant portion of my playtime in PvP.

Parakeet is not a tanking spec. You should not be using it for tanking HMs. If you want to PVP while still tanking, try Taugrim's build. It's very strong PVP but it doesn't really lose much if anything for tanking, just a few shield talents but that's about it. I'm using a modified Iron Fist build and have tanked just fine in hard modes without great gear.

Bare minimum is probably around 15k HP unbuffed and obviously go for high AC/defense. As long as you have all level 50 orange/purple gear you should be fine. If you're still struggling, try getting some stims which provide a huge boost to your HP and defense.

If the tank can be healed then it is fine. There is no such thing as 'stressing the healers' with the assumption that healers are timid people who can't hold up to having to press more buttons and play well. There is absolutely no problem making a healer heal more and faster if their toon is capable of it.

If the tank can be healed then it is fine. There is no such thing as 'stressing the healers' with the assumption that healers are timid people who can't hold up to having to press more buttons and play well. There is absolutely no problem making a healer heal more and faster if their toon is capable of it.

That is absolutely ridiculous. If as a healer, I am constantly having to worry about spamming heals on the tank because he isn't geared or specced properly, then there is a problem.

Just because I can keep a poorly geared or specced tank alive doesn't mean thats how it should be. It takes away your ability to react to other situations or changes in the fight that may require you to focus on a dps or off tank who is taking damage. Or someone who makes a mistake for that matter. It's things like this that cause wipes.

Using your line of logic, as a dps, there is no problem if I slack off and couldn't be bothered playing properly because the other dps will pick up my slack.

Your attitude is poor.

i have successfully tanked HM FE in full DPS spec (7-3-31) while wearing cent/champion supercommando gear. parakeet makes it easier.
Your point being?

FE is one of the easiest HMs and the bosses are a complete joke. The hardest fights are probably some of the droid pulls, but good CC makes them just as trivial. Honestly, I'd even say BT is harder.

Honestly if you're insistent on tanking in DPS spec I hope no one groups with you. All it does is hurt your party and make things harder on them. Would you want a healer in DPS spec? I wouldn't.

Edited by hulkweazel

• 2 weeks later...

LOL. Awful awful horrible awful BAD. You're living in denial. You want it all. You want the glory of being the backbone of a raid but you also want the good pvp skills. It isn't going to happen. (At least not until dual spec)

And if you really believe the things you say... well, I certainly wouldn't ever want to be grouped with you.

reviving this thread as i would like an answer on base stats for HM's

my current stats look like this

16497 hp

7485 armor

49.94% DR

13.78% DC

44.08% SC

36.32% SA

1125 aim

1400 end

im running a 30/8/3 spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogZMsbZ0c.1

i can always take heat blast if it really is any good.

Edited by casshern

16497 hp

7485 armor

49.94% DR

13.78% DC

44.08% SC

36.32% SA

1125 aim

1400 end

im running a 30/8/3 spec

Take that one point out of prototype cylinders and put it into Heat blast. There's no reason not to take HB, sure it isn't the best 31 pointer around but its a hell of a lot better than PC.

16497 hp

7485 armor

49.94% DR

13.78% DC

44.08% SC

36.32% SA

1125 aim

1400 end

im running a 30/8/3 spec

Personally i would remove the 3 points in Integrated Cardio Package (3% end) and put them into Iron Fist (6% RP damage) and Heat Blast. While Heat Blast doesn't do alot of damage, it actually CONSUMES heat instead of generating it. This makes it alot easier to keep your heat at sub 40, thus allowing more flamebursts and whatnot instead of relying solely on Rapid Shots.

Also your stats for starting HM's is more than enough.

If you're trying to get into HMFP's then it's going to depend on the healer in your group as much as what your stats are. A good player with low stats with a good healer will be fine.

The keys are to NOT try to pull to much - use group CC's if available, be proactive w/ cd's and always ensure you're healer is ready.

Your point being?

FE is one of the easiest HMs and the bosses are a complete joke. The hardest fights are probably some of the droid pulls, but good CC makes them just as trivial. Honestly, I'd even say BT is harder.

Honestly if you're insistent on tanking in DPS spec I hope no one groups with you. All it does is hurt your party and make things harder on them. Would you want a healer in DPS spec? I wouldn't.

what a joke,

my pyro can tank BT with dps gears,

u said BT is harder?