Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

IGN review of TOR(Must Read)

DragonAgeOrgins

Whether being formulaic is considered a negative or not depends on whether or not you like the formula. I don't mind either way, so it didn't impact my score, but I know that others might find its closeness to World of Warcraft to be a massive negative. When I say an MMO is formulaic (and while I didn't use the word "formulaic" in my review, I agree that that was the sentiment), I mean that it follows several very specific tried-and-true structures for its systems.

Combat still uses the tank/healer/damage dealer trinity, and is still done through a series of virtual dice-rolls. The only skills required of the player are resource management, knowing the right ability rotations, and being able to move/target enemies as needed.

Character advancement uses a standard talent and ability system (with ranks for abilities – which are considered somewhat archaic at this point), and, when you reach the level cap, further advancement comes from an endless chase for gear. The quest structure is still highly "formulaic" (kill this guy, grab his stuff, and bring it back here), albeit enhanced by an excellent story and dialogue system.

I happen to still enjoy most of these MMO systems, though I also know many tire of it. But this is why there's a new wave of MMOs that are shifting away from the formula in some respect. The Secret World is doing away with leveling entirely, and Tera is greatly changing the combat system. Guild Wars 2 is making sweeping changes across the board – questing, combat and grouping mechanics are all being reinvented.

Comments:

So It's not just me. I gotten the stale old response "Maybe MMO's are not for you" when I complained about the grind. While the truth of the matter is. Every is sick to death of leveling/grinding. Don't get me wrong..they still want MMO's...

But to the people played in warcraft people have gotten their fill of leveling. (Grind to 1-85 no thank you)Going back to grind mobs over and over. I know Guild Wars 2 for example is throwing away the grinding. While this is not a complete review. This focus on formula leveling aspect of it.

This game could been so much better if they didn't play it safe and go with Everquest and Warcraft boring old repeated cycling of grinding. The game would have still be fun but that to me is the problem with the game. I didn't expect a grind. I expected a next generation MMO with a new formula that didn't involve grinding.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218701p1.html?RSSwhen2012-02-14_154400&RSSid=1218701

Edited by DragonAgeOrgins

When you called Leveling up to max level in WoW was a "Grind" i knew u were casual as all hell and didn't care for your review.

You know your right. It's proven that catering to the "Self Proclaimed" Hardcore Player's is a complete waste of time. Don't believe me? Warcraft was doing great with Litch King, many called it casual favorite. Then boom, they changed everything. They added "Hardcore raids" so hard and a complete waste of time, have you grinding your teeth for hours.

Then in CATA for the hardcores. They lost 2 million sub's in under a year and they might never get out of that decline. In fact, last quarter they lost another 100k and said they are going back to Lich King forumla. Like it or not, casual take over a majority part of the game. While Hardcore's are a mintory and it's proven failure even fatal to success of a company to listen to them.

who cares at this point, you bought the game, your playing it, your not doing research to make a new purchase, at this point reviews and blogs about the game are a mute point here in the game forums, plus myself I never read reviews because the only review that matters to me is my own..:)

I don't think "Grinding" means what you think it means. 9+ straight hours of standing in one spot killing the same mob 1000+ times over, repeating every day for 6 months for no reason, purpose or benefit other then to raise your level is "grinding". I've grinded in Final Fantasy XI & XIV for hundreds of hours starting day one on each MMO. In the hundreds of hours I've spent with TOR since Beta 6+ months ago, including lvling the same class over 80+ lvls after a character wipe, I haven't experienced a single hour of "Grinding".

And from what I've seen of GW2's anti-grind design is basically the same as TORs, they give players a variety of different things to do at various locations and new quests feed to them as they explore from NPC's who approach the players. From what I understand.

Whether being formulaic is considered a negative or not depends on whether or not you like the formula. I don't mind either way, so it didn't impact my score, but I know that others might find its closeness to World of Warcraft to be a massive negative. When I say an MMO is formulaic (and while I didn't use the word "formulaic" in my review, I agree that that was the sentiment), I mean that it follows several very specific tried-and-true structures for its systems.

Combat still uses the tank/healer/damage dealer trinity, and is still done through a series of virtual dice-rolls. The only skills required of the player are resource management, knowing the right ability rotations, and being able to move/target enemies as needed.

Character advancement uses a standard talent and ability system (with ranks for abilities – which are considered somewhat archaic at this point), and, when you reach the level cap, further advancement comes from an endless chase for gear. The quest structure is still highly "formulaic" (kill this guy, grab his stuff, and bring it back here), albeit enhanced by an excellent story and dialogue system.

I happen to still enjoy most of these MMO systems, though I also know many tire of it. But this is why there's a new wave of MMOs that are shifting away from the formula in some respect. The Secret World is doing away with leveling entirely, and Tera is greatly changing the combat system. Guild Wars 2 is making sweeping changes across the board – questing, combat and grouping mechanics are all being reinvented.

Comments:

So It's not just me. I gotten the stale old response "Maybe MMO's are not for you" when I complained about the grind. While the truth of the matter is. Every is sick to death of leveling/grinding. Don't get me wrong..they still want MMO's...

But to the people played in warcraft people have gotten their fill of leveling. (Grind to 1-85 no thank you)Going back to grind mobs over and over. I know Guild Wars 2 for example is throwing away the grinding. While this is not a complete review. This focus on formula leveling aspect of it.

This game could been so much better if they didn't play it safe and go with Everquest and Warcraft boring old repeated cycling of grinding. The game would have still be fun but that to me is the problem with the game. I didn't expect a grind. I expected a next generation MMO with a new formula that didn't involve grinding.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218701p1.html?RSSwhen2012-02-14_154400&RSSid=1218701

Well - we'll see how those games do.

There is an appeal to doing away with leveling and overhauls to combat systems.

However you can point to current games like EvE and say they are drastically different from the "standard" mmo system. Star Wars Galaxies was drastically different from the "standard" system and both of those only appealed to a niche market of players.

Now - whoever wronte this review, it is of course a personal opinion - just because he wonte it for IGN means absolutely nothing to me as far as credibility - it's just an opinion.

I happen to love this game. The advancement for me is the storyline. The "grind" of leveling, combat, etc is all a way of advancing the storyline, not the other way around as it appears to be for this gentleman.

I am thrilled with the direction Bioware has taken their mmo. The combat is drastically different from WoW in respects that you are regularly engaging groups of enemies(if you have not leveled lately in WoW a majority of it involves fighting 1-2 monsters a fight)

The Story elements are where this game is shining. How it will turn out 6-12 months from now I have no idea since by then a lot of the content I am really enjoying I'll be finished with, but for now I am ecstatic with how it ihas gone.

wow was a level grind at launch after the 1st year then there was no grind.

I'd call it more of a quest-grind. There is no reason at anytime to grind mobs for xp in WoW anymore. It still takes quite a bit of time. Just much less than it used to.

Hahah IGN. They stopped being informative years ago, when they tried half assed-ly to follow MMORPG.com's style of website.

They always expect something else from a game, even when the games developers have been upfront all along about how the game is and will be.

Also, that link... It's pretty much a biased summary of a blog. In short it's not even worth the dirt off your shoes.

Edited by renegadeimp

This game is about as close to WoW or any other MMORPG as...a kick in the nads.

This is a single player game that forces you to play online, Dungeon Siege 2 was as much an MMO as this game. Quake and Settlers 7 are as much an MMO as this game...

All they did was write 8 stories and put them in the same world, threw in some multi-player dungeons. That does not make it an MMO.

And before anyone says that MMO only means its an online game played by a "massive" amount of people...look at the games I mentioned above.

Quake, played by millions online

Dungeon Siege 2, played by some 500,000 online

The Settlers 7, forced everyone that bought it to play it online, sold over 1 million copies.

Throw in every game on Battlenet.

None are called MMOs...there are 5 people on Quesh right now on my server, a server that had queues near 2 hours at one time. No MMO I have ever played had such a small amount of people in a zone 2 months after release...zoning into fleet, 18 people 11am on a Saturday...lol...MMO?

2 minutes at fleet, 1 person LFG, 1 person asking how to get back to Taris from a flashpoint...no one answers...3 minutes gone by. Community? This is not an MMO.

/sits back and waits for excuses and reasons that make as much sense as that review of the game

You know your right. It's proven that catering to the "Self Proclaimed" Hardcore Player's is a complete waste of time. Don't believe me? Warcraft was doing great with Litch King, many called it casual favorite. Then boom, they changed everything. They added "Hardcore raids" so hard and a complete waste of time, have you grinding your teeth for hours.

Then in CATA for the hardcores. They lost 2 million sub's in under a year and they might never get out of that decline. In fact, last quarter they lost another 100k and said they are going back to Lich King forumla. Like it or not, casual take over a majority part of the game. While Hardcore's are a mintory and it's proven failure even fatal to success of a company to listen to them.

It's because the casual formula is FUN! And altho a lot of gamers find number crunching/psycho challenges fun, it's really just a headache and waste of 'life' time to progress and get to that point for most.

When I log into a game, I do so for fun, not a second full time job or aggravation or stress.

This is a single player game that forces you to play online, Dungeon Siege 2 was as much an MMO as this game. Quake and Settlers 7 are as much an MMO as this game...

All they did was write 8 stories and put them in the same world, threw in some multi-player dungeons. That does not make it an MMO.

And before anyone says that MMO only means its an online game played by a "massive" amount of people...look at the games I mentioned above.

The Settlers 7, forced everyone that bought it to play it online, sold over 1 million copies.

None are called MMOs...there are 5 people on Quesh right now on my server, a server that had queues near 2 hours at one time. No MMO I have ever played had such a small amount of people in a zone 2 months after release...zoning into fleet, 18 people 11am on a Saturday...lol...MMO?

2 minutes at fleet, 1 person LFG, 1 person asking how to get back to Taris from a flashpoint...no one answers...3 minutes gone by. Community? This is not an MMO.

/sits back and waits for excuses and reasons that make as much sense as that review of the game

excuses for your own personal opinion?

I mean come on man - your opinion is right in your mind only. If you're not enjoying the gaming experience, regardless of whether you think it is a single player online game or an mmo, then make the decision to stop playing it.

Expecting a game to be tailored to what you want is a silly expectation. Bioware has a design strategy in place that clearly makes the game unfun for YOU to play. It makes the game extremely fun for ME to play. They clearly place more emphasis and are trying to lure players like me. Thats a decision they HAD to make.

So don't play the game, no one is putting a gun to your head to log on - I hope.

Comments:

1-85 A grind? It takes like 2 weeks... 1-50 in SWTOR? It takes like 2 weeks also... Neither of these are "grinds." Clearly someone never played any MMO that came out before 2009. Anarchy Online ring a bell? Try grinding 1-220 lol. Jesus Christ some people are just too lazy for their own good.

1-85 A grind? It takes like 2 weeks... 1-50 in SWTOR? It takes like 2 weeks also... Neither of these are "grinds." Clearly someone never played any MMO that came out before 2009. Anarchy Online ring a bell? Try grinding 1-220 lol. Jesus Christ some people are just too lazy for their own good.

I played MMO's in everquest. Way before your kiddie Blizzard ever came out with warcraft. I bet warcraft was your first mmos. I was slaying creatures in everquest while you were still learning how to turn on a computer. And yes, 1-85 is a horrible grind. You have warcraft fan boi written all over you. Some people are too lazy and I'm responding to one.

Quest Grinding isn't fun-lazy has nothing to do with it. I have a job, if I want work. I play a video game for fun? see the difference of course you don't.

I'd call it more of a quest-grind. There is no reason at anytime to grind mobs for xp in WoW anymore. It still takes quite a bit of time. Just much less than it used to.

WoW does not take a lot of time to level cap, at all. I've gotten 6 or 7 85s and had every single class capped in wotlk.

They're not massively together, they're just playing at the same time. With your way of thinking you could say Farmville is a MMO. Yes there is a difference between Online play and Massively Multiplayer Online play.

I'm sure they're aware of the server population problems. Mine is fine. Then again I got put on the most populated one.

People's time ran out, left the server or transferred(aka rerolled) to a different one once the server cap was raised. You can either a)Quit the game, b)Wait for server merges/transfers, c) reroll on another server. I've got a couple people from my WoW guild who came to this one waiting out for server transfers. He's slowly leveling an alt.

Agree, also think they may have to nerf some content when casual players reach lvl cap:)

I'm sure they're aware of the server population problems. Mine is fine. Then again I got put on the most populated one.

Dont want to hear about it, I had near 2 hour long queues.

They made the game this way for a reason. They wanted to bridge the gap between stand alone and MMO by making a hybrid and that is why this game has next to NO RPing items, the only ones it has are tied to group based social points and not actual roleplaying socializing.

Making an item meant to be roleplayed in a reward for group questing would be like rewarding PvP items via selling items on the GTN. The upcoming legacy family tree is the same, its a slap in the face of RPGs...to either force players to have to have alts the same race to be able to tie them into a family tree smacks of a designer that doesnt know a thing about MMOs and worse yet, they may allow a family tree of different races thus slapping roleplayers in the face and speaks of someone that doesnt know a thing about RPGs...take your pick, its one or the other with that game feature...there cant be an inbetween with it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.