Well, <character>, it's been nice meeting you.

Walkiry

In a way, I kind of agree with the OP but I'm going to sound like a waffle here. :p

I do agree that a lot of decisions on backstory were premade without having any input and that is a little annoying. Well a little annoying for me, a lot annoying for the OP. I have one SI that is pureblood (assassin) because I wanted to play the class. I haven't been able to rationalize to myself how such a pureblood was a slave but whatever. I decided to play my Ratattaki SI (Healer Sorc) because the story makes more sense with that race.

I don't mind cliches, the fact of the SI spoilers in the OP didn't bother me. But I did think some of the same thoughts about the start of the BH story. Really? Who the heck are you? Why should I care? But I rationalized it in my own mind (accurate or not, I don't care) as that Braden felt he knew me because he followed my very successful career up till then. I didn't consider him a friend but I did grow to like Mako so it was for her sake alone that I got all bent out of shape over Braden.

I too wish I could have had more input in the set up of the stories, I really do. Yet, even with things being pre scripted for me, there's a lot more story and more input for how my character develops than there have ever been in previous MMOs I've played. At least here I have *some* input and I'm not just elf hunter #64366. It's not my ideal setup but it's different and enjoyable enough that I can deal.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! Welcome to another edition of "What Would The Lunatic In Me Do?" I'm your host, Walkiry.

Title of the thread may be a bit cryptic, but it sums up perfectly how I feel about "my" characters once I hit 50, finish the questlines, and get to The End™.

Only it's not supposed to be the end, right?

Let's back up a bit. To the very start:

Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and be the hero of your own Star Wars™ saga.

(Emphasis mine).

Now, despite appearances, this is not going to be about not having enough choices (which, as I've admitted before, would be night impossible to do, too many of us playing). Or about the abject stupidity some of these choices force on the characters. No, it's a lot more basic than that.

When I play this game, by the time I'm done, and often way before that, none of "my" characters feel mine.

It's pretty simple really. We run the quests and do the things that Bioware has prepared for us in-game, but everything about the story and the characters (including the one I'm playing) is so thoroughly laid out for me to follow that there's nothing left for me to add.

Nothing what-so-***********-ever.

It's not just the story (singular), but even worse is the backstory.

Take, for example, the Bounty Hunter.

You arrive in Hutta to meet Braden for the Great Hunt. That's the premise of the story, right? At this point, your character is a blank state and you can start-

Braden: "Hey there bestest buddy ever! Let's go have a Bromantic shower together!"

Uh...

I back away slowly and a few clicks and some cutscenes later he's dead, and call me a heartless bastard, but I can't find myself too disturbed by it. I've just met this guy.

Mako: "You heartless bastard! (Told ya) Braden always talked about you, and I always wanted to meet you, and..."

Me: "I barely..."

Mako: "And he set you up for the Great Hunt because he knew you so well!"

Me: "I don't actually..."

Mako: "And Braden this, Braden that, Braden Braden Braden on a pie, how can you not think about Braden all the time!!"

Me: "SHUT THE **** UP MAKO!"

Mako

And hey, you like Mandalorians? Bounty Hunters and Mandalorians all go together so well!

Me: "Sure, my Bounty Hunter..."

Here you go, meet the Mandalorians for the first time and learn all about them!

Me: "But I already..."

And if you stick with us, you get a chance to join the Mandalorians too! After a bunch of planets and more than half your levels, aren't we great? We're letting your Bounty Hunter get involved with Mandalorians! Something your very own personal saga Bounty Hunter has never done!

Me: "But, I wanted..."

What was that? YOU wanted? Awww, isn't that cute. You're so lucky we know better!

There is simply NOTHING for me to add there. There's the Bounty Hunter story, I can play through it, learn about how the Bounty Hunter came to be in the Great Hunt and have a few options to see how his story unfolds, and that's about it. Everything, from the character's background to his motivations, has already been boiled, chewed, and pre-digested for me by Bioware.

Feed meh! Because chewing is so much effort. The only thing that's missing here is forcing a name on him so that everyone stops referring to him as "Hunter".

****, I just gave them an idea, didn't I?

It gets worse with the Jedi Knight:

The Knight's ENTIRE BACKGROUND is a few quests worth of having a master (Master Orgus) who sends him on missions on his own before getting himself killed.

You think I'm joking, or exaggerating, right?

RIGHT?

Well, guess again!

Master Orgus becomes a glowing apparition to guide the Knight because he's just SO attached to him/her after a few days of non-training (and given half the chance, both the Knight and Orgus will say so, repeatedly).

I'm guessing it's actually because the booty of my female Knight. Now you know why they don't fix the big bum bug with the robes. If they do, no more Master Orgus, and the Galaxy dies a horrible death worthy of Khem Val.

*Nom*

Damn dirty old man.

Later on, you learn in a conversation with Kira that he taught the Knight everything he knows.

Well, it's either that or

Me: "SHUT THE **** UP KIRA!"

Kira

It's so bloody twisted it actually makes a sick kind of sense. All this Knight does is screw up and send the companions to do missions on their own. You know, like Master, like Padawan.

But don't worry, once you get in trouble (well, massive EPIC FAIL actually, but why split hairs?), the glowing apparition will come to the rescue.

Just shake that booty for the old man.

*Shakka* *Shakka*

If you feel dirty, go take a *********** shower, because it's all for the sake of the gosh darn Galaxy.

One can only imagine what kind of retard the Knight was in the academy, if a week of non-teaching by a dirty old man TAUGHT HIM EVERYTHING HE KNOWS!

Can you imagine this failure's childhood?

"Look ma! I drew this!"

"Ooooh, a starfish! How cute!"

"It's a SPEEDER! WAAAAAH!"

Fail on Legs. I'm surprised he didn't skewer himself with the lightsaber the first time he built it.

I'm also kind of glad the companions are the ones doing the crafting and the gathering. This idiot would probably blow up a planet while trying to make a single medkit.

And of course, there's my favourite one; at a prompt from Kira (I'm starting to see a pattern here, what about letting us kill companions again?) we learn this from the Knight:

"I can't imagine being anything other than this bland, forgettable Temple past Jedi."

Well, I completely believe you, but I bloody well can! If you would bloody LET ME!

I think I'll go for:

"SHUT THE **** UP KIRA!"

Kira

Better than the Consular writer I suppose, I bet he'd stop at:

"I can't imagine."

Zzzz.

So, can you? Can you imagine a background for a Jedi that's in any way better than a forgettable blur of Temple existence easily surpassed by a few holoconversations with a Jedi Master? Well too bad, because that's what the Jedi Knight is, and don't you forget it because you'll be reminded, constantly. TAKE IT AND LIKE IT!

Now, eat your broccoli.

But what about the Inquisitor?

*Wall of text explains you were a slave and arrived at Korriban for the trials*

Well, isn't it nice to get it all out of the way as soon as possible?

Hah! Gotcha, you thought I was just going to stop there, right? Well, not so fast; you see, there's a MAJOR TWIST (OMG!).

You see, "Luke, I am your Father" is so overdone.

"Luke, I am your sister!" Been done.

"Luke, the FORCE is your father!" Has been done too (or rather, Anakin's mom was done by the Force. Bow chikka wow wow, baby! I bet she had a hell of a hangover the next day, since "she can't explain what happened").

"Luke, YOU ARE AN ULTRAPOWERFUL SITH IN A LINEAGE OF ULTRAPOWERFUL SITHS AND I'M YOUR GRANDDADDY!"

Now we're talking! Nothing like one-upping the classics!

I suppose next sequel will be

"Luke, I AM THE UNIVERSE WHO CREATED THE FORCE AND I'M YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER!"

I'd hate to think what the sequel after THAT one will have. I'll have to involve Chuck Norris and Mr. T. And bacon.

So the Inquisitor was a slave all his life and the grandkid of an amazing Sith Lord Dude you just happened to open the temple to, all at the same *********** time, which is all orchestrated by your Master of course, and boy, you better like the amazing stuff they come up with!

Incidentally, 2 million boxes sold and the Inquisitor is one of the more popular classes. Just how big was Granddaddy Sith Ghost's harem anyway? And how did he manage to get lekku-less Twi'lek grandkids?

You know what the problem is? The problem is that "Being Revan" was pretty cool, and that playing Shepard makes the character great. You get to see how the Dark/Light sides play out, or the Paragon/Renegade in ME's case, but you're playing Revan's and Shepard's stories.

But that's never MY character. It's YOUR character, Bioware; and the games were enjoyable, including the character, but that's a single player game where I'm not invited to "create my own saga".

You've hammered so much detail into the player's characters and their stories and backstories that you have left sweet **** all for me to add to it. Even the Dark/Light side choices aren't that meaningful, because all they do is, like in KOTOR, let me see how the Light and Dark side stories of your characters unfold, and on top of that one has to RELENTLESSLY chase Light/Dark choices to be at the Light/Dark level necessary to use the Light/Dark side restricted items at the appropriate character level. But that's YOUR story, they do not define MY character. My character would be defined by a myriad of things you have already decided for me, and I'd have felt a lot more involved if you had at the very least stopped answering questions nobody asked in the first gosh darn place.

You could have spent some effort finding ways to get ME involved. Instead, you spent a lot of effort finding every possible way to hammer YOUR "story" into what was supposed to be MY character even when it was completely bloody irrelevant. Well, fine, but now that I'm done with your character you can have it back.

Dude, you're so *********** awesome, i quoted your whole rant, went to your rant page, bookmarked your rant page, and whether or not you like it, you have a loyal friend for life. lol. Oh yeah, five stars :)

There is simply NOTHING for me to add there. There's the Bounty Hunter story, I can play through it, learn about how the Bounty Hunter came to be in the Great Hunt and have a few options to see how his story unfolds, and that's about it. Everything, from the character's background to his motivations, has already been boiled, chewed, and pre-digested for me by Bioware.

This is completely, utterly wrong.

Which kind of destroys the entire point of this long-winded rant, doesn't it?

Oh God, you gave me a flashback to my Sage. It was my very first character on SWTOR and I leveled it straight to 25 before taking a break and making an alt.

It poked me in the eye how the story *literally* *tells* you that you *just* arrived to the planet to meet your master, your master is not there, you start rescuing padawans etc, you meet your master and she sends you off to do missions because time is pressing *and* *she* *cannot* *follow* *the* *training* *she* *had* *prepared* *for* *you*....

In literally one day (because we're never given an impression that time has elapsed) you find the holocrons, defeat the wannabe Sith-in-the-making, return to the temple and the master you came to be trained with is sick... so off you go to the next planet to learn the cure.

The gall of it is your character saying 'all that they learnt was from you, master' when all she did was toss a padawan to the wolves, get sick and need to be saved. That's all the training you received. 'Go kill ten rats and bring me their tails. Tadaa! You're good to be a Jedi now.'

But other than that I don't feel you can complaint the way you do. It's a book, or a movie, we don't invent background and motivations, we follow the script the director/writer decided.

If you RP (I do) the story has no bearing on my character. Sure, she's 'the youngest ever to be made a Master'. Er.. no.. I play her as just above a padawan. I don't want a uber know-all, uber powerful, galaxy-saving-before-breakfast character.

To me the story let me pick some of the lore, watch the interactions and even helped me decide how to shape my character (would she let a person die to save thousands? Yes, yes she would. Greater good wins out) with some of the quests.

Edited by CedricDur

Each time an npc refers to me as "hunter" I get a mental image of a purple elf romping through the forest.

Anyway, I realized a long time ago (a few months to be specific :p) that this game isn't much about role playing, unless you do it with other players. What Bioware wanted to do was essentially tell us a story. Tell us what our characters personalities are, what their back stories are, and where they are going to end up.

So there should be no surprise when I get a character to max level and suddenly I realize I'm playing with a fancy expensive doll, who drags around another fancy doll who I'm pretending are friends/ playing house/ fighting "bad guys".

Perhaps we expect too much out of the rpg in "mmorpg". Or maybe it's just always been a bit of a misnomer.

currently in my inquisitor it hasn't been so bad.

I'm dreading to play SW because me and a friend are meant to RP as brothers,

simply, we killed dad, I fled, got captured on some random planet as it was conquered by empire, go to korriban.

If I have a lineage in my story, it makes sense...

I don't like what they say about you in jedi knight and consular, from what I've read, though.

With my inquisitor, I have all the time before I was a slave I can map out.

With your jedi it appears you don't even have that option, which is sad. Glad it'll be one of the last classes I play.

I've played through the SW story and had no trouble fitting my character's backstory around what they dictated was the case; think the most I remember they ever try and do along those lines is the idea that you're from some noble and ancient Sith lineage, perhaps. And yeah, that means I can't play an Inquisitor who was raised the same way, or a Warrior who was a slave beforehand, but the game is going to have to constrain your choices to some degree; telling me these facts in basically the first conversation is an ok way to handle it.

In general, I'm ok with it if they want to set some facts about my character in the first few levels, when my backstory is still flexible and being determined, or if they introduce things that don't actually affect it, like, oh, someone turns out to be related to your character, which could happen in approximately a billion ways without changing anything (no idea if this ever actually happens to anyone, I just made it up as an example). Things that you can fold into your story without much work, basically. It's when you're at level 30 or some such and suddenly your character is volunteering information on their personal history that doesn't fit at all with what you'd decided that I have a problem with.

The Knight and the Inquisitor are a lot more hamfisted.

Not quite.

"Your a slave" They never tell you HOW they found your affinaty to the force?

You start the game allready with a lightning power, and weapon uses. You can make a backstory about how you escaped from slavery, shooting your imperial master full of lightning and striking him down with his own war blade. You then fled for weeks months or years, evading and slaughtering imperials before you decided to join them, to increase your dark power.

That took me as long to write as it took you to read... You can make anything up, your just restricted a bit...

Not quite.

"Your a slave" They never tell you HOW they found your affinaty to the force?

You start the game allready with a lightning power, and weapon uses. You can make a backstory about how you escaped from slavery, shooting your imperial master full of lightning and striking him down with his own war blade. You then fled for weeks months or years, evading and slaughtering imperials before you decided to join them, to increase your dark power.

That took me as long to write as it took you to read... You can make anything up, your just restricted a bit...

Well there is a companion conversation where the inquisitor gives a brief explanation about how she/he came to be on Korriban. You aren't very far off honestly (:

I like the OP's rants as well. Of course, they are ... well, rants. So they may be exaggerated for effect. :) But the kernel of truth in them is interesting.

Of course Bioware will have to "railroad" us somewhat. Anything else isn't really feasible in a computer game.

But the past of the characters for examples - they don't need to be so tied down. They would, consequently, not necessarily have a major role in the story, either, but that may be okay - you start with your character, which is or was whoever you want him to be. But he's put into a particular situation and his options from then on are limited. There isn't really a need for my SI to be a descendant of some powerful Sith, for example. A simple prophecy could be enough to tie my SI to the story.

The KOTOR and Mass Effect games had a nice tidbit - The 2nd game in each series allowed you to talk about the past and use your character to describe what happened in the previous game. Was Revan male or female, did the turn out Dark or Light, was Shepard male or female, did the humans save the Citadel leadership or not.

They could have put in a few dialog choices over the course of the game to do something similar, to make up our background. It would mostly be throw-away lines, not determining the outcome of the story, but it would help define our characters as your own.

You see, this is where a long-winded history of tex-based RPing and OC-making comes in handy.

My characters are completely seperate from the storyline, in my mind. In-game, they're placeholders so I might watch the story unfold. But, they have their own things to be doing.

My Inquisitor never met Khem Val, was never a slave, has no relation to ghost dad, and all around is completely seperate from the main plot.

Rather, she is an unrepented Sociopathic sith lord, who roams the galaxy with her friend the space-pirate lizardman, and all around just makes a mockery of the empire.

My other characters are much the same, completely seperate from the main plot and characters. And I'm damn proud of it.

My Knight was born on Onderon; she hated the cold and so spent a lot of time in the local temple's library, which is how she came to find out about and totally fangirl Revan (an attitude she holds to this day). She and got teased a lot about her height and scolded a lot about her penchant for punching things, which is why she's fairly soft-spoken and prefers humor (albiet often dry or morbid) to violence now. Her master there was a Kiffar named Shalivos who she thinks of as her "true" Master and who she was almost a daughter to; her relationship with Orgus was much more like Kira's relationship with her, a younger sibling admiring the elder. She has a hopeless, Code-violating crush on Satele Shan and thinks womp rats are the cutest thing she's ever seen, which Kira says is all the proof anyone will ever need that Miraluka are blind.

So, um, backstory. Entirely made up by myself. Not in any way contradicted by anything in the game. OP, I am really not grokking your complaint. :i_confused:

Well there is a companion conversation where the inquisitor gives a brief explanation about how she/he came to be on Korriban. You aren't very far off honestly (:

Yayay... Lol ;)

To be honest that sort of proves that the OP saying "The choices dont really change your story at all" is wrong. If you can say a set line about your back story, then that is your back story. However if you chose not to tell your companion anything, then you can still make up your own story...

Yayay... Lol ;)

To be honest that sort of proves that the OP saying "The choices dont really change your story at all" is wrong. If you can say a set line about your back story, then that is your back story. However if you chose not to tell your companion anything, then you can still make up your own story...

You can also avoid having your character mention anything about his former slavery, but that doesn't make him less of a slave in the story, does it?

And as I said in the rant you have an alternative:

"SHUT UP MAKO!"

Mako

Id be perfectly happy if bioware just let ME decide what MY backstory was and id go along with what they wanted me to do for the future.. Aslong as i can make my own backstory i dont care if they want to control my character....

Imperial Agent story...

Kaylio: Hey! so why did you join imperial inteligence?

I Saved a siths life and he asked intelligence to invite me they mainly wanted me for my street skills but more because of my good looks and able to persuad Men into doing things they didnt want to do) (Female character)

The Empire is my life!

I Live for the EMPIRE!

My mom and dad where in it

It was my life goal...

Wow... thanks for telling me the reasons I joined imperial inteligence bioware.... I DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK LET ME THINK OF MY STORYLINES ON MY OWN!

Edited by Moitteva
removed inappropriate language

You can also avoid having your character mention anything about his former slavery, but that doesn't make him less of a slave in the story, does it?

And as I said in the rant you have an alternative:

"SHUT UP MAKO!"

Mako

No thats a main part of the story. But if you dont say how you became sith, then your character doesnt have the back story bioware gave you. The inquisitor does, but not YOUR character if you see what i mean...

No thats a main part of the story. But if you dont say how you became sith, then your character doesnt have the back story bioware gave you. The inquisitor does, but not YOUR character if you see what i mean...

I do, but the thing is, the way it's presented what you have is a choice of whether to tell your companion or not, not so much whether that's your backstory or not. It's not like you're ever given alternatives, and the way everyone acts makes it clear that the stories are written with a certain background in mind.

I'm too early in the Inquisitor storyline, but in the JK one it was pretty clear that even if you didn't choose the "bland Temple past" when talking with Kira and told her to shut up, or admitted that the dirty old man told you everything you knew, the interactions with everyone else for the rest of the story, including Satele and the rest, pretty much assume that's who the character is.

This is a case of less is more. If instead of all this they had done the City of Heroes ID Bio, and not tried to hammer it in the story, it'd have been a lot better. If you think about it, there's really no need for your Inquisitor to be a slave, or for

the ghost in the temple to be your granddaddy, I mean, it's the Force, he could have done the cliched thing and said he sensed you were the one to put him to rest or something, really, anything that's on par with "I'm your father!" will do, and there's no need for it to be related to your character

, or for your Jedi Knight/Consular to gush about

having learned everything from their masters of five minutes

, there's plenty of room and ways for the character to express respect for veteran Masters inside the order if that's your thing.

They should just stop going the extra mile to pin unnecessary details on the character that's supposedly yours.

Edited by Walkiry
Typo

That was really excellent OP (and entertaining).

I do agree.

While I am having fun, not being invested in my character does not bode well for longterm play. I don't want to play "The Operative Extraordinaire" aka Cipher Nine, I want to play me dressed up as an Operative.

There's got to be some middle ground here. Perhaps by the time the first expansion comes out (which is badly needed already, btw, even for slow levelers like myself), Bioware will find a way to do their signature story thing whilst also remembering what an MMO really is.

While I am having fun, not being invested in my character does not bode well for longterm play. I don't want to play "The Operative Extraordinaire" aka Cipher Nine, I want to play me dressed up as an Operative.

So you basically want to be just an average, run of the mill intelligence operative, who's nothing special?

Cipher Nine is just your designation, much like Watcher Two, Fixer Thirty, etc. You're a cipher-level agent, number nine. It's not some mystic title.

Perhaps I just don't see the point of your argument. You want to be an operative, but you don't want to be a really GOOD operative? You want to be Field Agent #18391, rather than Double-Oh Seven?

So you basically want to be just an average, run of the mill intelligence operative, who's nothing special?

Yes.

That is the game I want to play, and why I loved Battlefront so much.

Is it too much to ask for more video games like this?

Cipher Nine is just your designation, much like Watcher Two, Fixer Thirty, etc. You're a cipher-level agent, number nine. It's not some mystic title.

Perhaps I just don't see the point of your argument. You want to be an operative, but you don't want to be a really GOOD operative? You want to be Field Agent #18391, rather than Double-Oh Seven?

I may want to be Double Oh Seven, but my Double Oh Seven has a different past than your Double Oh Seven. "James Bond" is just the name the MI:6 gave me. My real name may never be revealed "on screen" or "in game" (but I know it's Frank Summerfield), and whether I was an orphan or the son of a business man or something else will never be relevant on my quest to stop Doctor No, even though I may mention it to Miss Moneypenny in one of our brief office flirts between ops.

I may want to be Double Oh Seven, but my Double Oh Seven has a different past than your Double Oh Seven. "James Bond" is just the name the MI:6 gave me. My real name may never be revealed "on screen" or "in game" (but I know it's Frank Summerfield), and whether I was an orphan or the son of a business man or something else will never be relevant on my quest to stop Doctor No, even though I may mention it to Miss Moneypenny in one of our brief office flirts between ops.

What's stopping you from doing that right now? I guess I don't get what peoples' complaint is.

My agent is 39th level right now, and so far the game hasn't "forced" a single piece of background on me. I started out as an agent doing a mission on Hutta, and just went from there. It hasn't told me I grew up an orphan or was adopted by sith, or anything else. My background has been completely free for me to make up on my own, from what I've seen so far.

Same with all my other characters, really. The game throws a few minor details at you, to establish your place in the story, but it doesn't make up your entire background that I've seen.

I guess I'm just puzzled about the whole complaint. In every other MMO, your character is pretty much an interchangeable, replaceable "generic heroic figure" who runs around doing quests. This is the first MMO I've played that gives me a sense that my character really IS one of the "movers and shakers" of the game world, and people are complaining about it. It baffles me.

I've seen posts for other game forums saying "We don't feel heroic enough! The game should aknowledge us for being The Big Damn Heroes!" Then comes this game, and people are saying "We don't want to be the Big Damn Heroes! We want to be the faceless peons in the background who don't even have names in the credits!"

:confused:

Edited by LyriaFrost

If you think about it, there's really no need... for your Jedi Knight/Consular to gush about

having learned everything from their masters of five minutes

, there's plenty of room and ways for the character to express respect for veteran Masters inside the order if that's your thing.

They should just stop going the extra mile to pin unnecessary details on the character that's supposedly yours.

Yep. And while, as mentioned, you can go the route of 'ok, my character just said something weird and untrue, let's come up with a reason why that fits them', having to stop partway through playing to do that gets annoying if it happens too much.