High-End Laptop... Still low FPS?

KiaThas

I haven't seen a post on this in a while. And it may get moved to technical support.

But im not seeking a solution. Im asking if im the only one having the issue.

My Laptop is perfectly capable of running the game its an Alienware m14x, a mid-high range 'gaming' laptop, designed to run games like this highest quality without breaking a sweat, it surpasses the recommended specs which are usually set too high anyway.

For example.

Recommended Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better.

My Laptop: Intel ® Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30GHz

Recommended RAM for Window's 7: 2GB.

My Laptop: 6GB.

Recommended Graphics Card (nVidia): nVidia 7800 or better.

My Laptop (nVidia): nVidia GeForce GT 555M.

And lets face it this games graphic's aren't high-end top of the class.

My laptop can run games like Skyrim on Ultra with no frame-rate issues, If Skyrim isn't a good example, then please show me a game which will test my laptop's performance.

I'm just wanting to know if there is anyone else who is experiencing low FPS with a system which is perfectly capable, even on the fleet.

I'm asking because these issues were supposed to be fixed, memory leaks etc.

I have an Alienware laptop, I believe about the same specs, that runs this game on max.

At first it didn't, until I took mine apart and blew the vents out with compressed air, fixed it.

The laptop's less than a few months old.

I really cant get about 20 FPS with high setting's on.

Your laptop is a very similar spec to mine, however I have a 525m and you have the model one or two above. I have to run this game on low graphics without shadows to get decent fps (this worked while levelling). However once I hit end game and focused entirely on PVP the performance just hit the floor. Don't even get me started on Ilum. I have a feeling its due to this game being very poorly optimized, like you I can run Skyrim very smoothly. I know MMO's take more processing power etc to run but still, it doesn't quite add up.

Not to seem like a troll, but your laptop isn't really high-end.

It's actually kind of middle-of-the-road for "entertainment" laptops (which are basically the lower half of gaming-capable laptops).

You've got an i5 instead of an i7. Shouldn't actually matter much, but there you are. You've got 6GB of RAM which is nice, but 8 or 12 would give you more room for MMO gaming. Your 550m is decent, but the 560m (fairly popular for laptops) has almost twice the ability.

Even with all that, a laptop with an i7 and a 560m with 12GB of RAM should still only expect to see 15-30fps at the Fleet (when its got a decent crowd).

I suspect that your computer is functioning at just the level you should expect.

Comparing it to Skyrim is pointless. Single player RPGs are graphically intense with a low memory load. MMOs are CPU intense with high memory load. Skyrim simply isn't stressing the majority of your system.

Not to seem like a troll, but your laptop isn't really high-end.

It's actually kind of middle-of-the-road for "entertainment" laptops (which are basically the lower half of gaming-capable laptops).

You've got an i5 instead of an i7. Shouldn't actually matter much, but there you are. You've got 6GB of RAM which is nice, but 8 or 12 would give you more room for MMO gaming. Your 550m is decent, but the 560m (fairly popular for laptops) has almost twice the ability.

Even with all that, a laptop with an i7 and a 560m with 12GB of RAM should still only expect to see 15-30fps at the Fleet (when its got a decent crowd).

I suspect that your computer is functioning at just the level you should expect.

Comparing it to Skyrim is pointless. Single player RPGs are graphically intense with a low memory load. MMOs are CPU intense with high memory load. Skyrim simply isn't stressing the majority of your system.

Really?

These are the System Requirements listed on the SWTOR website.

'What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play. '

I don't know about you, but it seems the OP's laptop blows them out of the water to me. This game looks very average even on high, on low it's akin to City of Heroes circa 2004. What a very poorly thoughout reply you've offered there.

Hi there!

There are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:

You can also check out our General FAQs for information about minimum system specifications.

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread. Please use one of the topics linked above for further questions and discussion of hardware specifications. Thank you!

Edited by Paralassa