Power Surge lvl 50 Merc ability

Splaktar

I did 8 man EV last night and had some issues with this skill. Many times it would work as expected. But many other times, it would somehow cause all of my abilities to be activatable but using them did nothing. I would get stuck in this state where I could pound on HSM, Unload, Tracer, etc and none of them would fire off an attack.

I was generally using Power Surge with Tracer Missile. Is this a known issue?

Is there something in EV that causes this?

Normally when an ability was interrupted and blocked from use for some period of time, it is shown as greyed out on the hotbar. My abilities were not greyed out and pressing them caused an animation of the hotbar, but my character did not perform the attack.

What is the best use of Power Surge?

I did 8 man EV last night and had some issues with this skill. Many times it would work as expected. But many other times, it would somehow cause all of my abilities to be activatable but using them did nothing. I would get stuck in this state where I could pound on HSM, Unload, Tracer, etc and none of them would fire off an attack.

I was generally using Power Surge with Tracer Missile. Is this a known issue?

Is there something in EV that causes this?

Normally when an ability was interrupted and blocked from use for some period of time, it is shown as greyed out on the hotbar. My abilities were not greyed out and pressing them caused an animation of the hotbar, but my character did not perform the attack.

What is the best use of Power Surge?

#1 is concusion missle when you see a pat coming in,

#2 for me would be Fusion missle to burst when i have the spare heat.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't noticed this problem in PvP since the past few patches. Button hanging USED to occur everywhere, and it did seem linked to instants, but the latest rung of patches focusing on button response and GCD control seem to have fixed them.

I'm not sure of a good use for it in a PvE setting--DPS wise. I use it for emergency heals with my bodyguard. In PvP it gets indispensable. Instant Concussion, Tracer Missile, Rapid Scan, Power Shot. Whatever your flavor of burst needs to be. It's also very useful for maintaining mobility. If I'm chasing someone for a kill as an Arsenal an Explosive Dart->Instant Tracer + HSM/Rail is better than nothing.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I haven't seen a lot of other threads on the Power Surge ability. I am also a level 50 Bounty Hunter, I have NEVER gotten Power Surge to work properly. From what I know, the ability should automatically override the cooldown on the next ability I use. However, when I use Power Surge, and then try to use an ability that is in mid-cooldown - ANY ability - nothing happens. The abilities still resume their cooldowns as if nothing happened.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I not understand what Power Surge does? Thanks for the help.

Not cooldown:

Your next ability with an activation time will activate instantly.

So as noted above Concussion Missile usually has a 2 second (less with alacrity) ACTIVATION or CAST TIME.

Power Surge will allow you to cast it instantly. As I healer I use this with Rapid Scan to get off a quick heal, though IMO the thing is still buggy. Sometimes it goes on CD and my RS still takes the normal cast <shrug>

It does not reset the cooldown on an ability.

Not cooldown:

So as noted above Concussion Missile usually has a 2 second (less with alacrity) ACTIVATION or CAST TIME.

Power Surge will allow you to cast it instantly. As I healer I use this with Rapid Scan to get off a quick heal, though IMO the thing is still buggy. Sometimes it goes on CD and my RS still takes the normal cast <shrug>

It does not reset the cooldown on an ability.

Wow, I feel like a complete idiot. Thanks for resisting any urges to flame me for a noob question. :p I can definitely see this coming in handy for quick heals as you mentioned... when it works. Thanks.

It bugs out when you are standing still sometimes. I use it in pvp to get an instant heal, however I have to be moving otherwise it tries to cast the heal with 2 second cast time or whatever -.-.

I'm usually moving anyway when I use it, to run away and heal, however if I'm rooted then it just doesn't work.

Edited by Sinsavz