The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advice for leveling build while PVPing & Tanking

Klikity

So I'm now only lvl 21, and I enjoy being able to spend most my time PvPing, and also tanking in FP's. However, tanking is just a bonus right now, and I'm not worried about being able to spec properly for it, since I tend to be over-leveled when I start doing a FP anyways.

Here's what I'm looking at for my points up until lvl 43:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGrzMbRgzZ0c.1

Some questions I have include:

Is Oil Slick worth it for PvP?

Is it a mistake to skip Ablative Upgrades? Seems like shield absorption isn't as important for PvP, and the small 10 second heal wouldn't suffice to keep me from being bursted down. Am I right in thinking this talent is more for PvE?

Supercharged Ion Gas: The extra 3seconds on the DoT is nice, but the damage of this ability is negligible. Still, is it a mistake to not get it?

-------------------

So right now I'm trying to consider two things: 1.)Have I made any mistakes in my current build, and 2.)Where do I put my remaining points?

And I assume everything will change come lvl 50, and I'll have to play around with other PvP builds to see what I enjoy most, or go for a pure tanking build if I decide to go that route instead.

Thanks!

Is Oil Slick worth it for PvP?

Nope.

Is it a mistake to skip Ablative Upgrades? Seems like shield absorption isn't as important for PvP, and the small 10 second heal wouldn't suffice to keep me from being bursted down. Am I right in thinking this talent is more for PvE?

The 6% absorption are quite nice both for pve and pvp, the kolto overload part is just as useless as kolto overload is. I would spec it for a pve tank spec, but for a pve/pvp mix there are way better talents available.

Supercharged Ion Gas: The extra 3seconds on the DoT is nice, but the damage of this ability is negligible. Still, is it a mistake to not get it?

Dunno, I never tried shieldtech without it. It's not much but every little bit more damage helps as a tank I think. Also it's just 1 point.

Overall I'd stop at 21 points in shieldtech and start going into Pyrotech by then if you want a nice pvp/pve hybrid spec. Heatblast is one of the worst abilities in the game. 16% armor sure is sweet for pve but pretty much useless against most classes in pvp.

Overall I'd stop at 21 points in shieldtech and start going into Pyrotech by then if you want a nice pvp/pve hybrid spec. Heatblast is one of the worst abilities in the game. 16% armor sure is sweet for pve but pretty much useless against most classes in pvp.

Oh wow, now I have to rethink everything! So get 21 pts in Shield, than respec (to drop Ion/Neural Overload), and start working up the Pyro tree with CG? Hmmm... gonna have to mess around with the talent builder to see what that would look like...

Oh wow, now I have to rethink everything! So get 21 pts in Shield, than respec (to drop Ion/Neural Overload), and start working up the Pyro tree with CG? Hmmm... gonna have to mess around with the talent builder to see what that would look like...

With the 21/2/18 hybrid you still use Ion Gas Cylinder, you get the burning effect for the Railshot resets from Incendiary Missile.

That's the spec I'd aim for: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0RboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

With the 21/2/18 hybrid you still use Ion Gas Cylinder, you get the burning effect for the Railshot resets from Incendiary Missile.

That's the spec I'd aim for: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0RboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Hmmm, I like the gains I'd get from the Pyro tree for PvP... Although it hurts to literally waste 3 points in Superheated Gas - most "filler" talents provide at least some benefit, but that would provide absolutely no benefit without using Combustible Gas Cylinder.

I kind of like the idea of switching over to CGC to maximize the gains from Pyro... What would you think of this build, using CGC:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMhrkMboZ0MZfhMbdh.1

I'm still using fillers from Rebraced and Ablative, but meh.

Although the risk I'm running here is absolutely killing my ability to actually tank anything in PvE... something I don't want to lose entirely...

And hey, thanks for all the advice!

Edited by Klikity

Hmmm, I like the gains I'd get from the Pyro tree for PvP... Although it hurts to literally waste 3 points in Superheated Gas - most "filler" talents provide at least some benefit, but that would provide absolutely no benefit without using Combustible Gas Cylinder.

I kind of like the idea of switching over to CGC to maximize the gains from Pyro... What would you think of this build, using CGC:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMhrkMboZ0MZfhMbdh.1

I'm still using fillers from Rebraced and Ablative, but meh.

Although the risk I'm running here is absolutely killing my ability to actually tank anything in PvE... something I don't want to lose entirely...

And hey, thanks for all the advice!

Using CGC makes you extremely squishy in pvp because you lack a lot of armor, and also you cannot shield without Ion Gas (also you can't guard). With my build you have 3 talent points that do nothing (Superheaded gas), with your build you have 5 talent points that do nothing (Ablative Upgrades, Shield vents and Flame Shield - again you can't shield without Ion Gas).

You have a little bit more damage with CGC but lose A LOT of survivability. Both CGC and Ion Gas proc a slow when specced so thats no problem. If you use CGC you lack venting heat when shielding which is a sweet talent. You lose reseting the rocket punch (one of your hardest hitting attack) cooldown which in turn can reset the railshot cooldown when you use CGC.

Overall, CGC is only worth it for a full pyrotech spec. For any other spec (besides AP obviously) Ion gas is the way to go. Even when I'm in my 4/6/31 full pyro DPS spec I usually use Ion Gas in PVP because guard is awesome and I go down FAST when using CGC.

I've played a powertech to 50 and a vanguard to mid 40's.

Here's the build I used most of the time:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGrdRrogzZMcb.1

I go for Shield Rating>Shield Absorbtion>Defense Rating, and stack as many damage reduction talents as I can. I personally find ablative upgrades and ion screen more valuable than Jet speed. I love the cooldown on kolto overload becaues it makes the cooldown the same as your energy shield. I like to use these both at the same time when I'm taking heavy damage as sort of an 'oh ****' button like guardians/juggs have.

I also stack all the tanking (+END) gear and use biochem. Despite the heavy tanking build, I've never even come close to losing a fair 1v1 fight with this build. I've never done the math on anything, this is just what has worked best for me in a heavy tanking/pvp combo and I love it.

9+ commendations a warzone are pretty easy if you do effective AOE and guarding.

-------------------------

Even though jet charge is my favorite ability, I personally disagree with 21 point shield tech builds. In my experience, it's better to go all the way heat blast, or focus on another tree instead. I dont feel like you get enough with oil slick and the intermediary abilities to sotp at 21, and there is too much to gain with that extra 10% shield chance and heat blast.

-------------

Here is my second favorite build (which you might like best):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMMZMsrrobfkds.1

It's basicaly 31 in advanced prototype that uses Ion cylinder instead of High energy cylinder. You get a huge boost to damage while still being able to guard and do some tanking. The downside here is it's harder to manage heat without prototype cylinder ventilation. I find the extra survivability and ability to guard to be worth the trade off.

I've played a powertech to 50 and a vanguard to mid 40's.

Here's the build I used most of the time:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGrdRrogzZMcb.1

Sweet, thanks for posting that! I am also stacking +END gear, so your choices make sense. Good to know that a pure ST build is still plenty viable in PvP, and I will have to rethink my stance on Ablative Upgrade, as well as Jet Speed versus pure damage reduction.

Really good to know that the full spec is viable -- as I level I think I'd prefer to just keep whittling away at one tree rather than try to mix it up. I enjoy the concept of being a damage mitigator in PvP first (w/Guard and taunts), and an AoEer second.

Although if I don't do it as I level, I should definitely mix it up and play with different builds once I lvl cap.