Need a pro Mara/Sent's opinion on this

muradi

I posted this in another thread, but didn't get any good responses.

Really looking for a pro pro PRO sent/mara that has played Rage/Focus and Annihilation/Watchman. Seriously, if u haven't pro'd both specs don't need to comment.

Here it goes, Rage/Focus Jugg/Guard vs Anni/Watchman Sent:

DPS wise:

I gotta ask a pro marauder that has PRO'D both rage and annihilation.

How would you compare your Annihilation to Rage if you smashes hit a lot harder (I think it goes (x + 30%) x 200% x crit modifier - so that 30% adds up huge with the modifiers basically) AND u had another 20% armor pen (spec right, 1 saber throw + sundering strike ur already at 16% armor pen)

Defense wise

Enure vs Undying rage (xcpt for 1v1, Undying rage wins all the time)

4 sec stealth vs Intercede (guardian leap doesn't do anything 1v1, imo stealth wins here)

2 sec dmg immunity on blade storm for Jugg (ok whatev)

Group Utility wise

Marauder group buffs vs Taunt, Aoe Taunt, Guard, Force Push and aoe snare. (Guard/Jugg wins here big time imo)

Edited by muradi

Really looking for a pro pro PRO sent/mara that has played Rage/Focus and Annihilation/Watchman. Seriously, if u haven't pro'd both specs don't need to comment.

DPS wise:

How would you compare your Annihilation to Rage if you smashes hit a lot harder (I think it goes (x + 30%) x 200% x crit modifier - so that 30% adds up huge with the modifiers basically) AND u had another 20% armor pen (spec right, 1 saber throw + sundering strike ur already at 16% armor pen)

Defense wise

4 sec stealth vs Intercede (guardian leap doesn't do anything 1v1, imo stealth wins here)

Group Utility wise

Marauder group buffs vs Taunt, Aoe Taunt, Guard, Force Push and aoe snare. (Guard/Jugg wins here big time imo)

How does the Jugg win in utility? Most of those are only useful if your a tank. DPS Spec Jugg vs Mara

Mara >>>>> Jugg utility wise. As for the rest of the post, I am not sure i understand what you are asking. If your asking if Rage Jugg vs Anni Mara, Anni mara is better.

Edited by ouTJumped

DPS wise:

Defense wise

Group Utility wise

Damage wise,

idk where that 200% you are talking about it coming from, but Jug Rage vs Mara Rage, Jug wins by 30% boost to smash, smash is up every 9sec, so this is not a 30% boost to dps, just the one skill. For PvP, Rage has some utility, but the huge numbers are largely padding. Annihilation, you'll be on one person, doing less damage over the entire warzone, but effectively killing people.

Defense wise,

Mara:

Medium Armor

Low Defense

Cloak of pain +20% to all damage redux up 50% of the time, longer if specced

Undying Rage = Immortality

Obfuscate -90% enemy accuracy

combat break w/ damage immunity

Jug:

Heavy Armor (note: many attacks ignore armor)

can spec for moderate defense (note: most attacks ignore defense)

shield (note: most attacks ignore shields)

can spec for hefty damage redux w/ very long CD

short term +hp

can leap to friendly

can push (good for huttball, useless on bosses)

Utility wise,

Jug: Can spec to tank. Can spec to damage. slight CC advantage over mara when tank spec. Jug can't guard in DPS stance. Taunts are good for PvP, but should be used by tank in PvE.

Mara: Obfuscate helps everyone the target attacks. Buffs! Mara is the buff guy. PvP, Mara buffs can mean a LOT (speed boost in huttball, damage/healing boost in civil war, spamming aoe vicious slash in voidstar). PvE, Maras don't have taunt to take aggro, we have damage to take aggro. We are also the go to interrupter.

TL;DR Jug for big numbers and lots of medals. Mara for group utility and lots of kills.

Not a PRO MARAUDER PRO ANNIHILATION PRO RAGE PRO PLAYER PRO here, but by now I'd hope I know what I'm talking about.

Annihilation is better for single target DPS, and has a lot of utility that are arguably better than Rage or Carnage. Carnage is weak, and you didn't ask for it, so I won't mention it again, however.

Annihilation:

- Heals on crit bleeds, PLUS additional heals on crit bleeds and 100% crit chance with Berserk

- Rather spammable nuke (Annihilate) without need for setup

- Can double Rupture

- CDR on Force Charge and can be used as a secondary interrupt with Close Quarters (suggest only 1 point though)

- Predation goes faster

- Easy Fury generation

- Most of your damage can be put on someone in just a few GCDs, so you can escape once your DoTs are up

- Very good bonus to Force Camouflage, essentially making it another Undying Rage.

Rage:

- Spammable Slow

- Additional Gap Closer (though 10m isn't massive, it's still something)

- Lots of additional Crit Damage for Scream and Smash.

- Smash gives huge burst damage

- CDR on your force moves

- Very good in massive slug fests due to your nuke also being AoE

- 45s Undying Rage cooldown!!

- Berserk in this tree makes Vicious Slash cost 0, but can still refund 1 Rage if you have the perk for it. This makes it very very spammable. It also becomes a small AoE.

There's another thing about Rage I won't mention since I don't want it fixed :D

Both trees got hurt quite a bit by the Surge nerfs, though... so....

Honestly, I think they're both good. I'm not sure about the comparison between Jugg and Mara in their Rage specs, but I would argue that each spec has it's uses. Rage is probably the best for Void Star PvP, since that's usually a slug fest, and Annihilation is better for Hutt Ball and Alderaan due to Predation/Camo for the former, and DoTs screwing over capping for the latter.

Edited by Spiderbubble

There's another thing about Rage I won't mention since I don't want it fixed :D

You talking about that talent that's supposed to give you 10 fury at the end of Predation but it actually gives you the full 30 half the time because it's bugged?

You talking about that talent that's supposed to give you 10 fury at the end of Predation but it actually gives you the full 30 half the time because it's bugged?

It's 10 fury returned per person predation hits, thought the tooltip doesn't show it. It's not 'half the time because it's bugged', it's anytime your predation also hits 2 other party members.

edit: and for the OP, you play a sentinel, so do some of your own legwork man. Play both specs, learn the rotations, look up the formulas and do some math. As for utility, ranking 'x' above 'y' ability is purely a matter of personal opinion, it's all about what you value more.

Edited by AGoldCrayon