Australia says thankyou :)

banehammer

I live in Australia (as you may have guessed) and I've been following SWTOR's development for around 5 years. I participated in the early access phase and have been loving the game ever since. Reading this morning -

"Players in these countries who currently have or have had an active Star Wars: The Old Republic account prior to February 28, 2012 will have the opportunity to request a free character transfer for a limited time to an Asia Pacific server after the launch on March 1, 2012. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details."

I just wanted to say thankyou BioWare for not being greedy and offering us, who have supported the game from its inception, the opportunity to keep playing the characters we have spent time levelling on a local server without the financial penalty of paying for a server transfer.

Simple geatures like this will keep us loyal for a long time to come :)

(Plus the awesomesauce of the game itself:D )

I'm in Singapore. Trust me, we're happy with this as well.

I hope they have the free server transfers for other folks in the Asia-Pac/Oceanic region, though.

Australian, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore players are definitely set, no worries for us. But there's lots of Malaysian players, Filipinos, Indonesians, and so on. I hope they qualify as well.

I also hope it's a character transfer, rather than porting my whole roster to a different server. I'd certainly like to leave a couple of alts on my existing US server, to keep ties with my US friends. I imagine many folks feel the same.

But I'll take whatever Bioware gives me! They've already done a great Valentine's Day present for our region. :D

Edited by Acyl

Happy for you guys getting your own oceanic/pacific servers. In addition free transfers to them as well. If it's one thing Bioware finally did right it's this.

$1 million dollar question... will those servers actually be located in Asia for latency purposes?

Wow this is really good news to read.. I was getting worried that I would have to start from scratch if I were to play on a more localized server. Bring on march 1 aussie aussie aussie ! Edited by Dlema

Not sure who qualifies for the transfer, but I can guess being in South Korea leaves me out. So for me it's actually twice as bad. I play on an unofficial oceanic server already, and when these open up everyone is going to get to transfer off except me and those like me in the non-listed Asian countries. So we will be left on a ghost town. Lame.

The Oceanic servers should be open to transfer to anyone. It's not like North Americans would transfer there for the slower ping and opposite prime times. If I get shafted and left on a ghost town I'm going to be pissed.

Im kinda hoping that just because the game is being rolled out for HK, SG, Aus and NZ, the other Asia/Oceania region countries dont get left out in the character migration and region specific server access.

Me and a whole bunch of Filipinos on The Swiftsure server will appreciate the new development if there is a chance for us to have the character transfer and server access even though the game still hasnt been officially released here in PH.

I think its awesome they are getting their own servers for Aussies and such. And all of them transferring to then is cool too. Us Yanks gave then hell preluanch about them being a red zone now that they have built up the pops on some servers and leaving its like they get to say.

Ha got ya. Have fun on your low pop server. Thumbs up Aussies.:D

Edited by shadowrouge

All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details."

How do they qualify players? I am waiting for Oceanic as well.....

Refer the FAQ : http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400115.

However, I'm seconding those asking for fairness to players from other countries as well to have the limited-offer free server transfer capability.

I'm a Malaysian. Previously I was playing in Zaalbar server while I was in US. After I moved back to Malaysia, it has been hard to fine people playing together due to the timezone gap. Thus I played in servers that have a lot of people in timezone near me (I usually see a lot of Aus and S'pore players on Nadd Sarc). It will be sad to see my friends transfer to new server, but people like me who are stuck because we specified a different country during registration, aren't eligible for the transfer program.

So what I'm hoping is for BioWare/EA to lift the country-specific thing and instead just give everyone who wish to play in APAC servers a one-time free server transfer opportunity. If they move, they move, if not they stay. A very simple and fair solution rather than being selective and unfair to a few, who are just unlucky because of this news.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure who qualifies for the transfer, but I can guess being in South Korea leaves me out. So for me it's actually twice as bad. I play on an unofficial oceanic server already, and when these open up everyone is going to get to transfer off except me and those like me in the non-listed Asian countries. So we will be left on a ghost town. Lame.

The Oceanic servers should be open to transfer to anyone. It's not like North Americans would transfer there for the slower ping and opposite prime times. If I get shafted and left on a ghost town I'm going to be pissed.

Now that the "Asia Pacific" servers are out, and the emails for those eligible for transfers have been sent out(from NZ, I got one) Australians and Kiwis will prolly be transferring in April en masse. It might certainly make a dent in the server population of where the Aussies and Kiwis where. But since the servers for Asia Pacific are causing problems for most Asians due to internet infrastructure, a lot of Asians will not leave or not use their transfer passes. I have 2 brothers in Taiwan and Philippines respectively and the new servers are giving them hell. I may be getting 70ms from the new apac servers, but I won't let them go through the lag hell they have just to be able to play with them, so we're just using the pass to transfer to a West Coast server, currently in an east coast one. Atleast for our alts..Our mains will stay on the East Coast as we already have a great guild there.

So, Aarka, if you have been hearing news in general about the majority of the populace moving, let us know, so majority of non listed Asians will know where to go for their West Coast servers and keep these servers from becoming a ghost town. Bioware really needs to address this or atleast we need to hear something from them..anything!

I was actually going to send an email to customer service to see if I could get my character transferred to Aussie servers when they were up. Then the next day they posted on the website that they were going to do it anyway ha ha read my mind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.