Power vs Crit for Pyrotech

WarGodRwN

Hey, im a pyrotech specced Merc at Level 32 and was wondering, when im looking at gear/mods should i be looking at crit rating or power? I'd imagine it would be Crit Rating, especially since a lot of key skills get the 30% crit multiplier, but i've read in some places that power is better. What are your thoughts/experiences?

In my experience, Power is what you want to go for more than critical. The boost to your damage output seems to outpace crit. You luse your basic attack alot more as a pyrotech and the damage boost to all your damaging abilities is pretty good. A few pieces of Crit/Surge isn't a bad idea but i wouldn't go overboard.

mind you i am arsenal... but the mechanics are always the same

with the new surge nerf crit is a bit less usefull

crit is on diminishing returns, which means the more crit you have the less crit points do to improve your crit.

I would say 30-35% crit for arsenal because we vent heat when we crit... without that factor probably 25% to 30% crit is a good range for pyro (without outside buffs)

power on the other hand does not appear to have diminishing returns so the more the merrier.

mind you i am arsenal... but the mechanics are always the same

with the new surge nerf crit is a bit less usefull

crit is on diminishing returns, which means the more crit you have the less crit points do to improve your crit.

I would say 30-35% crit for arsenal because we vent heat when we crit... without that factor probably 25% to 30% crit is a good range for pyro (without outside buffs)

power on the other hand does not appear to have diminishing returns so the more the merrier.

You also have to take into account the main goal of the player. If you are raiding, and always have an agent, then you can give up some crit thanks to their 5% buff. If you are pvping, you can't rely on that buff so adding in some more crit is nice.

You also have to take into account the main goal of the player. If you are raiding, and always have an agent, then you can give up some crit thanks to their 5% buff. If you are pvping, you can't rely on that buff so adding in some more crit is nice.

there is no diminishing returns on buffs, they stack after the fact so in the end 5% more crit is 5% more crit and i dont think than anyone argues that crit is good as it is a garunteed 50 to 80% damage for the crit hit (depending on surge)

my point is that with NO diminishing returns crit > power ... at some point due to crit diminishing returns power > crit

because with no diminishing returns crit>power then that extra 5% is just bonus super duperness

and for arsenals crit also = venting heat so even more so crit > power until diminishing returns come in.

its a total balancing act.

power is additive stat that adds to your damage. crit is a multiplier that multiplies your damage. so without power you crits arent gonna do much damage, and without crits, your power is just gonna feel weak.

now arsenal mercs need that high crit chance because of our ability to vent 8 heat every time we crit every 3 seconds. for pyrotech it would be for automated defense if you have it, to reduce your kolto overload and thermal override sensors. if you talented yourself for that, then you'll most likly wanna get 30-35% crit as well so that you can use those abilities constantly.

its a total balancing act.

power is additive stat that adds to your damage. crit is a multiplier that multiplies your damage. so without power you crits arent gonna do much damage, and without crits, your power is just gonna feel weak.

now arsenal mercs need that high crit chance because of our ability to vent 8 heat every time we crit every 3 seconds. for pyrotech it would be for automated defense if you have it, to reduce your kolto overload and thermal override sensors. if you talented yourself for that, then you'll most likly wanna get 30-35% crit as well so that you can use those abilities constantly.

everything i have been told/read says power is added AFTER not before crit... surge is what determines how big the crit is.

if you mouse over bonus damage it says that different attacks have different multiipliers for power, but that is not crit, that is something else and we have no numbers to validate...

if the multiplier (average over TM,HS,RS) is >2 then power > crit always even with heat venting, but if it is <2 then crit rules until diminishing returns comes in...

fyi i believe the second is true. but.... *see sig*

• 2 weeks later...
ok well first of all its not even possible to get your ranged crit to 30-35% as pyro after putting all of my crit/surge mods in every piece of my gear i was only able to get to 28% tops unbuffed i currently sit at 544 power and 107 crit with a suge multiplier of 77.8% my crit rating is 19% with the set bonus to railshot giving me 15% and the fact your tech critical hit is about 6-7% more than your white attack crit power is the way to go my non crit railshots can even hit 2.5k and critical hit railshots i have gotten up to 5.6k after the surge nerf my numbers in every warzone have only gone up since the addition of power/surge mods over my crit/surge sometimes you dont see the flashy crits over and over but you have to think every attack is benefitting from your power so you just flat out do more damage this is just my view on it and i thought playing at 19% crit would be awful but its really not i have a 34% crit chance on my railshot and 27% chance to crit on ally my tech skills just wish they came out with crit/power enhancements can't get rid of surge if i tried. This is all for pvp mind you so take it with a grain of salt but from my experience power/surge > crit/surge enhancements ok im done sorry for the long winded post

I just think its a waste especially since the surge nerf knocked me down over 14% to stack crit if you want to get to 25-30% as pyro you literally have to take out almost all of your power/surge enhancements and replace them with crit/surge and to me it doesn't seem worth it

ok well first of all its not even possible to get your ranged crit to 30-35% as pyro after putting all of my crit/surge mods in every piece of my gear i was only able to get to 28% tops unbuffed i currently sit at 544 power and 107 crit with a suge multiplier of 77.8% my crit rating is 19% with the set bonus to railshot giving me 15% and the fact your tech critical hit is about 6-7% more than your white attack crit power is the way to go my non crit railshots can even hit 2.5k and critical hit railshots i have gotten up to 5.6k after the surge nerf my numbers in every warzone have only gone up since the addition of power/surge mods over my crit/surge sometimes you dont see the flashy crits over and over but you have to think every attack is benefitting from your power so you just flat out do more damage this is just my view on it and i thought playing at 19% crit would be awful but its really not i have a 34% crit chance on my railshot and 27% chance to crit on ally my tech skills just wish they came out with crit/power enhancements can't get rid of surge if i tried. This is all for pvp mind you so take it with a grain of salt but from my experience power/surge > crit/surge enhancements ok im done sorry for the long winded post

I don't know what mods you are using but im over 32% and i still have a few pieces to change, and that's without adrenals and relics or stims and only my health buff which does not effect crit%

I don't know what mods you are using but im over 32% and i still have a few pieces to change, and that's without adrenals and relics or stims and only my health buff which does not effect crit%

i use my battlemaster mods and all power/surge enhancements which is why my crit is 19% and when i didnt i used the lvl 56 enhancements 24 crit 48 surge in every piece of gear and hit 27.5% ranged crit so yeah