The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech defensive cooldowns

SinisterSniper

I never said PTs were unhealable in PVE or PVP. In PvP they clearly are at a disadvantage because shielding doesn't affect most attacks.

Everything you've said sounds opposite to me.

Most of our defenses are passive which is great in PvE however alot of those defenses are weak in PvP.

Compared to a say a Jugg tank who has more of the active mitigation which is actually more useful in PvP (not bad in PvE either).

I would be fine losing a bit of our passive for more active. Oilslick needs to be fixed and more active tanking would make us much better in pvp.

Finally Oil Slick is an awful ability. It's all RNG, it only works for things in a very small range, mobs can walk out of the effect, it only "mitigates" by a small amount, it's only good in the sense of its aoe aspect, but as stated before there is not a single true PvE fight that you would use it on. It's also bad for personal use, because the dodge effect is counter productive for all of PTs procs which require you to shield attacks. If the raid boss keeps missing you that means you can't vent heat or refresh rocket punches.

I agree with this part, especially the bit I highlighted. Completely counter intuitive ability for a soak tank. Our class relies on being hit steadily and consistently for slightly smaller amounts, why would I then want to reduce the chance to be hit?

One note: rockets from droid aren't tech, so a sniper+PT there is basically a free CD for the whole time. I know this, as my Jugg tank pops Saberward there which puts me up to about 82% defense, and barely loses any health.

Other than that, any PT jealous of a Jugg has not played a Jugg seriously. I've got both at 50, Jugg needing only rakata offhand to be finished, PT still gearing up, and I never really want anything of the juggs. Energy shield is almost as good as Invincibile, anyways, when you factor in the increased duration and higher base mitigation of PT.

Hi All,

I've got to agree with the above... I'm a 50 Jugg... I've been toying with the idea of levelling up a PT tank... got me a lvl22 so far.

On the Jugg side of things... yep their cooldowns are pretty awesome... and grinding to lvl50 with him has been a cruise to be honest.. found their grind-ability pretty amazing.

BUT - having said that - I'm feeling "meh" about it all now that I'm up at 50 - yes the survivability is pretty cool.. clever use of cooldowns etc makes you very impressive from that point of view... but when it comes to agro in flashpoints - I've got to admit its not easy. That doesn't mean it can't be done - I've tanked a few things and managed ok... but coming from a background of other MMO's (and having had AOE threat problems there...wow-warrior etc.) - I have a pet-hate of losing agro... even when its justifiable by the game mechanics... my feeling is that I SHOULD have agro lol... even if the mobs are weak and will be nukled down in no time

So....my question to you guys. has anyone got a level 50 Jugg AND a level 50 PT? would anyone mind humoring me with a comparison please?

I'm not feeling my Jugg now that I'm at the top... but I don't want to level another char to 50 only to find there was no point lol....

Ideally what i think I'm looking for is a tank with some decent damage... the Jugg immortal damage is pretty poor... and the loss of AOE threat bugs me. I know that you can't necessarilly keep every single mob on you all the time (I am realistiic about that)... some may peel away - but any kind of AOE damage at the moment means I'm chasing things around like a headless chicken. My AOE taunt keeps things for 6 seconds and then they run off again lol.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated :)

TY

Shield is OK, but Kolto Overload is so bad it's not even worth the global cooldown. 300 health per second, are you kidding me?

Agreed that Kolto overload is laughably weak. It doesn't cost a GCD though, so its still worth using.

Some of you ppls are so clueless.. spend some time endgame tanking PT please before you try to assess PT's endgame tanking.

but as long as you have threat you can basically afk. Oh wait, I guess you can flame burst once every 15 seconds to reduce damage by 4%. Thats about it, our cds dont do too much.

One of the most ignorant things I've read yet about this class.

PT vs Jugg

ST Tank = Jugg

AOE Tank = PT

Defense Tank = Jug

Absorb Tank = PT

Reactive Tank = Jugg

Proactive Tank = PT

This is not rocket science ppl. This is irrelevant to PVE/PVP, this is simply how they were designed to work. No tank is the be all end all and shouldn't be. Quite trying to misinform ppl that one is just because the tank you use works best for what you like to do (see above). Both can do everything

I like AOE engagements more than ST engagements, I like taking steady dps instead of burst, and I like proactively tanking instead of reactively tanking so its obvious I prefer PT. YMMV

Edited by Prolyfic

PT vs Jugg

ST Tank = Jugg

AOE Tank = PT

Defense Tank = Jug

Absorb Tank = PT

Reactive Tank = Jugg

Proactive Tank = PT

This is not rocket science ppl. This is irrelevant to PVE/PVP, this is simply how they were designed to work. No tank is the be all end all and shouldn't be. Quite trying to misinform ppl that one is just because the tank you use works best for what you like to do (see above). Both can do everything

I like AOE engagements more than ST engagements, I like taking steady dps instead of burst, and I like proactively tanking instead of reactively tanking so its obvious I prefer PT. YMMV

Cheers fopr the info - much appreciated. I started another thread on this one actually to try getting to the bottom of it. I'd made some assumptions based on what I'd read (and filtering the whining and boasting etc.) ...turns out the majority of my assumptions are right thankfully.... all that remains to be seen is if I prefer the Powertech playstyle to the Jugg... I've got a 50 Jugg... and a 22 PT

I plan to put some levels into the PT and see how it goes.. I understand both classes will have their limits..of course they will.... I just need to see for myself really which limits I want to live with :)

Thanks again

Some of you ppls are so clueless.. spend some time endgame tanking PT please before you try to assess PT's endgame tanking.

PT vs Jugg

ST Tank = Jugg

AOE Tank = PT

Defense Tank = Jug

Absorb Tank = PT

Reactive Tank = Jugg

Proactive Tank = PT

My guild is in the top 30 in the world for end game content(All content down 16man/8man NMM, except 2 bosses in KP). I tank, I DPS, and I heal. Yes, a powertech can do any boss currently. However, as a healer I would much rather have a juggernaut for every single fight, currently**. As a dps, I don't care. As a powertech, I can tank everything. However, that does NOT CHANGE THE POINT that juggernauts are just simply better(including cooldowns).

You say it doesn't matter in pvp/pve but it does. Powertechs defense/absorb DOES NOT WORK IN PVP. That combined with HORRIBLE cooldowns makes a juggernaut a vastly superior tank. Can powertechs run the ball in Hutball? Of course. Can a juggernaut do it a 1000000% better? You betcha.

You guys make it out to seem I want a 99% damage reduction tanking cooldown or something stupid. I just want the current ones, SLIGHTLY buffed, in the tanking talent tree so that other specs don't get it.