Fresh-ish 50 pvp gearing advice?

Ancaglon

(Kinetic Shadow)

I finished my class story the same week patch 1.1 changed Ilum, so I've never done the Ilum dailies, and being destroyed constantly in the (also new then) level 50 bracket by heavily geared and experienced PVP'ers put me off doing any PVP for a few weeks. After having had a lot more fun with a low level commando in PVP, this weekend I finally gritted my teeth and kept going until I got a couple of daily bags and the weekly bag finished. With the Centurion points I've bought the Survivor boots and headband, which gets me the spinning kick reuse reduction.

What I would appreciate is some advice on the gearing up route -- whether to buy up the "cheaper" pieces to bulk up Expertise ASAP or to save for the "bigger" items, for example. My PVE set is still basically Corellia gear with Belsavis/Ilum armouring/mods, and I use the hyper-battle fortitude or resolve reusable stims. I hit 18k HP self-buffed, and I appreciate that is probably far too much Endurance for effective DPS but I can't see any other way of dealing with the damage from PVP-geared players.

One thing I DON'T want to do is "kill-trading" on Ilum. I think that tactic is ridiculously cheesy, and is explicitly worse than the "taking turns" that all the Ilum changes were supposed to eliminate.

Edited by Ancaglon

My experience is I had PvE gear (all orange moddable) stuff modded to the best I could. Purple nods etc. That is how I had to survive PvP for a while due to my horrible luck with bags pre1.2.

I would suggest saving your commendations for you weapon. Seriously. It is the SINGLE most important DPS increase you can have. Also I would suggest being Kenetic if you are not already... it will help your survivability. After your weapon and since you already have 2 pieces of the survive set then I would go through and update what needs it most. I would then save your champ commendations for you next weapon upgrade. By the time you get it you should have had a few pieces drop. If nothing else you will have all PvP Centurion gear.

Always do your dailies and your weeklies.

Once you have all your centurian gear I would actually suggest using your leftover commendations to buy pieces of armor to take the mods out and remod your gear the way you want. I personally got rid of all my defensive mods.