Episode I : 3D

Clawdaddy

Howdy,

Has anyone seen it? Is it worth the (time) money to revisit this story? I don't see many movies due to geographical inconveniences but I will be in 'The City' next week and when I asked my wife if she'd like to see it again, she replied, '......(sigh)...sure.' not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I love her anyway. I don't want to drag her to a film she's seen many dozens of times already just for the sake of 3D unless it's good 3D.

The last 3D we saw in theatre was Beowulf and it suffered because the characters fell into the 'Uncanny Valley.' look it up if you require explanation. Before that, it was Superman Returns. Terrible 3D.

To torment my wife or not - it's up to you.

I have been to see the Phantom Menance in 3d and i will say this.

If you have seen avatar or despicable me or other recent 3d films you will find the phantom menance rather disapointing.

I think this is going to be the problem with all old style movies converted to 3d medium is that they were never filmed with 3d in mind and as such the effect is rather lost.

I thought the light sabre fights or the starfighter battles would have been really impressive in 3d. However it seems they arnt.

I am not even sure if they re did a lot of the 3d in the film its been so long since i had seen in the movie. That i am sure they have touched up a lot of the cgi.

Either way if you really want to see it go watch the film but i wouldnt make a special trip to go watch and especially drag the other half along.

I responded to a similar thread yesterday with nearly the same criticism as the above post. If you're going into this expecting to see the same 3D style movie with today's standards, Phantom likely won't pacify you. Oddly enough, the three people I saw it with yesterday all agreed, the subtitles were the highlight of the 3D. A lot of what you might be hoping to view in 3D, quite simply isn't, that's all I'll mention without giving to much away. If and when they do release Clones in 3D, unless there's massive improvement, I'll more than likely pass.

One last note, I've seen all six movies in the theaters, dating back to '77 and did enjoy Phantom, so it's not a knock on the film, I just wasn't impressed with the 3D.

Edited by Pirana

Well, Pod-Racing and Space Battles were pretty 3D.

And I'd say it is worth every penny just to see SW back on the big screen.

This exactly, ill be saving up hundreds for the OT.

I thought it was worth a watch, the 3D wasn't kitschy, it added a simple visual depth to a lot of scenes, but it didn't add that much overall, which i thought was nice. some things you should know: they added a bunch of deleted scenes, and made Yoda digital, instead of a puppet, as he was in the original release.