What is with the JC companions?

DregorThule

I've just gotten.. I want to say Therran?.. the exotech inventor. Anyways, I'd hoped when I'd gotten him that he wouldn't exhibit the same odd behaviours that Qyzen does, but alas, he does. So I'm just left to ask.. what the heck is wrong with the JC companions?

So far they don't automatically run in when I attack with Disturbance or Force Wave, if I am grouped with someone and I'm in combat against 3 mobs, if I haven't attacked one with another attack from those and I nor the companion haven't been attacked by it, he'll just stand where he was fighting the last mob and look stupid. And to top it off, if I try and pull with my CC, he'll charge the CC and break it if I don't manually tell him to attack another before he can break it.

So.. what the heck gives?

I've just gotten.. I want to say Therran?.. the exotech inventor. Anyways, I'd hoped when I'd gotten him that he wouldn't exhibit the same odd behaviours that Qyzen does, but alas, he does. So I'm just left to ask.. what the heck is wrong with the JC companions?

So far they don't automatically run in when I attack with Disturbance or Force Wave, if I am grouped with someone and I'm in combat against 3 mobs, if I haven't attacked one with another attack from those and I nor the companion haven't been attacked by it, he'll just stand where he was fighting the last mob and look stupid. And to top it off, if I try and pull with my CC, he'll charge the CC and break it if I don't manually tell him to attack another before he can break it.

Its not a consular problem, but rather a companion problem. Companions not acting as they should when you use certian attacks. it effects the gunslinger too

Its not a consular problem, but rather a companion problem. Companions not acting as they should when you use certian attacks. it effects the gunslinger too

The companions don't react to a target until you finish an attack on the target (not just start casting an ability against them or even when the attack has completed and is in the air; they will only "activate" on the target when the attack actually lands) or the target finishes an attack against you. Disturbance doesn't seem like it activates your companion to attack because it takes 1.5 secs to cast and doesn't "hit" the target until the globe of force hits the target. It's simply an annoying quirk of the AI that your companions don't react to the combat state but rather you actually attacking (or being attacked by) something.

I have noticed that they do not activate if you cast an aoe attack unless you get hit. What I usually do is sent them in to attack (pet attack rebound to a convenient key) then start your aoe (or other spell). The companion has a second or two delay from when you activate attack til they do so it works out pretty well.

Not saying there is a nothing wrong with their current behavior but this workaround has solved most of the issues for me.

*eidt* and this is not just for the consular companions, they all behave this way.

Edited by Ikutai

The companions don't react to a target until you finish an attack on the target (not just start casting an ability against them or even when the attack has completed and is in the air; they will only "activate" on the target when the attack actually lands) or the target finishes an attack against you. Disturbance doesn't seem like it activates your companion to attack because it takes 1.5 secs to cast and doesn't "hit" the target until the globe of force hits the target. It's simply an annoying quirk of the AI that your companions don't react to the combat state but rather you actually attacking (or being attacked by) something.

No, they are definitely NOT attacking upon Disturbance hitting the target. I can chain cast several and my companions won't attack unless the mob hits me, or I use another attack such as project.

And to top it off, if I try and pull with my CC, he'll charge the CC and break it if I don't manually tell him to attack another before he can break it.

Personally i don't experience such behavior.

I just switch of all AoE attack of Quitzen.. (Its 6-th and 7-th of his abilities as far as i remember..)

And he fight just fine, not breaking the target i CC..

No, they are definitely NOT attacking upon Disturbance hitting the target. I can chain cast several and my companions won't attack unless the mob hits me, or I use another attack such as project.

Not experiencing the same on my Sage. They behave exactly as I described for me.

And to top it off, if I try and pull with my CC, he'll charge the CC and break it if I don't manually tell him to attack another before he can break it.

Yeah this is the dumbest thing about JC companions. I have found too that even if you do that, once his first target is dead, he will nearly always attack the CC'ed on next.

I like Qyzen, and he doesn't break my cc's I break them and then he attacks them. But then theirs his aoe so I shut those off when soloing two mans. Anyways try having khem val, and his vows to kill you and his super ugliness. Qyzen is Awesome compared to that noob.

But tharen or whatever his name is is very annoying. His tone drives me up a wall.