Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An honest thread about Ilum and GW2

MrSteebin

BW may have about a year to give pvpers a reason to stay. Both games will allow you to queue up for WZs while in the "pvp zone". The difference between the two is what has me concerned for the health of this game's pvp. In GW2 you zone into a 2 week long battle that is server vs server vs server. This map will supposedly have keeps and strategic ares to control. After the 2 weeks are up each server is rated for how well they did and will fight against servers who have similar ratings.

Now Ilum is a different story. Even if the faction balance was perfect I don't see Ilum being that amazing. The control points are completely useless as a strategic point and the map just isnt interesting.

There has been no footage of this GW2 zone, so for all we know it could suck. It sounds pretty awesome though if they come through.

As a pvper, what would have to happen in Ilum for you to consider staying with swtor over GW2? Ignore the other differences between the two games.

Please check out the PVP forums for

Suggestion: A Simple Way to Fix Ilum

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=292895

Please show support if you like it!! Please spread the word to other active PVPers, especially battlemasters! This is a VERY EASY fix to implement. I truly think Bioware will be happy to sign on with enough support.

What I'd like to see is PvP made to feel more like a war for control of resources and strategic locations. A whole planet dedicated to just that. Make it so that it is faction beneficial to control, not just for the individual which is one of the main issues with MMO PvP as it has developed in my opinion after playing PvP games where the latter is the main aim. EG SWG, DaoC, WWII online, Planetside.

PvP has lately in many MMOs had sole focus on the individuals rewards which ultimately causes a selfish attitude towards PvP and can, in many cases shown, turn PvP into a gear grind.

By focusing PvP around faction objectives and rewards it promotes greater teamplay and faction pride. It also promotes replayability when theres something to gain and lose.

The focus on warzones should be redirected towards factional open world PvP, which obviusly will need some way to balance the population on one-sided servers before something like that can be implemented.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.