Pyrotech Spec Mercenary

StuGameNew

Have been pvping as this spec for a bit now, and I have to say I found it harder to manage heat in both PvP and PvE with this spec, compared to Arsenal and Healing.

How have you guys faired? Any tips? I use the instants and most all cost 25 heat a piece, and it adds up quickly.

I use Rapid shots a lot, and just about never use Power shot.

Incendiary missle > thermal detonator > rail shot > unload > rail shot if procced > rapid shots > rapid shots > and repeat...

I hear lots of people useing power shot but i just dont find the time to use it, i move around soo much, the only time i would use it is if i was low on heat and everything else was on cooldown, just my play style.

U have to really watch the 40 mark. Once over 40heat you dissipate heat much slower, so be sure to stay under 40. Now not every time of course but if VH is on cd then play it safe. Always be ure to use your TSO when it's up. Its really slow and steady, just don't be scared to use RAPID SHOTS. This is the number one problem with switching from Arsenal to Pyro. Arsenal neglects its rapid shots but the pyros RS are actually effective applying the dot and slow debuff. So don't hesitate to weave in some RS. It takes practice but with time and better gear you I'll notice heat becomes a non issue. You can always take Improved vents to help further elevate heat issues. I don't use it but a lot of pyros swear by it... Edited by Irishbrewed

I use Rapid shots a lot, and just about never use Power shot.

Incendiary missle > thermal detonator > rail shot > unload > rail shot if procced > rapid shots > rapid shots > and repeat...

I hear lots of people useing power shot but i just dont find the time to use it, i move around soo much, the only time i would use it is if i was low on heat and everything else was on cooldown, just my play style.

Not Using Power Shot is a great DPS-Loss. It's your filler.

Maybe we have different definitions, but I always thought filler was something you fit in between abilities to make more powerful attacks manageable in a given resource system. For Mercenaries, that's anything that diminishes heat or lets you keep an efficient rotation.

Power Shots is simply an immobile attack that requires Arsenal speccing to ever be efficient. Compared to Unload, however, it is more costly and time intensive to use for Rail procs in a Pyro spec. This makes it more of a last resort for burst/procs than a filler.

Rapid Shots is a filler ability since it is: 1) Free + instant & 2) Powerful when specced in the Pyro tree. This makes it very good at heat dissipation while performing the role of a resolve ignoring slow, armor bypassing DoT, and a buff to Rail shot damage/efficiency.

He is rigth, one shoudl cast power shot a lot actually, once detonator, incendiary missile, and full auto are on cooldown/already on the target. In this case, alternate between power shot and rapid shot, managing your heat.

Its difficult to tell witouht parser, but I think if you count the free rail shot proc (which actually gives 8 heat), power shot (and full auto which always be used, hihgh proirity) is more heat-efficient than detonator or incendiary missile. I use incendiary missile only to make sure there is at least one burning target debuff on the target, the damage/heat is actually quite low.

Also I would try not to use rail shot without the free proc, again because power shot does similar damage/heal and moreover gives the free proc. This free proc is the cornerstone of the rotation, it helps a lot to manage heat; so power shot (and full auto) have to be used a lot (and of course if you can't use anaything else/try to recover heat, use rapid shot ).

This assumes you have the muzzle flutting talent, which IMO is mandatory for pyro DPS.

Edited by germil

Have been pvping as this spec for a bit now, and I have to say I found it harder to manage heat in both PvP and PvE with this spec, compared to Arsenal and Healing.

How have you guys faired? Any tips? I use the instants and most all cost 25 heat a piece, and it adds up quickly.

Copy These Keybinds: http://i.imgur.com/xFVhv.jpg

Movement: Q,W,E,S

Powershot is important. It crits in the 2k range and is on a short cool down. It also has a chance to reset railshot which in turn will be free and vent 8 heat AND reset the timer on your combustable gas cylinder. I find that if i can afford to stay stationary and i am trying to burn someone down, i am using powershot. If i need to move or am just harrying an enemy, i am pressing 1 for rapid shot. There is a learning curve for heat management and the only time i ever really get super high on heat is when trying to solo down a healer that is just staying stationary.

I don't know your playstyle, but i hope your not throwing incend. missile on everyone you see. Unless its voidstar and your worried about the doors this is not a viable strategy.

Try this and it might help, you rapid shot as you are approaching a fight (and to get the DOT on them), and switch targets frequently to get the dot going. Once you choose your target its Incend > Thermal > Rail > Unload > (rail if back up) Powershot (if not) > Rail (if back up) > rapid shot > finally, ONLY if your cooldowns are available, a no heat/intant cast fusion missile (heat cost on this one is horrid).

If you are looking for burst and to panic your opponent (or vs healers/sorc) lead with rapid to deplete any shields they have(and hopefully apply dot) Incend > Thermal > Power shot x2 (aside: this is alot of damage in a short time. Thermal goes off halfway though 2nd power shot) > Rail shot. (These 4 hit for an easy 5k-10k damage in the span of 3ish seconds and depending on crit and surge mods) > unload > rail if available and finish up with a no heat/instant cast fusion missile)

You also need to know when to move and when to buckle down and burn. You will get a handle on it when more play with the class.