The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Did I make a mistake rolling a Vanguard to go Tactics?

MatzahMaul

Currently I am only level 11. Just got off the ship from Ord Mantell. I chose my crew skills and my AC.

I have been fooling around with talent calculators and this is what I have come up with.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::e7fe6f2e5f2ef8ef10ef13

From what I read, Tactics offers good damage without the ammo problems of Assault. Plus I like the idea how having a vibroblade maneuver in which I can bleed enemies.

I am not currently in a guild, so I have no plans on doing endgame pve, but I have not decided if I am going to pvp with this character or not. It all depends on later decisions.

I am just wondering if Tactics is a decent spec to go down? Does it do well in the dps department, along with allowing good survivability?

I like tank-ish style characters. I'd like being able to take a punch, along with dishing them out.

Leveling:

• 11-29: You want to go through the mob groups as quick as possible while still maintaining damage. Tactics will give you the best stuff up until 29.
  • 30-50: Now you got two choices in my opinion. I leveled from 30-40 with a Defense Spec mixed with Assault. But when I hit 40 I went for a full out Assault PvP Tanking Spec as you can dish out a good chunk of damage, while keeping aggro away from Elara - and it's good for PvP.

PvP:

• 11-29: Definetly Tactics, as you won't get Storm or the good HiB buffs from Assault yet
  • 30-50: Once again it's choice - A Defense Tactics Hybrid will give you a good survivability rate and ammo will be "okay" - yet I found that after 40, once again, a PvP based Assault Spec is better. Even with Ammo. Especialy when your HiB costs nothing and GIVES you 1 ammo!

Result:

In the end it's really up to you what you chose, as long as you can play it while having fun.

I use this sometimes when I'm bored:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::e4de9fdfe4f2ef3ef9ef5ef13:

You can use ion cell still for tankiness and the snare.

I enjoy tactics more than assault, but I think assault is still better in terms of damage...it's just a really boring spec to play IMO.

I love storm too much though and always play a variation of shield spec as a main spec using combat tech gear.