Companion Gift Question

Talyndor

Does it matter what level gift you give a companion?

As an example, can you give a level 4 gift to a companion who only has, say, 1000 affection points? Or do you need to wait until they are a higher affection level? If so, how many affection pints correspond to a certain gift level?

Thanks!

Gifts you should use are sort of tiered. For your example, handing out rank4 gift to companion on 1000 affection does not yield full potential affection gain of the item and similarly handing rank1 gift to very high affection level companion gives hardly anything. Gifts are giving most affection roughly at these affection levels:

rank1: 0-2000

rank2: 2000 - 4000

rank3: 4000 - 6000

rank4: 6000 - 8000

rank5: 8000 - 10000

The further away from these you are, the less gain you will get. So rank4 gifts are still pretty useful up to 10000 while rank1 gifts give barely nothing when above 8000. The limits aren't exactly those but it should give you rough idea. Just check when the same rank gift suddenly start giving out less affection.

For your example, handing out rank4 gift to companion on 1000 affection does not yield full potential affection gain of the item

I am not sure what you mean by that. Right now my affection with Tharan is around 3000, that is, rank 2; if I give him a rank 2 luxury item, I gain 96 affection points with him; if I give him a rank 3 one, I get 104.

It can be argued that I am wasting a rank 3 gift, since the affection difference is very small and they are more expensive than rank 2, and I will need them once I reach 4000 affection. I am guessing that was your point. But it may be a good idea when balanced against the cost of keeping them in the cargo hold - and possibly having to buy a new cargo page.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Right now my affection with Tharan is around 3000, that is, rank 2; if I give him a rank 2 luxury item, I gain 96 affection points with him; if I give him a rank 3 one, I get 104.

It can be argued that I am wasting a rank 3 gift, since the affection difference is very small and they are more expensive than rank 2, and I will need them once I reach 4000 affection. I am guessing that was your point. But it may be a good idea when balanced against the cost of keeping them in the cargo hold - and possibly having to buy a new cargo page.

Pile up 8 of those rank 3 gifts, then put them all in a single mail message to an alt. (Mailling multiple items costs no more than mailing one - or none). Leave the message in the alt's mailbox, and when you're ready to use them, have the alt "return" the message and attached items. Much less costly than an extra cargo bay page.

The thing is that when you "outrank" the previous level of gifts, it goes down (i.e. over 3k affection and giving rank 1 you get like 24-36 points)

It doesn't scale in reverse. Lets say rank 2 gets you 96 points rank 3 should get you around 150-200 points (in theory) I believe after 4000 affection rank 2 will yield around 56 points while rank 3 gives you 96 points.

So while you get 104, you are losing extra potential point (cost effectiveness)

Gifts give a base value of 24 affection (for a premium liked gift of the same rank).

A gift which companions don't care about will multiply this by 0.

A favorite gift (second best type) will multiply it by 2.25.

A loved gift (which gives most affection) will multiply it by 4.

A prototype gift will multiply it by 5/3.

An artifact gift will multiply it by 4.

Giving three or more ranks below will multiply it by 0.

Giving two ranks below will multiply it by 0.2

Giving one rank below will multiply it by 0.5

Giving one rank above will multiply it by 1.1

Giving two ranks above will multiply it by 1.3

Giving three or more ranks above will multiply it by 1.5

Non-integer results are rounded to the closest integer.

Example:

A loved prototype gift of one rank above the companion's affection will give 24*4*5/3*1.1 = 176

A favorite artifact gift of two ranks below the companion's affection will give 24*2.25*4*0.2 = 43.2 --- round ---> 43