Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Tanking Stat Distribution Analysis

Agrath

Tl;dr Hey look! I made graphs that tell you the optimal tanking stat distribution per class. Looks like things are reasonably well balanced in terms of tanking class comparison. Check out the mean mitigation calculator too. Here are some pictures. Here is the excel spreadsheet (hosted by dropbox).

Tanking Stat Distribution Analysis

Hello!

After reading around on the tanking forums, I heard a lot of suggestions about the optimal ways to gear a tank. However, I saw a few problems in that 1) the advice varied a great amount and 2) the optimal way to gear one tank class is different from the optimal way to gear another tank class. So I got curious and decided to enter into the realm of theoryocrafting. It turns out that my analysis also happened to calculate all of the required values to determine tanking mitigation scaling, so I made the appropriate graphs.

I decided to solve this problem via brute force due to the relative ease of brute force programming vs the complexities of programmatically solving for three variables (defense rating, shield rating, absorb rating – please note that Damage reduction does not have an effect on optimum stat ratios). Not the smartest solution, but hey – computation is cheap.

As a starting point for this problem, I used Gankstah’s “Tanking: A Primer – FAQs.” Gankstah’s guide is very good in relating the theory behind tanking. It also shows a great way to compare tank performance – though mean mitigation. This analysis is an extension on Gankstah's mean mitigation work. I, along with Gankstah (for the most part) neglected showing empire/republic name translations. There are plenty of other guides for that.

I used MATLAB as a tool to calculate the values and determine the best one. The code is posted at the end of the guide.

Using the values returned by MATLAB, I made an excel spreadsheet to better relay the data.

The spreadsheet is also hosted via dropbox here.

...and at the Sith Warrior Forums (requires username to download)

I also took screenshots and made an album at imgur for those that didn’t want to download the excel file (and use the calculator).

If you have a better way to host this, please tell me!

How to read this spreadsheet:

The first section (Individual Mean Mitigation Calculator) is intended to be used to calculate the mean mitigation of any tank up to T3 gear. Please note that the mitigation calculations vary widely per class, so make sure data is entered into the block of the corresponding class.

The next section (class comparison) is a tanking class comparison based on the current state of the game. The data behind these graphs are in the next three sections. As a way to measure scaling, I used the value of total stats (i.e. defense rating + shield rating + absorb rating). This way, it is independent of fixed gear sets, and is much more flexible. You should take away from this that the tanking classes are pretty well balanced (with SA and BH having a slight advantage over SW) - not that X class is better than the others. Gear choices can easily outweigh the default class mean mitigation advantages. To compare tanks, use the calculator in the spreadsheet, not these comparison graphs.

Note that in this analysis I only considered level 50. Sure, I could have made a 3D contour plot of level vs. total stats vs. mean mitigation, but nah. That being said, this analysis is probably a good approximation of optimal stat distribution pre-50.

The next three sections look at each class specifically and calculate the optimal stat distribution for each total value of stats. Note that only the class specific debuffs (at least, ones that increase mitigation) are accounted for, per class (i.e. Sith Assassin doesn’t get combust bonus, only BH does). On this topic, BH has combust (4% damage reduction) and oil slick (6.66% overall avoid), SA has discharge (5% avoid) and wither (5% damage reduction), and SW has smash (5% damage reduction) for debuffs. This makes the Sith assassin or BH the best off-tank (in terms of mitigation) because they can provide the most damage reduction through debuffs.

In the case of the SA, the 2pc bonus gives 5% shield, which changes the optimal stat distribution per value of total stats. Make sure to use the appropriate graph. (SA with 4 piece bonus: also use the 2 piece bonus graph).

Apparently SW got screwed and need a LOT of defense for optimum mean mitigation. This is really hard to gear for because there is not much top tier gear choice in this game (yet I hope). I decided to calculate a realistic model (capping defense at 500) so that the information was more relevant. SWs, please let me know if you need a graph capped at a lower value.

Note that it may be difficult to get the optimum stat distribution in game because the gear selection/mod-ability is very limited. However, you will still gain mean mitigation increases by getting closer to these values/ ratios.

Please verify my findings and alert me if I made any mistakes. I will try to stay up to date with this project and correct any errors.

Please feel free to re-post this guide to other forums and websites- I just ask that you include my name :]

Thanks for reading!

Agrath

Prophecy of the Five

And now some MATLAB code:

Brute Force Process (hah, this takes 15 minutes to run):

function [dataholder] = bestMitigation( DR)%,twopc, fourpiece)

totalcomputions = 100;
   dataholder = zeros(5,totalcomputions);
   dataholder(1,: )=1:totalcomputions;
   for n=1:totalcomputions
       bestmit = 0;
       bestavoid = 0;
       bestshield = 0;
       bestabsorb = 0;
       n
       tic
       if (n>=825)
           m=825;
       else
           m=n;
       end
       for av=0:m
           if(m>=800)
               k=800;
           else
               k=m;
           end
           for s=0:k                          
               mit=mitigationSA(av,s,n-s-av,DR);

if ((mit> bestmit)&&((n-s-av)<=425))
                   bestmit = mit;
                   bestavoid = av;
                   bestshield = s;
                   bestabsorb = n-s-av;
               end                        
           end
       end
       toc
       dataholder(2,n)= bestmit;
       dataholder(3,n)= bestavoid;
       dataholder(4,n)= bestshield;
       dataholder(5,n)= bestabsorb;
   end
   end

Bounty Hunter Mitigation Calculation:

function [ mitigation ] = mitigationBH( avoid, shield, absorb, DR)
   %4pc bonus
   DR = DR+.02;
   % assume 4% reduced damage from combust (assume up all times, tanking single
   % boss)
   DR=DR+.04;
   %assume level 50
   %BH have 5% base 
   avoid = (30*(1-(1-(0.01/0.3))^((avoid/50)/0.55))+5)/100;
   %BH have 15% shield from stance, 10% shield from Empowered Tech
   %5% from shield generator.
   %2% from shield vents
   shield = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((shield/50)/0.32))+15+10+5+2)/100;

%BH have 6% absorb from talents/skills (Ablative Upgrades)
   %20% from shield generator
   absorb = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((absorb/50)/0.18))+20+6)/100;

mitigation=(1-((1-avoid)*(1-DR)*(shield*(1-absorb)+(1-shield))));

end

Sith Assassin Mitigation Calculation:

function [ mitigation ] = mitigationSA( avoid, shield, absorb, DR)
   %assume level 50
   % assume 5% reduced damage from wither (assume up all times, tanking single
   % boss)
   DR = DR+.05;
   %4piece bonus
   %DR = DR+.02;

%SA have 10% base + 6% from talents/skills (Premonition + Lightning
   %Reflexes)
   % avoid +5% with discharge (assume up all times, tanking single boss)
   avoid = (30*(1-(1-(0.01/0.3))^((avoid/50)/0.55))+10+6+5)/100;

%SA have 15% shield from Dark Charge, 15% shield from Dark Ward
   %two piece tanking set gives +5% shield chance.
   %4piece bonus
       %shield = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((shield/50)/0.32))+15+15+5+5)/100;
   %0piece
       shield = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((shield/50)/0.32))+15+15+5)/100;
   %end
   %SA have 4% absorb from talents/skills (Hollow)
   absorb = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((absorb/50)/0.18))+20+4)/100;

end

Sith Warrior Mitigation Calculation:

function [ mitigation ] = mitigationSW( avoid, shield, absorb, DR)

%assume level 50
   %SW have 5% base + 12% from talents/skills (Guard Stance + Blade Barricade)
   % avoid +5% with smash (assume up all times, tanking single boss)
   avoid = (30*(1-(1-(0.01/0.3))^((avoid/50)/0.55))+5+12+5)/100;
   avoid=avoid+.5;
   %SA have 15% shield from Stance, 4% shield from Shield Specialization
   %two piece tanking set gives +5% shield chance.
   shield = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((shield/50)/0.32))+15+4+5)/100;

absorb = (50*(1-(1-(0.01/0.5))^((absorb/50)/0.18))+20)/100;

end

EDIT 1: 1.1.2 patch SA lightning frequency change

Edited by Agrath

This should be bumped just for the purpose of showing the Devs how seriously screwed up Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Guardians are currently when compared to all other classes, especially in tanking.

In terms of mean mitigation, you're looking at a 4% difference. I don't think that qualifies as 'seriously screwed up.'

However, if you are talking about the ratio of defense rating that the Sith Juggernaut needs compared to other classes to keep the (relatively) same mean mitigation, I absolutely agree. This is a problem because it's not possible to obtain such defense values.

This confirms what I'd suspected about absorption from a Trooper/BH standpoint: It's the most valuable stat to stack at higher gear levels, but the itemization is such that stacking a large quantity of it is nearly impossible.

I hadn't expected it to take so long for shield rating to become more valuable than defense, though.

Did you correct any of the errors in Gankstah’s calculations when you did this spreadsheet?

No, I took his work as accepted theory. I merely added on to his work.

Gankstah didn't make errors; rather, he didn't consider self healing, barriers, tier bonuses, and (some) debuffs into his final calculations.

Thanks so much for this, you obviously spent a lot of time and effort.

No problem! No one else did it, so I finally caved :)

Took me about 20 hours all said and done (including a lot of computation time where I did nothing)

For an SA what is the best method for re-modding for defense? Or the best way to go about reaching a much higher value of defense chance. I'm currently in all columi gear and most enhancements only have high shield rating and low DC value. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, quick math question involving your calculations, SA w/2pc, wither and discharge, would that have included spec'd talent values (for instance, Shadowsight [Republic] Increased stealth detection level by 2 and defense by 2%)? If not, must I calculate those value percentages into the total stat value to optimize my stats?

Edited by Hloki
Corrected my idiocy. Still some left however!

EV and KP bosses have a slight chance to drop some nice mods and enhancements that have different stat distributions than what come in columi/rakata.

Unfortunately, there's really not that much customization available (hopefully more to come in future patches).

On my own SA I've been trading accuracy for mitigation stats. There are a few posts (mostly by kentru) which point out that only your basic attack uses it (all of your other attacks are special attacks, which have 100% base chance to hit anyways). These posts also point out that the fact that the SA basic attack is 3 sub-attacks makes it not matter so much.

Anyways, i'll just wait for a second columi/rakata handpiece and take the enhancement out of that and put it into a different piece.

Total stats = defense rating + absorption rating + shield rating.

All of those other talents and such have already been factored in.

Oh yeah I "downgraded" my enhancements from the normal 56 enhancements in columi gear, to level 50 enhancements with shield/absorption or defense but thats about as good as I can do right now and was wondering if there were any alternatives. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be posting here regularly with more questions or notes.

Oh yeah I "downgraded" my enhancements from the normal 56 enhancements in columi gear, to level 50 enhancements with shield/absorption or defense but thats about as good as I can do right now and was wondering if there were any alternatives.

best way to do it is probably to suggest better customization choice on the suggestions forums =)

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be posting here regularly with more questions or notes.

Please do!

Well it definatly shows what some people want it to show.

I think you missed to point out to people that this is just single target tanking. But I suppose the whole point was to show what you wanted it to show.

Show mean mitigation in the turrets fight in EV when adds spawn and you have 6+ mobs attacking the tank. In any such case the assassin will lose dark ward and set bonus in less then half the cd of it and thus half the fight will be without those two bonuses.

But forget multiple mobs now and lets pretend you allways tank 1 mob as a tank so we can keep pretending Juggernauts are bad.

Well it definatly shows what some people want it to show.

I think you missed to point out to people that this is just single target tanking. But I suppose the whole point was to show what you wanted it to show.

Show mean mitigation in the turrets fight in EV when adds spawn and you have 6+ mobs attacking the tank. In any such case the assassin will lose dark ward and set bonus in less then half the cd of it and thus half the fight will be without those two bonuses.

But forget multiple mobs now and lets pretend you allways tank 1 mob as a tank so we can keep pretending Juggernauts are bad.

Its irrelevant to show these numbers because they are complete throwaways, even on 16 man nightmare, the turrets mean functionally nothing to the the encounter.

If you are having problems beating the turret boss then I truly think you have greater problems as a operation than any BW developer can address.

Resilience, deflection and an absorb adrenal completely nullify any multi-mob tanking issues SA's have. If you refuse to use your (shorter than all other tanking classes) CD's to do the job, that's really just your problem and is not indicative to a problem with the game itself.

On my own SA I've been trading accuracy for mitigation stats. There are a few posts (mostly by kentru) which point out that only your basic attack uses it (all of your other attacks are special attacks, which have 100% base chance to hit anyways). These posts also point out that the fact that the SA basic attack is 3 sub-attacks makes it not matter so much.

Anyways, i'll just wait for a second columi/rakata handpiece and take the enhancement out of that and put it into a different piece.

You can also scavenge the mods/enhancements out of Champion gear as well. I believe its hands/head that have the def/shield mods and enhancements in them.

Its irrelevant to show these numbers because they are complete throwaways, even on 16 man nightmare, the turrets mean functionally nothing to the the encounter.

completely agree

If you refuse to use your (shorter than all other tanking classes) CD's to do the job

SA have one 2 minute CD

Juggs have 1.5 minute CDs

But I suppose the whole point was to show what you wanted it to show.

The main point of this work is the optimal stat distributions, not "which class is better," as I wrote in my wall of text above.

Anyways, if a SA gears properly DW falls off much less often. Most of the QQers just stack shield. Along these lines, taking DW falling off, SAs should probably have LESS shield than indicated on the optimal stat distribution graphs

The main point of this work is the optimal stat distributions, not "which class is better," as I wrote in my wall of text above.

Anyways, if a SA gears properly DW falls off much less often. Most of the QQers just stack shield. Along these lines, taking DW falling off, SAs should probably have LESS shield than indicated on the optimal stat distribution graphs

I have a hard time reading these graphs, I have really absolutely no idea what exactly they show, in which stats are optimal. My discalculi does not help with it either. Any chance you can make these charts a bit more obvious in readability?

I have a hard time reading these graphs, I have really absolutely no idea what exactly they show, in which stats are optimal. My discalculi does not help with it either. Any chance you can make these charts a bit more obvious in readability?

Method to reading graphs:

1) calculate your total stats (ie. defense rating + shield rating + absorb rating). Use the character panel in game.

2) find the value calculated from 1) on the x-axis on the graph of the corresponding chart to your class

3) from that spot on the x-axis, create a vertical line

4) find intersections between this line and the curves on the chart.

5) use legend to figure out which curve means what

6) note the y-values where the intersection occurs for each curve

7) These y-values are the optimal defense rating, shield rating, or absorb rating (according to 5) )

Edited by Agrath

No, I took his work as accepted theory. I merely added on to his work.

Gankstah didn't make errors; rather, he didn't consider self healing, barriers, tier bonuses, and (some) debuffs into his final calculations.

He also didn't properly handle the case of crit chance + shield chance being greater than 100%.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.