Transformed from "Underwhelmed" to "OMG This Game Rocks"

Gratus_Mortuus

I pre-ordered in the first week allowed and was fortunate to get in on the 13th, but that's not the point of this post.

I was invited to beta test for a few weekends and was extremely underwhelmed by the game. So much so that I intended to cancel my pre-order.

My experience in the game over the past few days has resulted in the polar opposite experience. I mean, I am LOVING this game.

A lot probably has to do with the fact that loggin in on the 13th I knew I could casually play for a few days and cancel my order if I felt the same way as during beta. So I played in a much more relaxed manner; of course not having to compete for quest mobs and the like provided a great deal more breathing room and opportunity to be in the moment instead of racing.

Other than common feelings I share which is that the character customizations could have been a lot better and UI improved (which I know they're working on), as a gamer it is hard not to be blown away by SWTOR and finally understand where the rabid fanboys were coming from.

I'm an old dude, in his 50's. I remember all the Star Wars movies although by no stretch a Star Wars "fan"; just a person who enjoyed the films. This game is remarkable on many levels. For a fan of Star Wars it must be a wet dream.

The art, sounds (I have surround sound and omg) and overall game play including the awesome story is just a work of art. I'm playing a Jedi Counselor and when I opened my skill tree up to see Sage & Shadow I was so blown away by the vast options I rolled another JC just so I can have a character with each advanced class lol

I can't comment on PvP yet and that aspect will be the determing factor on if I stay for a few months or longer since PvP is critical for "me". But so far, the PvE is about the most fun I've had in years.

Thank you Bioware for making a very cool game and glad I took another look at this leaving any baggage at the door.

Cheers -Gratus

Edited by Gratus_Mortuus

Im with you Gratus, I have done the whole hardcore raiding 4 nights a week for progression and thrown myself into a role. What I wanted to get out of swtor is a decent experience where I can take my time develop my character and focus more on the story driven elements in a more relaxed easy going way. So far my expectations have been surpassed.

I just finished the BH instance before work and it was really refreshing to do an instance with a group of folks and it not be pull pack,pull pack pull boss there was a crisp and clear storyline where everyone had fun and interacted.

I was actually. I pre-ordered the CE only because all my friends were going to play it. I consider myself a Star Wars "fan" but I honestly was not that excited about another WoW with a different skin.

Then I got into one of the beta weekends. I wasn't impressed the first half an hour, but after that... the depth, immersion, cinematics, etc... started adding up. By the end of the first night, I was hooked. I spent a good hour in the chargen customizing my character exactly the way I wanted her, and then wrote down all the options so I could just fly into retail. She looks very good and makes a perfect Inquisitor.

I couldn't be happier that I decided to pre-order when I did. I was on the fence before, but I'm all-in now.

I just finished the BH instance before work and it was really refreshing to do an instance with a group of folks and it not be pull pack,pull pack pull boss there was a crisp and clear storyline where everyone had fun and interacted.

Funny, my experiences was completely different, with the only commentary being "Oh, we didn't get to kill the NPCs" but other than that, it was...zerg zerg zerg.