PvP - PLAYERS, FPS AND LAG?

Ajudicated

I know some of the basics around what causes low FPS and LAG in online games.

These include:

• Server bandwidth
  • Client bandwidth
  • Frequency of sending/receiving packets
  • Size of packets
  • Transport mode & encryption (http, https, binary,xml etc)
  • Costs of Compression and Decompression of game data (client and server)

Just in today's technological age I cannot see why 100 players could be causing so many issues when they come together. I know its not ideal in a game like this to have 50 v 50 in one place at one time (usability, chaos, reduced usability experience), but it should be handled better than this if it does happen.

1. What areas have I missed?

2. Where do you guys think the bottle necks are?

3. What areas could be looked at to improve performance?

If you think about it, you have at some points 2000 players playing on one server, and if they are all dispersed throughout the map, you would encounter very little or no performance issues. Even if you add in group content (4-16-32 players) where there can many groups of this size, in most cases performance is again good.

If I had to look at something, I would look at the packet size and compression/decompression used.

IMO, i wouldn't be surprised if there is some inefficiencies here that can improved on.

You missed intentional server side throttling to compensate for people on higher latency connections.

This would imply that your only going to be receiving data as fast as the slowest connected player in your vicinity?

I know it sucks for some people, but maybe that's an option, you must regularly have bars of 3 or more (i think it 0 to 5) to join WZs and PvP Illum.

If you have low latency you cant connect or if are in game and low latency occurs more than 5 times within 5 mins you get dropped from the instance (maybe TPd back to your ship)

This would imply that your only going to be receiving data as fast as the slowest connected player in your vicinity?

I know it sucks for some people, but maybe that's an option, you must regularly have bars of 3 or more (i think it 0 to 5) to join WZs and PvP Illum.

If you have low latency you cant connect or if are in game and low latency occurs more than 5 times within 5 mins you get dropped from the instance (maybe TPd back to your ship)

Not necessarily at the rate of the slowest person in your area, but a rate so the servers don't get overloaded with incoming/outgoing packets. Basically an artificial bottle neck to insure stability, otherwise if a server got too busy it would be like DDoSing the server. So basically it throttles down, well throttles down isn't a good phrase, but more like caps speeds it can process data.

Edited by Quantum