What Effect Did Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Launch Have on World of Warcraft?

Chromiie

I doubt there was much of a real effect.

i left EQ after i moved to japan.... my play times did not align up with my raiding guilds times. EQ 1999 to 2007.

i left wow about the time Rift started Beta.

2007 to 2010.

I left Rift when TOR launched.

i am going to stick with TOR for a while. i enjoy it, my play time is limited to a few hours after my wife and son go to bed.

going overseas and starting a family has moved me from hardcore to casual.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Blizz said if you buy a year subscription to WoW then you get beta access to mists of Pandara and Diablo 3 FREE.

I think that caused more people to resub WoW then WoW itself.

I fell for it :| I didn't think I'd like SWTOR, tried all the post MMO launches and was disappointed so I did the annual pass now I'm locked in for another 9 months and I haven't logged into WoW since early January.

Please correct me if I am wrong

WoW has 2 million subs in North America and Europe.

SWTOR has nearly the same

WoW has 9 million subs in Asia.

SWTOR has zero?

If this is correct once they release in Asia then....if I am correct????

Edited by Astralll

Please correct me if I am wrong

WoW has 2 million subs in North America and Europe.

SWTOR has nearly the same

WoW has 9 million subs in Asia.

SWTOR has zero?

If this is correct once they release in Asia then....if I am correct????

More estimated 4-5 million in North America & Europe. Most of their revenue comes from these subs.

the fact that SWIFTY and his WoW friends barely play swtor speaks volumes about what wow players think of this game.

SWIFTY even made an SWIFTYswtor youtube channel and was being paid by sponsors to play the game and put out videos, and he has all but abandoned that.

SWIFTY is a youtube star from WoW. if him and his WoW friends barely play this game, it means they don't really like it

you can watch his channels SWIFTY and SWIFTYirl and you'll see he went back to wow

The guy makes his living from playing games. His mortgage, his children's college fund, his car repayments...are based on it.

So with that in mind...where would you go? To the new game with 1.7mil potential viewers or the one with 5mil potential viewers (I doubt WoW's asian subs care much about shifty/swifty etc).

The fact he chooses to 'sell his product' on the more populous game makes sense to me. If TOR hit 5mil by this time next year Swifty will come running along with the other mercenaries. It's simple really.

I have no clue on what effect TOR has had on WoW. Neither does anyone in this thread. We'll know in may when the figures for Jan/feb/march are released. That will show one way or another....not figures using the last 10 days of December.

My hunch is that WoW will drop to 9mil at the next call. I'd bet money on it infact. Not really sure how much I care but am a bit curious to see.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Star Wars is a Space Opera... sorry bud :(

Fantasy is elves, orcs, wizards, fairies, stuff to that ordeal

Science Fiction is just complete star systems, rayguns, atomic energy neucleoreactors, i.e. star trek

Space Opera is adventures and romance in space i.e. flash gordon/buck rogers/ stuff like that with it having a lot of aspect of science fiction tied in

I am still amazed that people still play WoW after all these years.

WoW is like an old post,close it and let it die.

I imagine anyone who still plays WoW will never say anything about a old post,as long as it is still relevant,right?

I am still amazed that people still play WoW after all these years.

WoW is like an old post,close it and let it die.

I imagine anyone who still plays WoW will never say anything about a old post,as long as it is still relevant,right?

A lot of people are just comfortable where they are and have blinders on. /shrug.

TOR vs. WoW is a moot argument, simply because TOR will never surpass what WoW has accomplished in almost 10 years. Not anytime soon. Probably not ever.

Sigh. Mebbe I think too big. But I hope for this thing to approach wow's refined-ness some day.

Hi everyone,

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We have closed this thread as the discussion primarily focuses on other games. Please ensure that topics in General Discussion center around discussion of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thanks!