New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

Somebody said no fix until the 21st? It does not take that long to rollback which means they're most likely making some other change instead. It's outright stupid to try something else new given how many people are POd...everybody in my guild doesnt like it, and a couple are contemplating returning to wow. It makes sense to have an option to choose your preference. But Again its outright stupid to not swallow their pride and rollback asap until they deploy whatever they have planned. I would think paychecks mean more than pride.

Yes, Stephen Reid; here's the link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2702348#edit2702348

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me I don't necessarily have to be looking at the bars, my peripheral vision picks up on it fast. Real fast. It's eyestrain pain (feels like flu if you don't know what that feels like) quickly followed by a headache.

I sense a trend in many posts that some folks think those of us complaining are are exaggerating or outright lying. In my case nothing could be farther from the truth. I have poor eyesight and take a medication that makes me photosensitive. This game was fine until the patch had the flashing start.

I've never before had a physiological response to a video game before this current situation arose.

Not everyone responds the same to this type of stimulus.

I don't want to spoil anyones game. I just wish Bioware would simply offer an option to kill the blasted flashing on my end.

I don't see why a simple separately down-loadable patch to my client couldn't kill this game killing effect for me and other suffering from it. I don't see why this would necessitate any game downtime either if done with a client side patch.

(Reposted from recently closed thread)

Excellent choice of words. I was very pleased with the game before this patch. The flashing causes my eyes to strain and headaches to occur as well. I have literally started wearing sunglasses while playing until this issue has been solved.

Somebody said no fix until the 21st? It does not take that long to rollback which means they're most likely making some other change instead. It's outright stupid to try something else new given how many people are POd...everybody in my guild doesnt like it, and a couple are contemplating returning to wow. It makes sense to have an option to choose your preference. But Again its outright stupid to not swallow their pride and rollback asap until they deploy whatever they have planned. I would think paychecks mean more than pride.

Well obviously they are going to try implement a changeable ui

Expecting a rollback is a bit much considering its a small amount of players

Having the issue with the ui

And most players have no issue with it

Well obviously they are going to try implement a changeable ui

Expecting a rollback is a bit much considering its a small amount of players

Having the issue with the ui

And most players have no issue with it

I'll just give you some number to shows errors in your logic. (These numbers are not meant to support the actual situation).

What is fairer, 5% of paying customers not able to play for 100 hours?

Or 100% of paying customers not able to play for 1?

Also according to their poll, which is the only reflection they have of people's actual satisfaction with the new UI, almost 60% thought it was terrible. Though I concede this doesn't mean that 60% would favor server shutdown to do a rollback. Just trying to show you that it is not as black & white as you make it out to be.

(The poll while not representative of the entire population, is still the best evidence they have.)

Edited by Thesseract

Seriously, they can't just rollback the UI changes until they have a set of "options" available? They won't have this set ready to rollout until the 20th? Tentatively? So they can hotfix one screwup but can't hotfix another? I was planning to start my first round of serious tanking tonight but neon crap is going to mess up my rotation.

So what if the UI on 20th isn't any better? What if it still needs tweaking, so now we add another week to the wait? No, it's time you swallow your pride BW and just fix the issue. It's painfully obvious this is a major game breaker for a lot of people. Locking Forums isn't going to help. How many posts on this subject are you up to now anyways?

I've canceled my account, which has 7 days left. That's how long you have to correct this issue. Either fix it now or give us a refund during your QA of the "new" UI or I don't resub at the end of 7 days.

I am very very unhappy about this. I really liked this game. :confused:

Edited by Redshirtfail

Also according to their poll, which is the only reflection they have of people's actual satisfaction with the new UI, almost 60% thought it was terrible. Though I concede this doesn't mean that 60% would favor server shutdown to do a rollback.

But of that 60% how many are actually able to play for the server shutdown to affect them?

JUST SAYIN.

You shouldn't bother arguing with them. They aren't going to get it. I think this is why the devs aren't actually taking care of this in a timely manner. I think they don't understand that it is actually hurting peoples heads and causing problems. I have played games for 20 years and this is the first time a game has ever made me stop playing it because it made me sick. I am really debating about coming back after the 21st if that's when they decide to fix it. I mean really what if they break something else? Oh well this baby/whiner is out for now. =D

For the reading is a chore, it does not affect me you baby/whiner etc crowd. Let me set this in plain English...

The combat effects are spread out in the main focal point of the screen, toning down the bloom and other lighting in the settings mutes and washes it out a great deal... besides being in the main focal area of the screen, also they do not override the main gama and brightness settings causing a peripheral flash at a 1-1.5 second interval.

The bar flash it is a white or blueish white (both contrasting colors to everything else) not really controlled by the over all game settings. Having to turn the overall gama and brightness settings making dark enough to strain to see the actual game...Secondary the tiles are darkened to pointless button mashing increasing the flashing strobe effect. See the horrible cycle? More strobe more eye strain. Adding a strobe like affect is a big no no anyways.

It is a known effect of strobe lights, and some of us do have issues on bright days the natural strobe effect of shadow and light. It being real life we deal with it, but paying for it for abuse is another.

But since it does not affect you, you say "you must have a hard time driving." Some of us do and you spout more ignorant crap of "Go see a DOCTOR!!" wow brainiac HOW do you think we have found out about our photo sensitive reactions?

No of course you don't since it does not affect you it must not be real.... nice head in the sand mentality that caused rl unneeded death and suffering through out history.. It does not affect you there for must not be real.

So instead of going "hmm there might be something to this..." you say qq more, adapt to it etc. posting more short sided ignorant comments thinking it is over blown and funny.

Glad mine and others physical discomfort gives you actual joy...

I am so glad your special snowflake little microverse has never hit a hiccup and caused you any discomfort..

But of that 60% how many are actually able to play for the server shutdown to affect them?

JUST SAYIN.

It's kinda pointless for anybody oustide Bioware to try and quantify this number. Just some of the 60% would play during the shutdown period and some wouldn't. So those who would favor a server shutdown would be less <60%.

But there are so many other variables and factors to consider before doing a shutdown that it would be pointless to speculate.

Bottom line, Bioware did their own math, and decided that screwing over those who want the UI changed asap was in Bioware's best interest.

I just hope that Bioware suffers because of this and improves the way they treat people in the long run.

Edited by Thesseract

Two things escape me at opposite ends of the spectrum. One is how on earth such a terrible change was made...half afraid to see what changes are made in the future. The other is that I'm really surprised it makes people sick...a lot of games make me sick long before anyone else I know while this doesn't bother me (except for getting annoyed because it sucks to use). I assume it must depend on monitor resolutions, brightness, size, etc.

It's kinda pointless for anybody oustide Bioware to try and quantify this number. Just some of the 60% would play during the shutdown period and some wouldn't. So those who would favor a server shutdown would be less <60%.

But there are so many other variables and factors to consider before doing a shutdown that it would be pointless to speculate.

Bottom line, Bioware did their own math, and decided that screwing over those who want the UI changed asap was in Bioware's best interest.

I´d wish the did some math. But I don´t think so , this situation is very unpredictible , I would love to see some topics about this on world wide games webpages , magazines etc.. That would have a huge impact I think , but thats not gonna happened anyway.

The worst thing is , how could it come to servers ? It shows zero testing , thinking , etc...

Also if they think that PTS will do it for them that is huge mistake.

there were 2 huge bugs in this patch one got fixed in 2 days even though that number of responses and fury on forums was significally lesser then to this one. One has to ask Do they even care or is it totally random what are they doing ?

You shouldn't bother arguing with them. They aren't going to get it. I think this is why the devs aren't actually taking care of this in a timely manner. I think they don't understand that it is actually hurting peoples heads and causing problems. I have played games for 20 years and this is the first time a game has ever made me stop playing it because it made me sick. I am really debating about coming back after the 21st if that's when they decide to fix it. I mean really what if they break something else? Oh well this baby/whiner is out for now. =D

hey just had a dust up with a guy in my guild about it.. I was way less than nice in that conversation.

I also doubt ill be back but we will see, The choice to return or not is solely based on the time I am being shorted.

Two things escape me at opposite ends of the spectrum. One is how on earth such a terrible change was made...half afraid to see what changes are made in the future. The other is that I'm really surprised it makes people sick...a lot of games make me sick long before anyone else I know while this doesn't bother me (except for getting annoyed because it sucks to use). I assume it must depend on monitor resolutions, brightness, size, etc.

Well I read in thread they close its something like motion sickness , either u can get it or no I guess. Weirdest thing is I´ve have never ever had problem in any game , life , activity what I ve done.But this ui just make me feel like I´m gonna puke. Really lot alike when u are sick in car.What I was sometime. Funny thing is that it never happens when I drive :D

Edited by Feanor_cz

Do y'all seriously not know how polls work? Most polls only take 1,000 peoples opinions. Some look at 100. It is a sampling of something to get a statistic. Like they say 1 out of every 5 smokers get lung cancer. That does not mean if you get 100 smokers in a room that 20 of them will get cancer. No it is a statistic. That is how polling works. lol

I´d wish the did some math. But I don´t think so , this situation is very unpredictible , I would love to see some topics about this on world wide games webpages , magazines etc.. That would have a huge impact I think , but thats not gonna happened anyway.

The worst thing is , how could it come to servers ? It shows zero testing , thinking , etc...

Also if they think that PTS will do it for them that is huge mistake.

there were 2 huge bugs in this patch one got fixed in 2 days even though that number of responses and fury on forums was significally lesser then to this one. One has to ask Do they even care or is it totally random what are they doing ?

I would only be guessing but this is how it probably went with Ilum versu the UI.

"People are reporting an Ilum bug"

"Hmm we should be able to fix that rather quickly let's jsut work on that"

"People are also complaining about the UI"

"Hmm, that one seems to bother more people but it's more work so let's just wait and hope it goes away"

"The post is getting rather long"

"Hmmm, let's just make a poll"

"The poll hates the new UI"

"Hmm, we just shut down the servers for Ilum, we can't do it again without making more people mad. Forget the UI change, we'll fix it later."

Okay I may have exaggerated a little. But you guys get the idea. The Ilum was easier and less controversal, so they stuck their head in the sand and just focused on that.

Edited by Thesseract

I would only be guessing but this is how it probably went with Ilum versu the UI.

"People are reporting an Ilum bug"

"Hmm we should be able to fix that rather quickly let's jsut work on that"

"People are also complaining about the UI"

"Hmm, that one seems to bother more people but it's more work so let's just wait and hope it goes away"

"The post is getting rather long"

"Hmmm, let's just make a poll"

"The poll hates the new UI"

"Hmm, we just shut down the servers for Ilum, we can't do it again without making more people mad. Forget the UI change, we'll fix it later."

Nah they have separate teams working on these issues. Obviously the UI team is not with it and the PVP team is. People have been talking about the bad UI since Oct 2011.

i would only be guessing but this is how it probably went with ilum versu the ui.

"people are reporting an ilum bug"

"hmm we should be able to fix that rather quickly let's jsut work on that"

"people are also complaining about the ui"

"hmm, that one seems to bother more people but it's more work so let's just wait and hope it goes away"

"the post is getting rather long"

"hmmm, let's just make a poll"

"the poll hates the new ui"

"hmm, we just shut down the servers for ilum, we can't do it again without making more people mad. Forget the ui change, we'll fix it later."

If they actually listened to any of the suggestions about the UI since beta, they wouldn't look so much like the ignorant, arrogant noobs that they clearly are.

Bioware, I suggest you stop trolling your playerbase immediately and ACTUALLY PLAY YOUR EFFING GAME FOR A BIT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.

Stephen Reid: blaming your paying subscribers for not testing out your company's assanine changes on PTR is bad, bad form.

/UIrage

YI think they don't understand that it is actually hurting peoples heads and causing problems.

Oh, I think they understand. Which leaves 3 options:

1. They are too incompetent to fix it quickly

2. They just don't care all all about whether customers can use the product

3. They enjoy making customers suffer and get a chuckle from it

My money is on #3.

Everytime I see one of these crybaby posts like "wahhh wahh they are too focused on pvp, they don't give a crap about pve. This is stupid. Mom, I I want my bottle now! and make sure the milk is warm, because I don't like cold milk" I cant do anything but laugh. When wil you people realize. Is this your first mmo? Or was WoW your first mmo? And no, before you even say it, I am NOT going to say "This game is only so old, give it time". That's not my point. The point is, the development team is not 500 guys all working on the same problem. They care about PVP and PVE EQUALLY. What don't you guys understand about that? Just because the pvp development team corrected an issue before the pve team was able to correct the cooldown bug doesn't mean they don't care. They have multiple teams assigned to multiple things. That's the truth. I don't care how much you kick and scream that I'm wrong, because guess what...I'm not wrong, and the funny thing is I'm not even trying to be an ***.

When the PVE team gets a fix allocated for the GCD issue, it will be implemented as fast as possible. The fix hasn't been found yet, so of course it's not going to go out in tonights patch. The pvp team on the other hand found the issue and corrected it because they are two entirely separate issues and require different solutions, either less or more diffcult than the other.

Stop thinking it's 500 gerbils crammed into a room trying to fix every facet of the game at once, because it's not. You don't work in computer programming. You don't know the first thing about what it takes to address bugs and alter code to correct problems. Just because you can use photoshop and run windows updates doesn't mean you're an expert at this sort of thing. The issue WILL BE FIXED. We have to wait until the team assigned to this issue comes up with a solution that will PLEASE everyone, which is IMPOSSIBLE because every single individual in this community wants something different than the guy standing next to him. I'm sorry for ranting and coming off condescending, but god damnit this is the worst community I've ever seen. I mean, threatening to sue because bioware wasn't aware of your health issue? Good luck in court. You'll get laughed out of the courtroom by the judge and the bailiff.

Everytime I see one of these crybaby posts like "wahhh wahh they are too focused on pvp, they don't give a crap about pve. This is stupid. Mom, I I want my bottle now! and make sure the milk is warm, because I don't like cold milk" I cant do anything but laugh. When wil you people realize. Is this your first mmo? Or was WoW your first mmo? And no, before you even say it, I am NOT going to say "This game is only so old, give it time". That's not my point. The point is, the development team is not 500 guys all working on the same problem. They care about PVP and PVE EQUALLY. What don't you guys understand about that? Just because the pvp development team corrected an issue before the pve team was able to correct the cooldown bug doesn't mean they don't care. They have multiple teams assigned to multiple things. That's the truth. I don't care how much you kick and scream that I'm wrong, because guess what...I'm not wrong, and the funny thing is I'm not even trying to be an ***.

When the PVE team gets a fix allocated for the GCD issue, it will be implemented as fast as possible. The fix hasn't been found yet, so of course it's not going to go out in tonights patch. The pvp team on the other hand found the issue and corrected it because they are two entirely separate issues and require different solutions, either less or more diffcult than the other.

Stop thinking it's 500 gerbils crammed into a room trying to fix every facet of the game at once, because it's not. You don't work in computer programming. You don't know the first thing about what it takes to address bugs and alter code to correct problems. Just because you can use photoshop and run windows updates doesn't mean you're an expert at this sort of thing. The issue WILL BE FIXED. We have to wait until the team assigned to this issue comes up with a solution that will PLEASE everyone, which is IMPOSSIBLE because every single individual in this community wants something different than the guy standing next to him. I'm sorry for ranting and coming off condescending, but gosh darnit this is the worst community I've ever seen. I mean, threatening to sue because bioware wasn't aware of your health issue? Good luck in court. You'll get laughed out of the courtroom by the judge and the bailiff.

Except the UI affects both pvp and pve. This has nothing to do with PVE versus PVP.

Edited by Thesseract

Oh, I think they understand. Which leaves 3 options:

1. They are too incompetent to fix it quickly

2. They just don't care all all about whether customers can use the product

3. They enjoy making customers suffer and get a chuckle from it

My money is on #3.

And it's people like this that make me lose all faith in society. Yeah, I'm sure bioware is happy that they have unhappy customers. I'm sure there drinking beer, eating popcorn and telling jokes because their customers are upset. Stop pretending you could do any better, because even if you all the assets, and financial backing they had, it would take you an entire lifetime to fix an issue they could put out in a single client-side patch without even so much as restarting the servers.

Edited by Rodanth_The_Wise

Except the UI affects both pvp and pve. This has nothign to do with PVE versus PVP

That is not my point. Of course it effects both scenarios. The point is there are several people in this thread spouting bogus claims like bioware only cares about the pvp community and could give two ***** about the pve players, which is a complete and utter farce. That is what my post is directed towards.

That is not my point. Of course it effects both scenarios. The point is there are several people in this thread spouting bogus claims like bioware only cares about the pvp community and could give two ***** about the pve players, which is a complete and utter farce. That is what my post is directed towards.

Then maybe you should direct your posts better guy. Because this isn't about PVP versus PVE.

Edited by Thesseract

Your post is directed towards issues not related to the new cooldown UI, and so, the time you spent on that poorly conceived wall of text was a total waste. I care about the cooldown UI, not your ridiculous opinions about what subscribers think of BW's priorities.

I apologise to you if English isn't your first language, but you need to learn how to read.

I'm not sure how any of what you said applies to any real aspect of this thread any more...

...Rodanth_the_wise...two things wrong with your long rant earlier. One is that it doesn't take long to roll back a change. Two is that the change was so bad that it's hard to believe it was deployed to begin with. And in my case it has nothing to do with feeling sick...it's about how badly it sucks to use.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.