The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Battering ram/ Static shield...

KoreanKamkazi

You would need to rely on your shields a lot for it to proc (Atleast the instant cooldown, but the critical is consistant!). But it could work! (Really well infact) But are you going to use this in PvP or PvE? Edited by VragonBral

Have you tried: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801uMGMdoroMZMsrroZb.1 or http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRMZ0MZbIbrdhGMs.1 ?

Those two have gotten great mileage for me, especially the last one. The build you posted is good, but part of me notices that its still lacking a real heavy amount of damage anywhere. The spot it could get the most is out of the 30% extra crit damage from Static Surge. Since it seems very heavily stockstrike focused.

Edited by VragonBral

My thing is with static surge (and i may be wrong) but its a crit bonus... if im shield spec, my crit chance is pretty low, i can understand the 30 bonus would be great, but if im only crit'ing 12 percent of the time, what good does that really do me? those two points IMO could be used in serrated for added Dot damage.

Side note i wasnt a huge fan of this build. comparing stock stats (no buffs) i only lost a percentage of my shield chance... Battering ram just didnt do it for me...

My next issue is that im not a fan of switching cells in a fight, Assault would make me happy im sure but its heavy cell based.. and i dont want to lose the effects of ion cell... I guess im greedy, but theres got to be the "perfect" hybrid build, tanky but able to deal some decent damage...

thanks guys i will continue to work, i know its in there somewhere

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGRbRbRMZMsMMoZb.1

This is the spec I've been running since 50. I'm now all champ gear with 3 pcs of centurion gear and my top dmg in a WZ has been 250k, with my top protect being 140k.

To be honest I don't think damage should be your big worry if your going to be playing ion cell. Every group really needs atleast 1 dedicated pvp tank to make their pvp group unstoppable. Switching your guard around and keeping taunts going out helps a hell of alot more than another person doing 200-350k dmg in a tank cell, when others can be doing 400k-800k dmg.

But IMO this spec is probably the most hybrid you will get with this without spending useless points.

My thing is with static surge (and i may be wrong) but its a crit bonus... if im shield spec, my crit chance is pretty low, i can understand the 30 bonus would be great, but if im only crit'ing 12 percent of the time, what good does that really do me? those two points IMO could be used in serrated for added Dot damage.

Side note i wasnt a huge fan of this build. comparing stock stats (no buffs) i only lost a percentage of my shield chance... Battering ram just didnt do it for me...

My next issue is that im not a fan of switching cells in a fight, Assault would make me happy im sure but its heavy cell based.. and i dont want to lose the effects of ion cell... I guess im greedy, but theres got to be the "perfect" hybrid build, tanky but able to deal some decent damage...

thanks guys i will continue to work, i know its in there somewhere

Okay, the talent you get right before it. The one you already had 2 points into, it increases the Stockstrike critcal chance by 30% as well. So you will get 30% increased chance when using it, ONTOP of your regular Crit chance. So relatively you will have 42% chance to critical.

Just read Static Shield and Static Surge very carefully. The two go together so VERY well. Also it increases your Explosive Surge a lot too. So you can keep aggro in PvE.

And nononono. You don't need to switch Plasma Cell. The build I listed second, that I am using. I still have Ion Cell ALL the time. It allows me to use Guard, and have higher damage reduction. It applys on shot's, and is a guarenteed proc' on stockstrike, also it slows with the Proc'! Yes, points are put into making Plasma Cell better in the Assault tree, but that is just to access the High Impact Bolt and other useful talents. They may be "wasted" in some eyes, but to me its worth it. The build allows me to put out good DPS and still defend important units.

Some good resources are like Taugrims Posts: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=244885

He always has a lot of good info on things. The build he has in that thread is very Tanky and has amazing Utility. I use to use it. But I found it lacking in damage for PvP in my mind. Sure it has GREAT sustained, but bad burst.

Edited by VragonBral