Do you think Star Wars canon is too strict?

ShadowsOfAmn

Do you think the writers have their hands tied too often when it comes making big changes in the universe. Sure, its fun being a canon lawyer but don't you think that Star Wars is a bit overly strict with their canon?

I personally would prefer the approach of Marvel which just makes a bunch of new universes for the writers to get freedom in. Or the approach in Star Trek which is a little bit more restricting where only the movies and t.v. series is canon which allows for writers to move about freely while only having to worry about the canon in movies/t.v series.

I'm not sure that the Star Wars cannon is all that strict. Keep in mind that there are different levels of cannon and only the movies are absolute (I've heard conflicting things about TCW). Aside from that writers seem pretty free to me to come up with what they want and even if it does contradict the movies its simply ignored. I don't think this is any different than what DC or Marvel do where they write comics that are intended to be alternate histories or otherwise outside the conical universe.

I could be misunderstanding your question but basically SW has its own version of alternate histories/time lines they just refer to it as different levels of cannon instead.

Lucas Arts is about as strict as Games Workshop.

Both have to approve anything to do with canon lore and both heavily despise any changes made to it.

The only difference is, the Warhammer (both sets) have so much open to interpretation while Lucas pretty much holds rein over his baby.

So while both are pretty strict on what can and can't be done, LA is far more so.