The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Akward Vanguard Gameplay?

Chrismilk

He's suppose to be a very different individual. He doesn't fit with the Ranged crowd, nor the Melee. He sits between the two groups and is not "Mainstream". He finds balance in both worlds as he sits at 10 meters, mete'ing out punishment with his electric beam rifle of doom.

In all seriousness, he is meant to be a mid-range to close range fighter, with soft long range support. He covers all ranges, but is better the closer he gets.

My vanguard doesn't know who he wants to be, I say.

I have a line of ranged attacks and another with melee.(lvl 19 btw)

Should I only be using my melee attacks? Help please.

You only want to use the abilities your skill tree of choice improves as well as some utility abilities that all trees benefit from.

First you want to look at your tree and start using only the abilities that the tree benefits. Once you are comfortable with this "core set" of abilities, you want to see what other abilities do for you. If they help you use your core set of abilities (i.e. Harpoon lets you place an enemy in the perfect location for your Stockstrike) then start using them. If they work against your talents (i.e. Tactics likes to use Pulse Cannon but Sticky Grenade pushes enemies in random directions away from the Pulse Cannon), then you can drop those abilities (although in PvP almost everything has a use because of the versatility you need to fight human enemies).

Overall you will be fighting in sub-10m range for sure; every spec likes to use Stockstrike a lot so you may as well start a fight off with Sticky Grenade/Unload into a High Impact Bolt while running towards your enemies to start meleeing them and using Ion Pulse.

Our toolbox really does vary depending on spec and what you want to do with it.

I'm Assault. I'll run in firing off an Incendiary Round to allow me to High Impact Bolt, Ion Pulse while closing afterwards to hopefully refresh it, and then mix it up depending on the mob.

If it's melee-strong, I'll probably drag it around, snaring it with Ion Pulse/Plasma Cell/Sweltering Heat and pop in Hammer Shots/High Impact Bolts when Ionic Accelerator procs. If it's shooty, I may close in, smacking it with Stockstrikes (and again, HIB procs), either way while my burn damage over time effects help cook the mob medium rare.

Or if it's a bunch of weaker mobs, I may drop a Mortar Volley on them, then spray the lot with a Pulse Cannon and then drop a Sticky Grenade in for some breathing room and pest control. You won't use everything (and some abilities like Explosive Round end up very limited in use later on), and your talents will weight what's most effective, but it's worth learning how everything works. You'll find it's a higher learning curve, but worth it.