The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking SOA last night

LandPhil

So I'm tanking SOA last night in normal EV and I was just having a terrible time keeping agro in phase 3. Phase 1-2 arent bad because of you are standing still but phase 3 was constant taunting and SOA chasing dps. This made it really difficult to get him under the pylons.

Did anyone else have any trouble?

My gear is better than average. I've tanked a long time. I'm wondering if something got "fixed" which is causing problems.

discuss. :)

Edited by LandPhil

I've only tanked this on my Shadow (as my Vanguard is merely level 38, and gonne be a dps to boot), but seeing as Soa is invulnerable until you remove his shield in phase 3 (by moving him under the pylons) your DPS should just not attack him (or at least keep the damage to a minimum while stacking whatever buffs / procs / "rage" (dunno what the sentinel/guardian resource name is) so they can take down mind traps faster)

At least this is the tac we went with on normal. Just don't touch him, gives the tank a much easier time moving him around for the Pylons and just spotting where they're coming, makes the DPS ready when the mind traps spawn, and then whatever happens, when his shield drops as the pylons fall on his face, full nuke on Soa no matter what mind traps are up, for the few seconds his shield is down. We had no issues once I actually placed him under the pylons :p Granted, this *was* on normal and we haven't reached Phase 3 in our Hardmode run yet (We've only been on Soa once on hardmode, so... And this was for like 15 minutes)

Edited by Bendix

SoA phase 3 is bugged. I cleared this encounter 4-5 times with my guild. We usually wipe once or twice and defeat him after.

Yesterday... we wiped for 2 hours before I decided to stop trying because of bugs in phase 3. He drops aggro and run amok, it is almost impossible to solo tank him now, you need 2 tanks to alternate the taunt to get him in position under pylons.

The new mechanic is very boring, they need to do something about this because frankly it ruins the EV experience. Even before the pylon drops without shadow on the ground or indication was somewhat not easy to determine. Now with this bug where he drops aggro and go mostly where the mind trap is, you cannot taunt him long enough for him to get to you in time for the pylon drop.

Honestly, made me rage yesterday as I felt responsible for the wipes.

Honestly, made me rage yesterday as I felt responsible for the wipes.

I feel ya on the rage. It's one thing if they change the way something works but completely different if they change it and not tell you. If we have to use two tank to position him thats fine, can work that out.

I would love something on the ground to show where the pylon is.

K, here is the no fail solo tank strat:

No dps until YOU call it, all dps should be on mindtraps while his shield is up:

Step 1 : Run to center of room

Step 2 : Use short cd solo taunt on him

Step 3 : Start to look for Pylons moving

Step 4 : Find Pylon and move him under it

Step 5 : Call out to Dot him

Step 6 : As shield drops use long cd aoe taunt

Step 7 : Nuke him

Step 8 : Shield up, dps back on mindtraps, repeat

I play a BH, going to roll a Trooper VG; The thing I recommend is you can constantly spam your free attack the whole time as you can do it while you are mobile; the ability for us is rapid shots, not sure for you guys. The damage from it is comparable to your sustained ability, ours is called unload, again, not sure of the VG comparison. I at first had issues with him bouncing a lil bit, afer I did it this way I never had another problem.