Gather and sell while leveling? Or craft?

Mashugana

In most MMOs I usually just take gathering professions while I level and sell everything to make money. Then later I can go back and level a crafting profession. Does this apply in SWTOR?

I usually gather while leveling because crafted items are not great in low levels and you are usually short of cash. But SWTOR might be different.

So - should I craft as I level or do it later in the game?

TYVM for any advice.

You'll make enough money while leveling to not need to gather and sell, pretty much. However, if you do pick up a tradeskill and try to level it, odds are you'll be short of cash, at least if you buy most of the recipes.

Normally, what I do is sort of walk the line between. I get a tradeskill and its main gathering skill and then pick up another skill for money making. With the tradeskill, I just make greens from the stuff I harvest, and ideally, only buy recipes good for leveling the skill with.

The other skill, I like something like Underworld Trading. The metals sell decently on the GTN, plus it can get me gifts, for affection with companions.

Edited by Battilea

Its pretty easy to keep geared without a crafting skill, but crafting is actually useful while leveling(and its really easy to keep your skills leveled). Depends on if you want to min/max a bit while leveling, and if you enjoy crafting itself. The game throws credits at you about as much as it throws gear at you, so either way really(as long as youre not wasting cash).

You could make better gear for your level than you can get from flashpoints or commendation vendors, but the time investment isnt worth it when compared to the fact that you could have just leveled up and gotten higher level gear in the same amount of time(without wasting all those credits as well).

So you definitely do not need to craft while leveling, but if you do there are useful items.