The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Beginner PVP for the Vanguard ?

LuckJack

Heya gang.....ok Taugrim's efforts (as well as some others here) are really fantastic in the realm of PVP.

But you could some of you veteran Vanguards take 5 steps back and maybe layout a solid PVP strategy for us lowbie's ?

In other words, from say lvl 10 thru 20.....what sort of Skill Tree setup should people follow if they are gearing up for a fairly standard 50/50 PVP/PVE mix ?

Also, maybe a few strategies on how you approach an enemy in a WZ ? For example, if I see some back row casters or am protecting a door Mortar Volley is an easy choice.

But what do you do when people get up in your face ? Stay mobile and run using Explosive Round and Stockstrike......or sit still and use Ion Pulse and Pulse Cannon ?

And how about going on the offense and approaching an enemy player in WZ ? I'd use Sticky Grenade and maybe Full Auto until he sees me.....then we're back to the In Your Face example above.

Your brother in arms......Confused Vanguard

Thanks so much in advance !

I would also like some clarification in this. In the vids I saw from taugrim or others, things jump from the 14 bracket up to end game. Also, I noticed in the powertech one, pvp was being played with a tactics (equivalent) build and not shield. Does that mean you work your way up to gut and then jump to shield or are you supposed to push to get storm as fast as possible.

As for advice, even at 17, being in your face and using guard with taunt helps alot. SS is beautiful along with a HIB proc. Don't gel bad about not topping damage charts. Pride yourself in getting the highest protection scores. Be aggressive and be ready to die a fair amount of times.

Heya gang.....ok Taugrim's efforts (as well as some others here) are really fantastic in the realm of PVP.

But you could some of you veteran Vanguards take 5 steps back and maybe layout a solid PVP strategy for us lowbie's ?

In other words, from say lvl 10 thru 20.....what sort of Skill Tree setup should people follow if they are gearing up for a fairly standard 50/50 PVP/PVE mix ?

Also, maybe a few strategies on how you approach an enemy in a WZ ? For example, if I see some back row casters or am protecting a door Mortar Volley is an easy choice.

But what do you do when people get up in your face ? Stay mobile and run using Explosive Round and Stockstrike......or sit still and use Ion Pulse and Pulse Cannon ?

And how about going on the offense and approaching an enemy player in WZ ? I'd use Sticky Grenade and maybe Full Auto until he sees me.....then we're back to the In Your Face example above.

Your brother in arms......Confused Vanguard

Thanks so much in advance !

Q1.In other words, from say lvl 10 thru 20.....what sort of Skill Tree setup should people follow if they are gearing up for a fairly standard 50/50 PVP/PVE mix ?

A1.Okay, from 10 to 20 its pretty hard, as your lacking a lot of the Talents needed to be most effective. But you can do it! Here is a Example DPS build for 20's: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZZfhM0z.1

You can use this in PvE until about 24-29. That is when I made the switch to Shield/Tactics.

This would require you to be able to kite very well within the 10 meter range, as the slow allows you to keep most melee-type units just out of range of their jump and just out of range for their attacks. Stockstrike would be used to keep in close with your target and just try to be a overall nuisance. Abuse your Riot Strike whenever possible when dealing with casters.

The main point in lower level Vanguard play is to be kind of a Support unit. Being the person to pass the ball to in the Endzone of Huttball. Cryo the high DPS guy on your ball carrier, or another unit. Apply damage and DoT's where you can. Just try to be as annoying as possible.

Push objectives as well. Make sure to always try and be capping something or moving a ball down the field.

Also, a lot of players will tend to ignore lower level people attacking them, this is a huge mistake, as that gives you guys the chance just to sit there and keep whittling down someones HP while their focused on something else.

If their smart though, your going to have a hard time fighting 40's bracketed characters. Just cause of the Talent's and other factors.

But some good rules are: Don't Engage full DPS builds, as they will gob-smash you into the ground and will put you on Respawn.

Try to aide your team in anyway you can, be adaptive and watch the flow of a fight. Such as if all the Imperials push mid and they leave east undefended, go cap it while their all focused on Mid. (Alderaan)

Overall you got to think a lot more in lower level PvP, as their is less tools/bonuses in your repertoire then in the higher levels.

Q2. Also, maybe a few strategies on how you approach an enemy in a WZ ? For example, if I see some back row casters or am protecting a door Mortar Volley is an easy choice.

A2. Yes, this is a oppertune moment to use Mortar Volley, especially when their all bunched together casting, or when trying to defuse/plant a bomb. Or when their trying to Cap a turret.

Use your Sticky Grenade a lot as another means to drop a good AoE on them and make them waste their time on the Turret/Bomb plant.

When I was first starting out PvP at level 11, I opened with always a Sticky Grenade > Hammershot > Hammershot > Explosive Round (If far away) or Ion Pulse > Sticky Grenade (If off Cooldown) or Ion Pulse. Mainly I would repeat this cycle over and over and over...

And I used Plasma Cell BTW. :p

Q3.But what do you do when people get up in your face ? Stay mobile and run using Explosive Round and Stockstrike......or sit still and use Ion Pulse and Pulse Cannon ?

A3. Yes, always stay mobile with the Vanguard. Standing still is not our forte'. We are designed to be in the thick of a fight, or just outside of it. You can also use Ion Pulse while moving. Stockstrike is great for annoying caster's, stay close and moving around them, using that at all times its off CD. Against Melees I would say kiting is better then staying in close...yeah...much better. Don't use Explosive Round too much, as it eats your ammo up fast and gives little for what you get taken away. Better to just keep your Ammo up, unless you have to dump shots into target's bad. And your going to die anyway...

Q4.And how about going on the offense and approaching an enemy player in WZ ? I'd use Sticky Grenade and maybe Full Auto until he sees me.....then we're back to the In Your Face example above.

A4. You basically got the playstyle down. Just change it up depending on what your fighting. If you can keep Melee's at a distance, try very hard to do that. Its a game of attrition at the lower levels. Make use of every buff/booster you can find in WZ's...A LOT. Sticky grenade is your best friend in all situations. Stockstrike as well. Explosive Round is still not as important as Ion Pulse.

I'm not PvP guru/master or anything, just these are my experiences, and I hope they help you.

Edited by VragonBral

That was some great feedback - thanks so much for taking the time ! I was just testing some of those thoughts on a few WZ's and they really help. Your point on playing the support role for a few levels is sound advice and I'll give that a go.

Thanks again !

VragonBral gave some great tactics advice. It'll serve you well.

Here are my basic observations from a guy who had never played an MMo before this one. (currently Lvl34)

1) PVP is a great way to level your character. I started at Lvl14 and it made PVE easier. Plus you get lots of credits and comms to buy better armor etc.. even if you lose and get your arse handed to you.

2) Get organge gear ASAP and update the mods every couple levels.

3) You will die a lot. Don't get frustrated. Just get back up and go back in. Look at it as an opportunity to test out your rotations/skills/etc...

4) Vangaurd is not a melee character. It's best as a midrange fighter. Took me awhile to get it through my head I couldn't go toe to toe with alot of players at close range.

5) Ask questions. There will be some who liek to pick on noobs as an excuse for losing. But there are usually more players who are more than willing to give you advice in a WZ, or just after. Most people won't type much in the middle of a WZ.

6) DO whatever it takes to not get caught on your own. If you can pair with someone, or just stay near another player or 2 you can do alot of good stuff in support. Get Gaurd skill when you can and use it. It gets you points in WZ's.

And as a side note remember it could be worse when I started PVP they hadn't yet bracketed out Lvl 50's into their own WZ's... :)

But more importantly as I said before don't get frustrated. Alot of the players in WZ's have been doing this for years over several differebt games. However, this makes them the best people to learn from by going up against them.

Little list of things I'd wished I'd known starting PvP in general:

1000 WZ comm cap means you need to spend them or you lose anything you win above that 1000 mark

Buy PvP gear with WZ comm at lvl 20 and 40; also some decent blasters with a tiny bit of expertise available at 42 and 46, but you'll quickly outgrow them with better mods.

It's important to look at every slot on your gear and make sure you aren't wearing a Ronald McDonald helmet you picked up 8 levels ago.

Get lightside/darkside points and go spend some creds on the relics from the LS/DS vendor. See also: look at every slot on your gear :D Hit the auction and pick up some really nice stuff for not very many creds. Don't forget to look ~3 levels above you.

I hit 15 on my Vanguard last night, have probably done 1-1.5 levels PvE since 10.

Recommend running flashpoints for the moddable gear/wep drop early if you can stand it. I did Eseless with another DPS'er at 13 last night with no heals. Picked up a blaster, chest, and one more piece if I remember right (lvl 12 equivalents), as well as picking up a level between the FP and the Daily board.

Tab targeting is your very good friend in this class. Focus on the objective first, but then start tabbing looking for low health targets. Finish them off! You'll rack up the kills and leave the other team with that many fewer fighters.

Stay a bit back, unless you are, say, guarding a door in Voidstar. Make the melee's come to you to engage, and work them over as they're getting there.

Now tab around some more. Someone has to be getting low... :D

I'm finding it's a blast playing in WZ on my Vanguard.

I would also like some clarification in this. In the vids I saw from taugrim or others, things jump from the 14 bracket up to end game.

Hmm, you missed several videos along the way.

20 Powertech (mirror to Vanguard - same mechanics, just different skins):

Using ranged pulls in PVP:

I also recorded many dozens of real-time narrated streams with various specs. If you haven't checked them out, they might be helpful:

http://www.twitch.tv/taugrim/videos

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

I also recorded many dozens of real-time narrated streams with various specs. If you haven't checked them out, they might be helpful:

Thanks Taugrim, I guess I did miss those. I believe I saw your lvl 20 powertech one though. As always, great tips here on the forums. Lots of vanguard love out there. Keep up the good work all of you.

I'll vouch for these vids, they are fantastic....!