The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Threat

TheThrace

I have been tanking ever since leveling into HM's and Ops and I also was MT for a pretty hardcore raiding guild on RIFT for 9 months so I understand how threat works. However in this game I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if its just the way this game works.

Take for instance mobs in EV. Those giant floating robot things. The other night it seemed I could only hold maybe one or 2 at a time. The others just roam around and stick to high threat gen dps. Same thing happens with those lava monster things, I keep aoeing them and Sonic missile but as soon as that 3 secs is up a bunch of them break off and attack non-tanks.

I usually pull with death from above if the mobs are packed together and then I will spam tab thru and use rapid shots to keep the attention of the stragglers, once I get them in a clump I will use flamesweep once or twice and then sonic missile to assure I have them. And from there I just use flamethrower, flameburst, rocket punch and flamesweep when I have the heat capacity. Even when tanking bosses I feel I need to keep throwing taunts into my rotation to assure no one pulls off.

This also happens in HM FPs, i usually only bother tanking the elite mobs and let dps pick off the weak ones quickly unless they are all close enough but it seems dps can pull off me at will... well certain DPS.

Is my rotation bad? Is it just my gear? I have done alot of ops and HMs but I just havent had much luck so I am still not full columi but I do have a nice weapon.

Anyways just wondering if any other tanks have this issue and if its just the way mobs/threat work in this game or if its something I am doing wrong, and if so some tips to generate better threat. Btw I have been running Parakeet for PVE tanking lately cuz I seem to have better threat than a higher ST and a lil AP build.

TL:DR - Do packs of mobs seem tough to hold in this game and do certain DPS seem to be able to pull at will? Is it just the way the threat works in this game or I am just doing something wrong?

As tank, stick to the strongest targets, and try to taunt the adds off dps if the healers are struggling. You're going to have too much trouble holding on to everything at once. Haven't met anyone who could keep an entire group under control yet.

And yes, dps can pull off you pretty much whenever they want, if they're decently geared and know what they're doing, when talking groups. Sometimes even on bosses if they get in some decent burst/procs (or go ******* from the first second, but that doesn't really count).

Yeah, and that is basically what I do. The annoying thing is how DPS and even healers seem to not understand that, and they ***** about you keeping threat and especially in an OP everyone that hears or sees them calling you out just assumes you are a bad whether they know whats going on or how the game works or not. Only reason I care is I wanna be invited on more ops and don't want people to think I can't keep threat eventhough thats just how the game works.

Does anyone else run into this? I always hold the champion and elite mobs at all costs but when ppl ***** cuz I week mob is hitting them it gets really annoying... especially when the op leader only wanted one tank for more DPS... its like they dont get a tank can only hold so much... this isnt like RIFT where u can spam and aoe or 2 and go afk and still have threat.

I am experiencing the same thing on my bounty hunter. I am in a mix of columni and rakkata gear. Most of my DPS and heals are in full columni with some rakkata as well and tanking has become a real pain in the ***. I think the problem is we just don't get as much bonus dmg from our gear as the DPS do. If a dps does over 1.5 times our dmg without gaurd they will get threat, to my knowledge non of our attacks generate extra hate. To make matters worse the threat drop abilities other classes have right now do near nothing.

My guildies are spoiled by tanking in WoW where we had target of target and a lot more threat generation. I wish they would add a mechanic where some of our absorption would boost hate or threat on our attacks. They should at least make heat blast a very high skill. The threat became no issue at all though on boss mobs after i went with a carolina parakeet build and now my dps can go all out in HM EV without pulling. I would much rather stack defensive mods and talents but beating enrage timers and keeping dps alive is a must.

I feel yah and have gotten so pissed off to having to deal with dps going all out on trash and making my job a pain in the *** that I don't bother helping people with dungeon heroic runs as much anymore, now they get a pug tank and cry in guild chat about them not holding threat.