An Ilum center point stalkers findings in regard to PvP gear and skill.

MrVulture

After witnessing the raging battle about gear vs skill I thought I would take a moment to contribute my findings on Ilum based PvP and PvP in general. As a mostly champion geared (two centurion pieces) Jedi shadow on a primarily imperial dominated server it can go with out saying that I have had no lack of targets over my past month of PvP out there.

As many of you already know Ilum in it's current configuration caters to the faction with the majority population. The center point which contains the quest resources normally consists of the majority faction circling waiting for resource re-spawn. Often ungrouped and uncoordinated they circle waiting for either the sound of the "pop" and the crate to re-spawn or the random enemy to come wondering through. Needless to say that while trying to swipe him self a couple of armaments the random enemy is generally mobbed and killed by the circling faction as soon as he shows up. These conditions are what I have normally come to expect when I head out to Ilum and it is also where I have created my niche.

Now it has to be said that as a Shadow/Assassin the terms of engagement are generally up to me. This provides me with a luxury that many of you don't have and all I have to say to you is I'm sorry but you need to come out in properly formed groups or as a giant lynch mob before you attempt to take center. There should be no mechanic (such as bolster) or possibility that would enable you as an individual to ride up and heroically take the hill against a more numerous opponent. Real world PvP in MMOs is inherently unbalanced in most if not all situations, get used to it.

I have most definitely seen this when it comes down to where my opportune 1v1 gank turns into a 2v1 fight for my survival. My full set of PvP gear and my years of experience at MMOs gives me an advantage over my lesser geared opponent in a 1v1 but as soon as the second opponent joins the fight that advantage disappears instantly and my chances of surviving the encounter as well as achieving my gank drop dramatically. I'm not saying that it is impossible to take on two people and win but it is highly unlikely that alone one will succeed. Thanks to vanish thought I am able to make a quick escape to gank another day.

You can sit there and crunch numbers and compute percentages of damage outputs between geared and non geared people on a table but in the end it doesn't matter once the second player joins the fight. This is an MMO, a massively MULTI-PLAYER online game. A coordinated group of people with the right composition can easily destroy a group the same size and even challenge and defeat a bigger group. The most effective groups on Ilum are the four to six man coordinated teams that sweep through the middle and clear out the individuals.

Gear and skill are non issues. This "problem" doesn't need a patch to fix it. All one has to do is be a little extroverted and TALK to others, form a guild, or as it is more commonly known a team (You know that group of people that work together to accomplish a set goal.) and experience the fun of effective coordinated combat the way this game is meant to be played.

TLDR: Friends and coordination > individual gear and skill. Ilum proves that.

Edited by MrVulture

See my thread about awarding more points for getting kills in Illum PvP than what are awarded armaments... it would open up the entire field on Illum and make getting more fun and interesting kills a priority over farming armament nodes in the Center.

See my thread about awarding more points for getting kills in Illum PvP than what are awarded armaments... it would open up the entire field on Illum and make getting more fun and interesting kills a priority over farming armament nodes in the Center.

Wouldn't that promote the original problem that happened with the farming of people? Not to mention also promote more kill trading. If it were me I'd have armaments at the other points as well. Spread the love around and allow for small groups to prevail instead of mob warfare over one point.

so u play ar OP class Jedi shadow - com back wen u play a normal class

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well."

"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?… Has it ever occurred to your, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?…The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact, there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."

Georges Orwell - 1984

Wouldn't that promote the original problem that happened with the farming of people? Not to mention also promote more kill trading. If it were me I'd have armaments at the other points as well. Spread the love around and allow for small groups to prevail instead of mob warfare over one point.

Not a bad idea... the problem of Center being so dominated by one majority is the issue... spreading the love around would be a good viable solution. So would upping the credit for kills. Either works in my opinion. The main issue is fixing the problem of having all the nodes in the Center and them being dominated by a majority.

Implemented safeguards to address a Valor exploit. (hoping this means something about that stupid kill trading

You know the easiest way to be preventive against kill trading is to not allow us to communicate cross faction on Ilum. My smack talking would suffer but i think it would achieve their goals.