George Lucas is trolling the hell out of us

rdc_thirty

I love Plinkett's review and I was thinking someone needed to post a link as I was reading this thread.

Lazy link to the time you said:

I saw the original Star Wars trilogy as a really little kid and was too young to appreciate it, I think. I didn't really see what was great about it.

Then I saw the prequels in theaters as they came out starting when I was 10. Honestly, the only thing I really remembered about the movies until I saw Plinkett's review recently was being extremely bored. Even the fight scenes were boring because I didn't know who any of the characters were or why they were fighting. Plinkett does a good job of explaining why I felt that way, I think.

People will argue like mad, but good story telling contains certain non-negotiable elements that you have you have in there. Otherwise, it just doesn't resonate with humans. Plinkett is good at pointing these elements out.

Edited by JustTed

Yeah, I'm part of the younger generation. I watched the old trilogy at home and loved it from the age 4 and beyond, played all the games throughout childhood and teenagehood and so on(which is what leads me here of course.), I watched The Phantom Menace when I was 11. I saw a decent preview in a movie theatre last Sunday and it gave me a happy nostalgic feeling of going to the theatre when I was a little child. Definitely convinced me to go watch it again and it didn't have anything to do with the gosh darn overrated 3d. I would like to say that even at age eleven I did not care much for Jar Jar, or Anakin's antics, I see it as Obi-wan and Qui-gon's movie. And it's not so bad, clearly the weakest of all of them though.

Thats EXACTLY how many of the OT fans feel about Star Wars too, when it was re released in 1997 as a special edition. Very much mostly down to nostalgia I think.