Star Wars Novels: What is the order?

Ceonnyn

What is the order of the Star Wars novels/do some absolutely suck/not worth reading?

Thanks!

:)

Open the front cover of any star wars book and flip the the timeline, it'll place the books in chronological order from Old republic to 137 years after A New Hope.

Or, you can click wookieepedia's handy timeline page.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

many of the books are geared toward young adult readers, but any star wars fan should be able to appreciate the stories.

I just finished the New Jedi Order series, overall there was really only a handful of outstanding books and a few crappy filler novels. But the arc that covers the saga is interesting enough.

the ones that followed, the dark nest trilogy and the Legacy of the Force series are interesting, They focus on the fall of Jacen solo from paragon of light to specter of darkness and how the Solo/Skywalker clan react and sets the tone for the next series Fate of the Jedi.

For the lore alone, and some epic moments, I'd recommend picking up the entire new jedi order series. Like I said, lots of fluff before you get to the awesome jedi meaty core, but it's such a huge story that completely turns the galaxy on it's head and gives a whole new dastardly enemy to fight.

I have not read any of the fate of the jedi series, but I'm interested in Luke Son, Ben, and his adventures because he reminds me a little of Anakin Solo, who IMO has an epic story in New Jedi Order series.

I recently read the Old republic book Revan as well. I found the overall writing to be kinda blah, but the story and how it ties into the game is worth the read IMO.

The only books I can't really recommend are most by Karen Traviss.

She has a mega hard on for Mandalorians, she's also very anti-jedi and writes them as seeing themselves superior and and goody twoshoe do-gooders who are placed on an artificial platform due to their genetic lottery to wield the force.

Maybe her view on jedi are right, god knows Luke has been elevated to legendary status by now and the MOST powerful jedi to ever live and one, if not THE most influencal figure in the entire history of the galaxy.

But her continued love affair with Boba Fett and the mando's as a culture gets a little boring after a while and her writing of Boba and still whining about his daddies death decades, nearly 3/4 of a century later just... I donno, made Boba less of an epic death dealer and mercenary and made him a whiny old fart.

While I applaud her inclusion of the first openly gay couple in star wars, who are Mando's no less, she seems to hate the star wars franchise and her books just come off bad imo.

I should also add, a fantastic starting place for any newbie reader who hasn't read much star wars should start with the Thrawn Trilogy, by Timothy Zhan.

it takes place about 10 years after Return of the Jedi with a fledgling New Republic and introduces the ever awesome Mara Jade to the franchise.

the only down side to Zhan's books, he's an intelligent man, and it comes across in his writing and his logic is normally pretty sounds, but because he's so intelligent, that intelligence rubs off on the characters he writes, so you may find Luke, or Han doing something that seems a little bit out of character. but otherwise it's a solid starting point and for many the expanded universe starts with the Thrawn Trilogy.

Shatterpoint is amazing, you don't really need to read anything other than watch Ep. 2 ending. btw.

But like the poster above said, the Wookieepedia timeline is the perfect online timeline there is. Also, if you go to the library or Book store, you can always check on of the first pages any SW Book. They have the timeline on there.