For PVP: Powertech vs Mercenary

dexterryu

Hey guys...

First this is not a which is better than the other question. Basically here is my story.... I've got a Consular Sage (heal spec) that I raid with and just hit Battlemaster with and I'm going to start and Empire alt.

I'm primarily looking to PVP with this toon as my raiding guild is republic. Also, since may main is a healer I'm looking for something that does good DPS, and has quite a bit of utility (CC, knockbacks, pulls)

So if you guys don't mind could someone go over the advantages & disadvantages of both AC's DPS options for PVP?

Much appreciated.

I personally use Powertech, but judging from all the hate I see on the forums, I'd roll Mercenary if I were you. Tracer Missile is the ****. As for Powertech, you can either roll a tank and just soak up everything or roll Pyrotech and get constant Rail Shots and DoTs. Never had much luck with AP.

I personally use Powertech, but judging from all the hate I see on the forums, I'd roll Mercenary if I were you. Tracer Missile is the ****. As for Powertech, you can either roll a tank and just soak up everything or roll Pyrotech and get constant Rail Shots and DoTs. Never had much luck with AP.

Well, I don't want a 1 button class. Mainly I'm looking for utility stuff like knockbacks, pulls, and CC.

i think it boils down to which hybrid role would you be more interested in taking? Having tried out both before picking here's what i gathered.

Mercenaries can heal and a healer is the unsung hero of warzones. One of the biggest shortcomings of mercenaries in general in pvp is their standing casts with arsenal or bodyguard. They are more prone to interrupts and while their pyro tree does eliminate some of it, the powertech pyrotech is still more mobile and in my opinion better in pvp due to the options you have to control others with. However if you pair yourself with a friend you can rely on that can help peel for you, this can patch up your sole downfall and allow you to demolish enemy lines with missiles and what not.

Powertechs are melee with ranged capabilities and mostly instant abilities. The pyrotech tree is their preferred dps tree for pvp. Their tank tree offers a different way to support for your team via damage reduction through taunts/guard and is also arguably the most mobile bh. Keep in mind that taunts can be used in any cylinder or stance while guard can only be used in the tank stance. Lastly, powertechs in pvp have a much easier time scoring medals tanking or not due to taunts. They're also able to shut down other people easier with access to a kick, shared stun with mercenary, and a PBAoE stun Carbonize.

Tldr: Can't go wrong cause overall the bh/trooper archetypes are op.

Mercenary: Range nuker/healer

powertech: Melee-mid range skirmisher/tank

From a similar thread..

Edited by Rykke

I play a Merc BH and have owned and gotten owned by Sorc's/Assassins. If you take out the gear disparity it really comes down to the player behind the toon. Reaction times, knowing when to use what skill. BH's have a lot of tools at their disposal, especially Powertechs from what I've heard.

Also, I wouldn't look at 1v1 situations too much. IMO this is a very team-oriented game. Like somebody earlier posted, figure out what secondary role you may want to fill (tanking or heals? Sustained DPS or burst?) and let that help you make the decision. Either way it's a really fun class, I think you'll enjoy. Good luck :)

Burst is something most classes are capable of, they just have to spec into it. Both classes are more than capable of destructive burst provided they spec for it. It's the flavor in how you do it that differentiates them. You can't just pick by saying I want "burst" alone.

Which of the two is best for run & gun?

Thanks

Mercenary pyrotech, it is the only tree for mercenary that allows dps on the move, and has some talent that allows you to kite (even if it isn´t perfect, it does the job). It also has plenty of running from melees while you shoot at them.

Which of the two is best for run & gun?

Thanks

Of the two Merc AC's? Pyro all the way no contest. I leveled as an Arsenal, and switched when I hit 50 to Pryo. I will never go back to Arsenal unless they nerf pyro's for some reason.

For PT I am not 100% I think they are all fairly mobile. One thing I can say about Pyro Mercs is don't listen to the BS about the DPS they do a $#@$ of it. While leveling you may want to go Arsenal though honestly Pyro gets good only when you get the top level skills.

Of the two Merc AC's? Pyro all the way no contest. I leveled as an Arsenal, and switched when I hit 50 to Pryo. I will never go back to Arsenal unless they nerf pyro's for some reason.

For PT I am not 100% I think they are all fairly mobile. One thing I can say about Pyro Mercs is don't listen to the BS about the DPS they do a $#@$ of it. While leveling you may want to go Arsenal though honestly Pyro gets good only when you get the top level skills.

So either AC is good but go Pyro?

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire

Mercenary pyrotech, it is the only tree for mercenary that allows dps on the move, and has some talent that allows you to kite (even if it isn´t perfect, it does the job). It also has plenty of running from melees while you shoot at them.

'Swealtering Heat' When your CGC hits 16% of the time 100% of the time this will slow movement by 50% for 2secs. That 16% seems low, but its on hit so it goes off quit a lot.

I read burst is better for PvP so is that Mercenary?

Thanks

I play a BH Merc. I have gone up the all 3 skill trees to try it out. healing is cool if you can stomach it.

Arsenal is good dps if you play it correctly. Sometimes tracer spaming can work against you and youll end up dying more than dps'ing.

I like the pyrotech skill tree right now. You can do great dps, and most of the skills allow you to stay mobile, which is a huge advantage. However your DPS is lacking a bit until you get your full champ set at least.

But right now i enjoy the pyrotech tree for bounty hunter merc. Give it a shot.

I play a BH Merc. I have gone up the all 3 skill trees to try it out. healing is cool if you can stomach it.

Arsenal is good dps if you play it correctly. Sometimes tracer spaming can work against you and youll end up dying more than dps'ing.

I like the pyrotech skill tree right now. You can do great dps, and most of the skills allow you to stay mobile, which is a huge advantage. However your DPS is lacking a bit until you get your full champ set at least.

But right now i enjoy the pyrotech tree for bounty hunter merc. Give it a shot.

Is it better to spec Pyro right away or go up a different tree for levelling and respec to pyro?

What tree would you advise for levelling if I should respec later?

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire

It boils down to the class specific skills and talents you get from it. From the choice of the AC you also determine if you want to be more of a ranged nuker or a close-mid range skirmisher.

The Mercenary uses Unload and Powershot to proc Rail Shots while the Powertech uses Flame Burst and Rocket Punch. The powertech also has an easier time applying a DoT as Flame Burst becomes an on-demand DoT in Pyrotech.

Powertechs arguably has better synergy with the Pyrotech tree due to the amount of control the it has. Between Grapple, Carbonize, Quell, and Electro Dart (shared), the powertech has it easy to shut down and burst anyone. Tier 1 Advance Prototype talents also increases the armor penetration of rail shot by 60% making the the main burst move of the tree all the more threatening.

Edited by Rykke

It boils down to the class specific skills and talents you get from it. From the choice of the AC you also determine if you want to be more of a ranged nuker or a close-mid range skirmisher.

The Mercenary uses Unload and Powershot to proc Rail Shots while the Powertech uses Flame Burst and Rocket Punch. The powertech also has an easier time applying a DoT as Flame Burst becomes an on-demand DoT in Pyrotech.

Powertechs arguably has better synergy with the Pyrotech tree due to the amount of control the it has. Between Grapple, Carbonize, Quell, and Electro Dart (shared), the powertech has it easy to shut down and burst anyone. Tier 1 Advance Prototype talents also increases the armor penetration of rail shot by 60% making the the main burst move of the tree all the more threatening.

I'm often a tank or DPS so do you recommend "Iron Fist", "Carolina Parakeet" or Full DPS for both levelling and PvP?

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire

Leveling as a Powertech, Shield Tech is king until ~30s. That's when the DPS specs start to catch up. You can spec into a variation of the Iron Fist build at around ~40 with enough points to get Jet Charge and several points into Adv. Prototype for Retractable Blade.

To really get the ball going on the ST/Pyro, you want to wait until 48 as it is the earliest you'll be able to grab both Prototype Particle Accelerator in the Pyro tree and Jet Charge in the shield tree. Still though leveling is leveling, anything works.