The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Crew Skills

Talon_Starfire

I went with Biochem, Bioanalysis and Slicing (and I picked all of these skills before I started reading about everyone saying how Biochem is "the only skill worth having" blah blah blah). Works pretty well. I find that I usually get sufficient gear to keep myself well supplied (although Mako is sometimes lacking) so that I don't need an armor/weapon crafting skill. However, I do love having reusable med packs/stims/adrenals. Sure, I could buy them, but never running out is just so convenient!

As for slicing, I know people complained about the nerf... sure, I don't make terribly much from each run in terms of credits that get returned to me. I'll give everyone that. What makes money, however, are the blue and purple missions that you get. I've sold missions for 50k+. Maybe once I hit max level and make credits by doing dailies or whatever I'll retrain this, but for leveling its kept me well supplied with money.

I've been really happy leveling as cybertech/scavenging/slicing. I have mostly orange gear (head, chest, legs, hands, feet, and weapons when I can) for myself, Mako, Torian, and Blizz (he's just too cute to not use) and have several pieces put aside for Skadge when I get him.

Generally I'll use my commendations to buy myself and Mako new barrels and if I need enhancements (my husband is an artificer). Then, I make myself all the armor and mods that I need, as well as earpieces.

Still making a tidy profit from slicing, just buy selling the crafting missions I get. Those are really the main source of my income. I probably could sell ship or droid parts or even earpieces, but have been content and never lacking without.

Honestly, it's up to you. You can take pure gathering missions just to make money (slicing/UWT/bioanalysis are the big three right now) or pretty much anything besides sythweaving. End game right now it's pretty much just biochem, with the resusable stims and adrenals. Cybertech comes in a distant second, with the resuable grenades, and everything else is pretty much worthless at end game (again, right now).

If you're going to hit the cap quickly and start raiding, go biochem (especially if you're a min/maxer). Otherwise, whatever tickles your fancy will work.

Edited by Faydra

I went with Cybertech, Scavenging, and Slicing then switched out Scavenging after hitting level 50 to try some other stuff before landing on Underworld Trading. Looking back Biochem or Armormech and their related skills would have probably been more useful while leveling and certainly look like what our companions are optimized for, but I couldn't pass up making my own ship upgrades and speeders (and the first speeder is fugly) at the time.

I went cybertech myself, mako has +5 efficiency at it, and since you'll be mostly in orange armor from level 20 onwards, there's no real reason not to. The fact that most barrel mods you need you can get from equipment commendation vendors rules out levelling armstech imho anyways.

I guess it depends on what you want. Looking to sell stuff? UWT will make you some good $$ when you get to the end level items. Armormech, you can make you n your companions some good gear, however selling it is a crapshoot. You will need scavenge for armormech. Cheers!