The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Cycler Worthless in PVP?

SuperValkryie

This may one of the most over rated skills for PVP in IMO. I always see it in so many builds with one point have it and can never understand why. It only procs when you shield a attack, and then will only have a 25% with one point. Am i just reading it wrong? Someone please explain it to me.

It only needs to proc once every six seconds. It will trigger very reliably vs most classes except sorcerers and operatives.

Those are relatively the most common classes seen in Warzones as well. Sith Warriors and Bounty Hunters (With the exception of Mercs) are still underpopulated in comparison to Sorcerers and Operatives.

Edited by VragonBral

Shield Cycler is guaranteed ammo in combat. It's the single best ammo replenishing skill we have as long as you're running Ion Cell (which, no matter what build you spec, you should be running).

With the the base 25% chance to shield you'll be proccing it like mad.

Shield Cycler is guaranteed ammo in combat. It's the single best ammo replenishing skill we have as long as you're running Ion Cell (which, no matter what build you spec, you should be running).

With the the base 25% chance to shield you'll be proccing it like mad.

But you have to see the fact that most of the attacks you will be getting in PvP makes it rather a hit-or-miss situation. Your not guaranteed that Ammo when you most need it. As many attacks still these day's, are un-shieldable. Sure, it has it's uses every so often. But it won't be something to rely on constantly.

Your not guaranteed that Ammo when you most need it.

Obviously.

If you're just a burster whom blows his entire wad right away then, yeah, you're not going to get much out of Shield Cycler. If you pace yourself and actually look for the appropriate opportunities to burst the talent works wonders during the pacing allowing basically an extra special attack every 12s.

All default attacks can be shielded and the only class that can get away without ever using its default attack is sorc so it's really not that bad.

Between Shield Cycler and Parallactic Combat Stims you're going to have a banana-load of ammo pretty much all of the time.

Edited by Cavadus

I run this skill, and actually choose to put 2 points in it for a 50% chance, and I pass on smoke grenade to do so.

When I need ammo the most is when I am in the thick of things trying to prevent a cap in a WZ or have jumped in to disrupt the front line of a zerg-ball on Ilum.

In the WZ situation, I can almost count on some lightsaber maniac chasing me around the fight, and in the Ilum situation I will be the most-likely target on the "next target" button for ranged players tab-spamming their default attack in the "tag for valor" system we current have out there.

In both cases, I get free ammo for doing nothing. I like free ammo.

In a less frantic situation, that little bit of ammo regen can mean the difference in regen rate as well, thereby further increasing the ammo gain due to our tier regen rate mechanics.

I am a fan of this ability for most specs that are primarily shield. I looked to see what I could get in my shield/tactics build for those 2 points, and really i can either get 3% endurance or "run faster with HE cell"... id rather have ammo, especially since I run ion cell with a 5% damage set bonus for guard.

Obviously.

If you're just a burster whom blows his entire wad right away then, yeah, you're not going to get much out of Shield Cycler. If you pace yourself and actually look for the appropriate opportunities to burst the talent works wonders during the pacing allowing basically an extra special attack every 12s.

All default attacks can be shielded and the only class that can get away without ever using its default attack is sorc so it's really not that bad.

Between Shield Cycler and Parallactic Combat Stims you're going to have a banana-load of ammo pretty much all of the time.

We just have two very different points of view on this Cavadus.

I don't use it, as I see its more important to have those talent points elsewhere (And the extra Ammo doesn't come in handy for me.).

It's coming down to preference for the both of us. As your right, some classes still right-click or tap 1 to fill in their rotation until cooldowns are off. But your chances of the Proc, are like I said, hit-or-miss. You got to get a lot of Shield Rating to minimize the likelyhood of it not working.

25% flat chance means only 1 out of 4 rotations -Maybe- will make your shield proc'. Then its a 25-50%(Depending on how many points you have in it, 2 Max) chance it gives you 1 Ammo.

If they only made Shields affect all kinds of damage, I would be right with you on this, to get Shield Cycler. As it would be a almost consistent flow of ammunition. Especially during focus fire. (I don't know why they have Shield Rating/Absorbtion on PvP gear when most of what damage you take is not Mitigated by it.)

For you and I both, I think Bioware needs to get their Shield proc's in alignment with the large amount of damage out there. Then there won't be this kind of discussion popping up everywhere.

I think why I have a tendency to not use it is because of the statistical probability of it activating.

Much of this stems from the damage mitigation discussion and PVP related to our shield. Due to that super long thread and I have dropped all additional points out of shield boosting and put them into pure damage mitigation skills such as ion shield and power armor.

-> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=155034

When you take into account all attacks during a match, then focus on the ones that do only white damage, you'll have a 40-50% chance on activation (I''m running full combat tech, so I'm not sure what a person is supercommando would be getting) of just your shield, then with only 1 point that's only 25% on just the activation alone?

According to that super thread, 10% of all attacks would be weapon damage (I'm assuming that's a low estimate). So based on that: 25% activation on 50% of shield attacks that would make up only 10% in the whole game? Yikes!

Thanks for all your guys input thus far, good discussion.

Actually for any specs that has elements of Shield spec in it an uses Ion Cell I think Shield Cycler's advantage, while good, is not absolutely necessary.

Elements of shields spec are mostly so ammo efficient anyways that when I was specced in it for a while in the past I rarely find any problem with running out of ammo.

It is assault spec and plasma cell users that normally have ammo consumption problems.

Edited by aRtFuL

Actually for any specs that has elements of Shield spec in it an uses Ion Cell I think Shield Cycler's advantage, while good, is not absolutely necessary.

Elements of shields spec are mostly so ammo efficient anyways that when I was specced in it for a while in the past I rarely find any problem with running out of ammo.

It is assault spec and plasma cell users that normally have ammo consumption problems.

CAUSE WE WANT TO KILL EVERYTHING! UAAAAGHHHG! *Eye twitch, jerky motions. Plays with Matches*