The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need Help W/ Powertech in PvP Please!

Aegis-Fang

Ive heard powertechs are tough, I have a lvl 21 pt with all pts into pyro but I cant seem to do any damage at all. Ill try stun/railshot an then empty load an barely do a dent in my target.

Can anyone give me any tips for what I should use as far as any kind of general rotation? Im fairly lost an getting discouraged lol. If any ranged class gets on me like a trooper Im toast, or even another BH.

I know its all my fault, just need some pointers as to what generally is effective in pvp. Railshot seems to hit decent but has a long cooldown. Empty load is kinda meh right now. Barring any in depth kiting tips an stuff like that Id just like to know what most PT's use for general damage while on the move. Any help would be appreciated cause right now I suck hard lol.

Isnt the range on rocket punch fairly close? I always try to keep some distance from my target/enemies. Is that wrong?

I normally use the stun then railshot then empty the clip. Damage is horrible for me. With railshot on a big cd is that all you use bud?

as a powertech you want to be close. Like, within 10 - 4 meters close. Powertech is a primarily melee spec, don't let incendiary missile fool you.

Use the Combustable Gas cylinder, as it will open up rail shot whenever you flame burst (look at your talents, it gives one ability a 100% chance to apply CGC, therefor opening up rail shot for you without the stun). Also, the talent iron fist makes rocket punch do 8% more damage. use rocket punch whenever it comes off CD.

If you want a ranged class, reroll and try the mercenary advanced class. Powertech is all about getting in close and getting your hands dirty.

for abilities you want to use as a powertech:

Explosive Dart

Flame Burst (spammable, use quite a bit)

Death from Above (when there's about 3 enemies)

Incendiary Missile (pyro)

Retrectable Blade (Advanced Prototype)

Rocket Punch (whenever possible)

Rail Shot (whenever possible)

Also, if you wanna roll with the Ion Gas Cylinder, put up Guard on a melee class for an easy 3 medals and stay close to that player.

Edited by jedistreen

You are medium to close range fighter so you should be just in range for rocket punch. Most of your pvp time you will spend almost in melee range. Also 3 words - prototype particle accelerator. That is the killer in pvp! With some crit/surge on your gear you will me a murderer. Sometimes it even allows to win fights 2v1 if you get lucky with crits/procs. Overall powertech pyrotech seems to me very powerful and I enjoy the class a lot thanks to mobility and endurance. Almost all your skills in pvp are instants so you can run around all the time.

as a powertech you want to be close. Like, within 10 - 4 meters close. Powertech is a primarily melee spec, don't let incendiary missile fool you.

Use the Combustable Gas cylinder, as it will open up rail shot whenever you flame burst (look at your talents, it gives one ability a 100% chance to apply CGC, therefor opening up rail shot for you without the stun). Also, the talent iron fist makes rocket punch do 8% more damage. use rocket punch whenever it comes off CD.

If you want a ranged class, reroll and try the mercenary advanced class. Powertech is all about getting in close and getting your hands dirty.

for abilities you want to use as a powertech:

Explosive Dart

Flame Burst (spammable, use quite a bit)

Death from Above (when there's about 3 enemies)

Incendiary Missile (pyro)

Retrectable Blade (Advanced Prototype)

Rocket Punch (whenever possible)

Rail Shot (whenever possible)

Also, if you wanna roll with the Ion Gas Cylinder, put up Guard on a melee class for an easy 3 medals and stay close to that player.

wow those are excellent tips guys an thank you! Guess I was wasting my time using Empty Load or Clip or whatever it is called lol.

With some decent gear at level 50 you can indeed be a killer if playing smart... pop shield, trinket, and surge adrenal, and you are quite invincible but still able to dish out very nice damage with crit rocket punches and rail shots. You can easily win an 1v2 if you opponents aren't too geared and do not chain stun you. You can burn down at least one of them in a matter of seconds.

Isnt the range on rocket punch fairly close? I always try to keep some distance from my target/enemies. Is that wrong?

I normally use the stun then railshot then empty the clip. Damage is horrible for me. With railshot on a big cd is that all you use bud?

Stay close. When you get Prototype Particle Accelerator, you'll really notice this spec become awesome, and you'll realize how important Rocket Punch becomes. You'll want to keep it on cooldown whenever possible.