The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

High DPS Tank

Dustinrockwell

I've been looking into being a High DPS Tank and would like some constructive critizism before I spend time respeccing. These are a couple variations I've been looking at.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::f2e5fe4fefefefe3fe4f10e2f18:

and

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::f2e5fe3f2efef3e3fe4f2ef3ef3e2f18:

I also wanted to see about getting "Heavy Stock" in there somewhere from the Assualt tree.

Why would I want to be a High DPS Tank? Cause I think its fun.

Please no Trolls.

Thanks.

You can't get high dps and tank in the same build.

Not trolling, just speaking truth..

Can you do some dps? Sure. High means equal to dps classes, then no.

You might creep closer but you give up the tank part of your build.

You can't get high dps and tank in the same build.

Not trolling, just speaking truth..

Can you do some dps? Sure. High means equal to dps classes, then no.

You might creep closer but you give up the tank part of your build.

I'm not talking about high as in comparable to DPS spec classes, I mean high for a tank. Sorry, I thought that would have been understood. :cool:

Edited by Dustinrockwell

I am interested in this too.

I am an OT and am trying to build something I can put out some damage as required.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRGbboroMZMcrMoMZb.1

I tried that last night in Kraggas palace, with some DPS gear attached (Enough to get my stockstrike crits above 2.1k) and switching to High energy cell when I didnt need to tank anything. Atleast that was my plan.

What I found was while I took more damage than our MT it wasnt unmanagable for our healers. I rarely got to switch to High Energy cell as I invariably ended up off tanking something each fight, but when I did the regen certainly helped my damage output.

When I had to dps in Ioncell I had resource problems because of the lack of EB and i wasn't getting hit so my shield cycler wasnt ticking.

Anyway if people have ideas on a way to go. DPS spec, tank gear? Tank spec Dps gear? etc.

I am leaning toward tank spec in dps gear because of where the mitigation talents sit in shield spec. Its hard to increase your damage without going deeper into tactics and assault and generally taking 2 or 3 points out of ss and into tactics or assault wont increase damage.

I tried that last night in Kraggas palace, with some DPS gear attached (Enough to get my stockstrike crits above 2.1k) and switching to High energy cell when I didnt need to tank anything. Atleast that was my plan.

What I found was while I took more damage than our MT it wasnt unmanagable for our healers. I rarely got to switch to High Energy cell as I invariably ended up off tanking something each fight, but when I did the regen certainly helped my damage output.

When I had to dps in Ioncell I had resource problems because of the lack of EB and i wasn't getting hit so my shield cycler wasnt ticking.

Anyway if people have ideas on a way to go. DPS spec, tank gear? Tank spec Dps gear? etc.

I am leaning toward tank spec in dps gear because of where the mitigation talents sit in shield spec. Its hard to increase your damage without going deeper into tactics and assault and generally taking 2 or 3 points out of ss and into tactics or assault wont increase damage.

I see what your saying. I've thought about it more as a MT though, with high DPS and high threat. You do have some points I need to consider, specifically the Shield proc to restore my ammo. Right now I don't have ammo issues, but I'm curious how it would effect me loosing that 10% shield chance.

Thanks for the input.