Why are Tracer Missiles so OP in PVP?

AssassinEz

I thought powertechs were supposed to be for pvp (insane damage, utility, mobility) and mercs were more for pve because they have no mobility and just sit there?

What the heck?? Are you sure it was a merc that killed you?

Honestly. They can down a guy in 5 hits. Doing between 1.5 - 2.6k damage a hit. They are so OP it is unbalevable. I really wish i made my BH a merc now. Because of the fact tracer missiles are so phenominal in PVP. They need a serious Nerf

Funny thing is:

If You think, that this is fast or overpowered, just wait till the day You notice the damage output of the other classes in the game.

And I mean Your own class, too. Just played by someone who knows how to do it.

If it is overpowered then it's because of Rakata 2 piece set bonuses giving it a silly crit rate which not only ups the damage (obviously) but the sustainablity of tracer spam because of energy on crit talents.

If you look at tracers numbers in isolation TM seems weak, but mercs get good support for their damage in power surge, rakata 2 piece and armor penetration stance which you can then add stims and trinkets to.

Edited by ducksmyth

Using your numbers, which I think are pretty fair:

I will give the Merc the favor of the crit gods and say 3 of the 5 hits were crit. ((2.6*3)+(1.5*2))=10.8

That is 10,800 damage in 7.5 seconds. Now it is my experience that most players have around 15k health give or take due to class or gear. A 60% crit rate for a ranged DPS class allowed to free cast for 7.5 seconds without being CC'd, interrupted, or the target moving out of LoS/range, and you would still have ~30% health.

Now we all know you would not survive being assaulted by a Merc/Commando with carte blanche for that long without having to burn some abilities/healing, so what is happening? I will let you in on the secret and tell you that you also get hit by rail shot, unload, heat-seeking missiles, possibly explosive dart, missile blast, other players, etc. You just dont notice because the sound and animation for tracer missile is all you see/hear.

You make a very good case that if all Mercs/Commandos ever really did was spam tracer/grav round we would not be nearly as effective as we really are. As a member of the Merc/Commando nation I would like to thank you for the compliment as well as for standing still like an idiot while you die.

Edited by Rendour

I think BioWare will have to increase the ambient effects of sorcs spamming lighting :p

Maybe put a huge raincloud above their heads and/or their targets!!

Atleast then all these crybabies can cry about something else than an arsenal mercs' bread and butter ability... It's not that we all hate the tracer graphics and sounds.. but half our talent tree is enhancing it :p

Not our fault, but please write a long letter to BW for them to switch the graphics to let's say Heat Seekers instead and go cry to my mother...

Mercs is the easiest class to shut down and serial ****.

Unless another merc starts off bombing you from behind or have a healer.. they're mostly free kills :)