The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

(1/22/18)

Talon_Starfire

A tank build that does not have points in the tanking tree, nor plans on using Ion Cylinder is going to be a rather terrible tank. You have some potential as a DPS (though not optimal). I think you confused this for the popular Carolina Parakeet build (I believe that is what it is called)

This is viable as a PvP spec. It is not a tank spec; not sure what those posters are suggesting. It's a PvP DPS spec to be run with the Combustible Gas Cylinder. This is great for PvP because it will allow you to manage heat with all your procs, meaning little down time; it'll give you 6s interrupts, which is frankly OP; and Hydraulic Overrides is one of the best mobility talents in the game. It's a little cluttered with abilities, as you don't really need to use Retractable Blade, so all the talents there are sort of wasted. You give up DPS from the Pyrotech tree for PvP utility.

This is viable as a PvP spec. It is not a tank spec; not sure what those posters are suggesting. It's a PvP DPS spec to be run with the Combustible Gas Cylinder. This is great for PvP because it will allow you to manage heat with all your procs, meaning little down time; it'll give you 6s interrupts, which is frankly OP; and Hydraulic Overrides is one of the best mobility talents in the game. It's a little cluttered with abilities, as you don't really need to use Retractable Blade, so all the talents there are sort of wasted. You give up DPS from the Pyrotech tree for PvP utility.
Thank you for your assessment. Also why wouldn't I use retractable blade as I'm still learning? Edited by Talon_Starfire

Thank you for your assessment. Also why wouldn't I use retractable blade as I'm still learning?

Retractable Blade's damage is low for the points you invest in the ability and the talents that improve it. The only real reason it exists is so that AP specs who use HEGC instead of CGC/IGC can have a DoT on the enemy to enable the use of Rail Shot. Since you are running CGC and have IM, Retractable Blade is redundant.

The only reason you have Retractable Blade in your build is also because you are trying to get Charged Gauntlets, which is actually a very lackluster talent. You'll have enough Tech crit chance from gear, CGC+Prototype Cylinders, buffs and such that your Rail Shot will crit 30% to 35% of the time anyway. I would invest in all the non-HEGC talents in AP, Retractable Blade, and only 1/3 into Serrated Blades so that you only need 21 points in AP for HO, then the free point you save can go into maxing out Rail Loaders in Shieldtech for another 3% Rail Shot damage.

What if I decide to use Taugrim's " Iron Fist" should I make use of it then?

Thanks

I think he uses RB for its long duration, spammable DoT to stop node cappers as opposed to for DPS purposes; IGC doesn't last nearly as long so it isn't as effective to stop caps after death. In this situation the RB is fine to have.

Since IM does a better job than RB if you are speccing 18+ into PyroTech, there's no point to using RB in your build above.