Wanting to know more

EquusMulus

Well I've been an avid watcher of the starwars movies and played quite a few of the games. I feel like I want to know more about the universe from the start so whats a good book/graphic novel to start from to understand more about the universe?

Basically I would want to read a book that not only is good but is at the start of the starwars universe as well.

Suggestions and discussion is welcome and appreciated. :]

Well I've been an avid watcher of the starwars movies and played quite a few of the games. I feel like I want to know more about the universe from the start so whats a good book/graphic novel to start from to understand more about the universe?

Basically I would want to read a book that not only is good but is at the start of the starwars universe as well.

Suggestions and discussion is welcome and appreciated. :]

At the start of the universe would be TOR Era. More comics than books in TOR Era.

But, I would start the novel called "Revan" by Drew Karpshyn. That is if you played the game, KOTOR.

Then read the Darth Bane trilogy which explains why there are only 2 Sith. And its a good read.

Then read Plageuis because it goes in dept about Palps plan for control.

Then read Shatterpoint because its one of the best books.

Then read The RoTS Novelization.

Then read the Thrawn Trilogy.

Thats my suggestion.

Edited by BrandonSM

Someone else suggested the same readings, unfortunately I would like to start even before that. I know that the "sith" were once a race and I would probably like to start around that time period for both sides or maybe even before that depending on how deep the lore is.

Comics and books are both fully welcomed as I enjoy all forms of literary reading. :]

Someone else suggested the same readings, unfortunately I would like to start even before that. I know that the "sith" were once a race and I would probably like to start around that time period for both sides or maybe even before that depending on how deep the lore is.

Comics and books are both fully welcomed as I enjoy all forms of literary reading. :]

Dawn of the Jedi is a new comic series about the beginning of the Jedi and the Rep.

Then I would move onto the Tales of the Jedi Series.

Someone else suggested the same readings, unfortunately I would like to start even before that. [...]

Since you'd like to start as at the earliest SW stories, you could start following the brand-new Dawn of the Jedi comic series published by Dark Horse. Issue #1 will be released on February 15 (a preview issue #0 was released on February 1).

After that, you'd want to move onward to the Tales of the Jedi comic series. That series starts at 5000 BBY with the very first war between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic; by the end of the series, it concludes roughly 30 years prior to KOTOR I. This series is definitely worth reading.

There's an eBook series entitled Lost Tribe of the Sith that initially starts during that war (the Great Hyperspace War); it then jumps around in time (forward, that is) to cover pivotal events in the history of this stranded group and their descendants. The eBooks are free, but there is a collected edition coming out in July that will include a new, non-eBook entry in the series. I don't think much of the quality of this series, and it is tied into providing backstory for major players in the Fate of the Jedi series (which takes place around 43 years after A New Hope).

There's also a Knights of the Old Republic comic series that takes place around 10 years prior to the first game. It currently has a sequel miniseries ongoing (Knights of the Old Republic - War). I haven't read any issues in this series, but it does seem to be well-regarded around the internet among SW fandom.

Starting 2 years after KOTOR I (then proceeding to 5 years after) is the novel The Old Republic: Revan. TOR: Deceived is also worth reading, and takes place around 10 years prior to this game (at the same time as the Sacking of Coruscant and the Treaty of Coruscant). TOR: Fatal Alliance, however, was awful. There are also three comic series under this game's umbrella. The first two - Threat of Peace and Blood of the Empire - can be read right here on the official website or purchased in trade paperback form. The Lost Suns will be released in trade paperback in April 2012.

Moving forward again, a common recommendation is the Darth Bane Trilogy, which takes place 1000 years prior to The Phantom Menace and features the birth of the "Rule of Two." I haven't read the books myself, but they tend to come up multiple times in most recommendation threads (and I have enjoyed many of Karpyshyn's other media tie-in novels). The comic miniseries Jedi vs. Sith was published prior to the Bane Trilogy and covering (some of) the same historical events (I've seen mentions that there are some consistency issues between the two works, but I haven't read this one either).

If you'd like recommendations for novels and comics set closer to the movies (or after!), I can provide some later. Since you were asking for works that were early in the timeline, I figured I'd start with the earliest and stop with the Ruusan Reformation.

Generally speaking I've found the Old Republic stuff to be lackluster even on the fairly low standard of Star Wars writing.

If you just want to learn more and wouldn't mind good reading along the way, the Rogue Squadron series and I, Jedi, are excellent reads.