Gathering: Player versus Companion

Kagekatsu

Are the companion bonus to gathering crew skills only tied to the missions? Let's say I use Scorpio (+2 crit to Slicing), does the bonus apply if:

1) The player gathers a node instead of the companion with the bonus?

2) The companion with the bonus is not your active companion?

And lastly, does the bonus even apply to gathering nodes?

I am not totally sure... because, earlier today I gathered a slicing box on Balmorra and not only did I get a get a box but also an underworld trading mission. Or is that different?

That's different. I've had this happen myself - it happens at random, irrespective of the companion you have out.

To my knowledge, crew skill bonuses of your companions only affect the speed of completing (+efficiency) and the chance to proc bonus loot (+crit) of crew skill missions.

Edited by Aerithel

I think you can crit on world nodes.

I've had times when gathering slicing nodes in the world where I'd actually harvest 2 boxes. 1 small/medium, and a second large blue one.

Since for most gathering nodes however, the crit is simply more resources, it might be difficult to tell.

Regarding the person who says that they got a slicing node that had a lockbox AND a mission... that still does not prove that your companion with a slicing crit bonus had anything to do with it. People can still naturally crit, don't forget.