Hero Engine Particle System...FPS KILLER

Bunnyboxx

My system can run everything on high, in warzones i can play without too much trouble.

I performance crashes on when theres a concentration of smoke particles in caves... like when researching the sith tablets on koriban, they are surounded by smoke effects.

Where as in skyrim and playing BF3 on ultra on a 64 player map with no loss of performance is cleary hero engine based, and needs to be optimized where we can toggle various things in game

Edited by Bunnyboxx

• 4 weeks later...

Included this in my CS thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=329543

Whenever the scene gets a lot of smoke and dust, the fps just goes downhill.

Nobody really pays attention to how smooth and foggy that smoke or fog is, or how well spread those blast particles are when playing the game. Not especially when you're too busy not getting killed in a warzone or smacking mobs while questing.

Whey the hell did they implement those things with such realism? Can't they just make those out of several sprites that are 2D and loaded as textures?

BW should let us f*cking toggle atmospheric effects and adjust particle details in-game.

Edited by noodlehaus

Anywhere there are NPCs fighting other NPCs, I noticed the FPS plummet.

e.g. Black Sun Taxi area on corsucant, or the eastern area of balmorra..

It's the particle effects they're causing, with their weapons.

Here's how I can tell it's particles:

When they are alive and firing, FPS ~ 0.1 (10 seconds per frame) to 2.0

When they are dead (my companion seems to kill them even if my computer can't render it happenning), FPS ~ 25 to 40

The only difference between them being dead, and alive, is weapons fire. The models of the enemies lying on the ground, requires just as much computing power, as when they're standing up and alive.

We need graphics options for:

Disable them completely,

Disable when not directly involving you,

Disable when not involving your group,

Enabled.

And a separate option for rendering quality/performance.

Edited by BingDaoGui

This is true. I've experienced a lot of situations where particles make the FPS drop like crazy. For instance, the first boss in EV: there's a lot of snow and wind, and every time the wind blows trough the area where players fight the boss, my FPS goes from 20 to 5.

Included this in my CS thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=329543

Whenever the scene gets a lot of smoke and dust, the fps just goes downhill.

Nobody really pays attention to how smooth and foggy that smoke or fog is, or how well spread those blast particles are when playing the game. Not especially when you're too busy not getting killed in a warzone or smacking mobs while questing.

Whey the hell did they implement those things with such realism? Can't they just make those out of several sprites that are 2D and loaded as textures?

BW should let us f*cking toggle atmospheric effects and adjust particle details in-game.

I did today funnily enough on belsavis the daily but I don't normally.

an option to reduce or remove particles would be a good thing.