Questions before making a Merc

gkshow

Hello all,

I made this exact same post in the operative class forums, but I am undecided between Mercs and Ops.

I have an Assassin, so I can tank and DPS (I'm tank spec atm) and for an alt, I want to make a classso that I can heal and DPS.

My question is, how is leveling merc as a healer?

In terms of soloing quests, do you find it difficult?

Does it only pick up after a certain level?

And in terms of healing, how do you like the class?

Thanks a lot!

Extremely easy to level as a healer, but it's quicker in Arsenal, especially with Mako being the first companion to heal you. Healing capabilities are a argumentative, but we do well enough, we just lack utility and good AoE healing.

GK, you get your 2nd companion Gault when you complete Tatooine. He's a sniper. I have a 31 merc healer and I prefer him over Mako, but I'd really prefer to hurry up and get a tank like Blizz. Basically I've hit Alderaan and it's freakin tough to be a healer. I'm probably going to respec DPS to get through Alderaan.

the "problem" that i often run into changing into a healer/tank etc spec later on is gear.

For instance on my Assassin, I leveled DPS until 32 and then switched to tank.

Now I'm having a tough time finding tank gear, and until lvl 40 i can't use the pvp gear.

In terms of stats, lets say I level as DPS and switch to healer at level 32 ish etc, do gears have similarities? I.e if I gear up for DPS, can I just switch to a healer spec by changing a few mods in my gear?

A 50 will probably have a better answer, but here's how I feel on it. I was a WoW healer (all 4 classes).

I have a 31 merc healer, a 28 Sorc healer, and a 21 Operative healer. Mercs heal like Shamans in WoW. They rely on the slow-cast heals (Sorcs rely on the slow-cast spell too, but their rotation lowers the cast time dramatically, whereas Mercs lower the heat instead). While agents also have a good slow-cast, it's part of a healing ensemble, along with a great HoT.

Alacrity would be a great merc healing stat to have because of cast times, and that could apply to DPS if you went Arsenal, but probably not to Pyrotech (they have more instants).