The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard cover

Pownor

Yeah, that'd take "ranged tanking" to an obscene level.

In PvE, hard cover can be rather handy stuff, though. Get a mob chasing you, duck behind something big enough and give your ammo/cooldowns a chance to start coming back up, or simply to let the terrain take a hit from an ability that takes time to wind up, like aimed shots.

Then pop back out and resume laying the hurt in. You can also in some cases set it up so that you're able to jump up, lob a shot OVER intervening terrain and drop back below it to frustrate return fire. This isn't going to put out the DPS like stand-and-deliver, but if you can hold aggro, it means you're getting to put some hurt on while the bad guys are mostly trying to get at you, whilst your companion/party members are shooting him in the back. When the bad guy actually gets to you, run around the cover (hopefully snaring/freezing him first, and resume kiting. When I have Aric out, this pretty much means that the mob is getting riddled with shots, and I'm barely getting scratched. Jedi might get annoyed with you making the mob run around, but I find they get used to it. Fellow Troopers generally are highly amused with the shooting gallery you present.