Veng PvP Spec and general Qs

RG_jhanlec

Thanks in advance for pointers. Looking for info form lvl 50s with experience in Veng spec for PvP. Nice to know if you swapped from Immortal what you think of the change.

So I have run immortal from lvl 23 to 50 and at 50 I have PvPd and played in Immortal spec ~95% of the time (for a month or more now). I tried rage a bit and vengeance a bit; probably a day or two of each, but since I lacked good gear for those specs I felt underwhelmed. Plus rage was a bit boring to me relying on Smash a lot.

I recently finished a DPS PvP set and respec'd into veng and was curious what changes people would make and why? My current spec.

I also realize that I change into Soresu form to get a few protection medals at the end of matches or when defending nodes from zergs (makes up maybe 1-2 min of a match). Do people typically run in Shien form or Soresu while PvPing, swap depending on situation? Swapping loses rage and it seems like a waste to spec into one form or the other if you swap a lot too. If you run in Soresu, do you use a spec more like this one? This spec is much more like the hybrid tank spec, which I ran in the past a bit, but this time in DPS gear rather than tank gear.

Any how... I am looking to change it up a bit and enjoy a different aspect of the Juggernaut right now. Getting close to BM and looking to see if DPS can add some flavor for now.

This is strictly for PvP; for PvE I am working on marauder and enjoying the class very much so far (lvl 39).

Thanks again in advance!

Edited by RG_jhanlec

Your build is pretty close to my first Veng build.

I recently swapped to 0/30/11 though. Shatter is just such a rage hog. You need the target to be armor debuffed AND have 5 rage... I just found too often I'd be slamming the key for no result and when it did fire, it seemed a kind of poor second to Impale and I'd be left without any rage.

Haven't had a huge amount of experience with it but so far Obliterate seems to be a better option. The damage isn't quite as nice as Shatter but you get a useful short range leap and it is SO much nicer to your rage pool.

This is my current build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101ZIMMRrhddMMZGd0Mz.1

I didn't want to go a half baked Veng/Rage hybrid, you can't really get the super Smash crits AND Impale so I didn't try. I just went with a pretty standard Vengeance build but having Obliterate as my 3rd skill.

It ends up kinda nice, you get a nifty heal and enough buffs to Vicious Slash to make it a useful part of your rotation again (I basically stopped using it when I had a full Veng build).

Edited by jasta_

Thanks both for the info.

Your build is pretty close to my first Veng build.

I recently swapped to 0/30/11 though. Shatter is just such a rage hog. You need the target to be armor debuffed AND have 5 rage... I just found too often I'd be slamming the key for no result and when it did fire, it seemed a kind of poor second to Impale and I'd be left without any rage.

Haven't had a huge amount of experience with it but so far Obliterate seems to be a better option. The damage isn't quite as nice as Shatter but you get a useful short range leap and it is SO much nicer to your rage pool.

This is my current build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101ZIMMRrhddMMZGd0Mz.1

I didn't want to go a half baked Veng/Rage hybrid, you can't really get the super Smash crits AND Impale so I didn't try. I just went with a pretty standard Vengeance build but having Obliterate as my 3rd skill.

It ends up kinda nice, you get a nifty heal and enough buffs to Vicious Slash to make it a useful part of your rotation again (I basically stopped using it when I had a full Veng build).

I may try the 30/11 build and see how it goes. My skill reset just cost 54k, so its gonna be back down to 500, then 3400 etc atm.

I noticed shatter was OK dps, but it didnt overwhelm me being a 31 point talent thats for sure. I can see how obliterate could be really nice. OK damage plus another gap closer. I never even realized the rage cost of it though, dang... 5 rage to cast 4 come off in Shien form. Thanks for pointing that out; makes it seem even worst for a 31 point talent.

I'm running this spec atm and I'm loving it. I always have Soretsu form on since I like to guard my team members and taunt the enemies.

I have tank armor and damage earpeice, implants, saber. I get around 120k-200k damage depending on the wz and always over 50k protection.

I may try this after if I feel overworked/medal starved. The idea above about dropping shatter and going into Invincible seems worth a try here too. Especially since I really love invincible.

In immortal spec I tend to get 40-60k protection most matches and anywhere from 90-140k damage. This spec looks remarkably similar to the hybrid tank build people tried to push a few weeks back. Which was nice in PVP I must admit, but lacked badly in PvE for defense and such. Since I am going to PvP with this toon mostly now, it may be worth going back to with mixed gear.

Thanks again both, I will give them a try and see how I like them.

Edited by RG_jhanlec

I suppose my next question is rotation preference.

Right now I usually save my force charge for gap closing after knockback, CCs or all kinds etc.

I tend to saber throw, enrage, impale, sunder armor, scream, smash (if group). Use Charge to interrupt cast or close gap, use VS as filler/rage dump. Use Ravage on the stationary targets when I am low on rage, or to get 2 quick shots on someone close to death after vicious throw if they still alive. Force choke to stop heal cast if disrupt is down, or to stop close to death runner. Use force push as last resort to save myself, or stop cast. In 1 on 1 chance encounters I use Force Push to send them away and saber throw and force charge for quick rage bar fill.

Rinse, repeat.

Thanks to Shien Form, Deadly Reprisal and Unyielding, I can pretty much slam Shatter on any target I wish in pvp. Also, having to Sunder your target before you use Shatter is a pretty much guarantee to have enough rage to pump out Shatters. Seeing as Shatter is internal damage, barnone will be able to reduce its damage, which is why I definately prefer Shatter to Obliterate.

Don't forget to spam your relics everytime they are up, they can make quite the difference on Shatters.

Just a few of my cents on Shatter.

Edited by OnyxGuard

One thing with Obliterate I didn't realise is the range is really, really small - the same as Force Scream.

If you're looking for a second Force Charge it isn't anywhere near as useful... it's more for chasing kiters than leaping around the ramps in Huttball.